Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Baja
Baja 275 Boss questions (new owner) >

Baja 275 Boss questions (new owner)

Notices

Baja 275 Boss questions (new owner)

Old 04-10-2017, 10:11 AM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Baja 275 Boss questions (new owner)

Hello!

New to the forum and first time Baja owner. I have just purchased a 2005 Baja 275 Boss and have a few questions. I have not had it out yet as it is still fairly chilly in my neck of the woods but hopefully soon!

First off what does the "boss" represent. From what I gather the Boss package was a pricey option but I'm not sure what it added to the boat. Any insight here is greatly appreciated!

My boat has the 496 mag engine. I have seen many contradicting estimates on what top speed I can expect. Is it reasonable to assume I'll get over 60? Is there any worth while power mods for the engine? I did some reading on a flash from whipple that looks promising but would like to know more about potential issues and actual gains.

Can you please recommend a good site for accessories? I am looking for a couple good throw pillows, snap in carpet, and would like to look into some LED lighting options. I would also like to purchase a GPS unit, and recommendations here is appreciated, looking to spend about 800 max. I am also curious about looking into the vinyl wraps. Are these ordered from a specific site or do you have to go through a local shop?

Thanks in advance!!
Old 04-10-2017, 10:35 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome. Great boat, congrats. Boss is a trim/bling package that added gauge bezels, carpet, delete windshield (add wind screen) and that kinda stuff. There really was no standard as those options could be added one at a time on a non Boss boat. Depends on who ordered the boat.

375 HP is going to be 60 mph boat at best. From my experience there's not a lot of after market support for bolt on type upgrades on that platform (for several reasons). Good news is those motors run good and many have 1000 hours with nothing but routine maintenance. I know it's tough but just run what ya got. When you want to go faster get a bigger/faster boat. Or swap the drive train for a 525 or whatever. I wouldn't suggest performance "wrenching" on that motor. I don't think the PCM reflash offers much "gain" if any. Good luck.

Edit: we do have a great group of Baja owners and have reasonable sources for MOST items. But it's not one stop shopping. Cockpit carpet can be sourced at Corinthian. I don't have a link handy but easy to find and they have the 275 pattern.

Last edited by Hook'em; 04-10-2017 at 10:38 AM.
Old 04-10-2017, 10:43 AM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

For cockpit carpet I would just do Seadek on the floor.
Old 04-10-2017, 10:49 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Congrats on your new boat. Before looking into performance upgrades, before you have even taken the boat out, you should get the maintenance end of your boat up to par. Here are some suggestions: Impeller changed? Is the factory brass impeller housing scored if so buy the stainless steel aftermarket? Has the coolant been changed in the closed cooling system? Drive removed, inspected, and fluid serviced? Of course plugs, oil change, oil filter and fuel filter? Have you scanned the engine for codes and operation history? A well running "slow" boat is better than a non-running fast boat. Use the boat for awhile, top speed should be right at 60, make sure your prop takes advantage of your engines upper WOT RPM range. When you are ready turning a 496 MAG into a 496 MAG HO is not a big job and gets you 50 HP.
Old 04-10-2017, 11:46 AM
Registered

Thanks for the feedback! I will see how things feel with the 496 mag and go from there. What is all involved in the HO conversion? What type of cost would I be looking at?

Any advice regarding exterior vinyl wrap is also appreciated!

Voodoorob, thanks for the advice. I will ensure everything you listed is checked and replaced as needed.
Old 04-10-2017, 12:34 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The upgrade is a cam and PCM swap. Cost depends on what you can find available and if you have the skills to change the cam yourself. I've heard you can remove the bench seat and change it in the boat. I've also heard the best bet was to buy an actual HO PCM rather than a custom tune.

Wraps are one off deals. Check around locally. Where are you BTW?
Old 04-10-2017, 12:35 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

I personally didn't do the HO conversion but talked to someone that did by us and if I remember correctly it was a re-flash of the PCM (Whipple?) or PCM swap and a cam change, very easy to do.

I did a vinyl wrap....once about 7 years ago. It looked great on our 272 Baja, cost was $3kish. The problem is any scuffing our slight abrasion will leave marks or tears in the wrap. And DO NOT SPILL gas on it, its done and over if left for any amount of time I don't know if things have improved with wrap technology.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]566242[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]566243[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]566244[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]566245[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Baja 275 Boss questions (new owner)-4-20-11-619.jpg   Baja 275 Boss questions (new owner)-img_20120606_180632.jpg   Baja 275 Boss questions (new owner)-cimg0154.jpg  

Baja 275 Boss questions (new owner)-img_20120602_112723.jpg  
Old 04-10-2017, 12:40 PM
Registered

Thanks for the fast responses guys! I may look into the HO conversion next year in the off season, it is something I can likely tackle myself, the cost of the parts would be the only expense.

Good to know about the wrap, I'll check around locally to see what is available.

I am located in Southern Ontario, I'll be boating in Lake St. Clair. for the most part. I do like to launch in Lake Erie from time to time on the calmer days. I'm about a 15 min drive from both lakes.
Old 04-10-2017, 01:34 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

275Boss - I'm in Metro-Detroit and would be happy to meet on Lk St Clair anytime with my 232. There's a little nuisance with the border, but that can be overcome easily.

The other guys are right on the Boss package and Motor.

For GPS download an app called 'isailGPS' to your phone or ipad. It works as a simple chart plotter and has most of the functions of a GPS. It should be all you need for Lk St Clair.
Old 04-10-2017, 01:45 PM
Registered

Sounds good! I do actually plan to head over to the American side quite often for all the events over there (like jobby nooner). I already have my I68 so there will be no issues heading over there.

Unfortunately my phone won't be an option. For some reason I get no reception at all while out on the lake.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.