232 Islander and transducer mounting

Notices

232 Islander and transducer mounting

Old 08-20-2017, 07:31 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 232 Islander and transducer mounting

Hi all,

I installed a new dash plate and put a Dragonfly 5 plotter/finder in, mainly for the plotter/GPS. My original Hummingbird sounder had quit working, and I liked the idea of a moving map when on the great lakes. It is in and working like a charm, but the transducer on this thing is very long. About 7" or so. Before I switched over the to new dash, I had played with the transducer and a zip lock, and found laying it in the seam beside my bilge pump it worked OK. I then siliconed it into the same seam, just using house grade silicone so I could remove it, and get nothing. I am 99% sure there was no air bubbles. I am also pretty sure I don't want to find a place 7" long and try to core through the balsa.

Any ideas? I am trying to contact Raymarine about a thru-hull ducer, but really don't want to get too pricey. I don't need good bottom definition, just the depth, and even high speed readings aren't a huge priority. I also thought about going outside on the stern, high enough to get readings at slower speeds but high enough to not drag or damage it on plane...

Anyone ever dealt with this?

Thanks,
Dig
Old 08-21-2017, 09:02 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Have to check with XT if the bottom of a 232 is Balsa... I thought it was just the sides and deck on 232's?
Old 08-21-2017, 02:28 PM
Registered

I may run up this week. I hope to fart around with the zip lock again tomorrow or the next day. I wouldn't have an issue shooting through my ski locker floor either, but would have to figure out how to route a wire there, and really don't want to reinvent the wheel. My other option is pulling my bilge pump, inserting the 'ducer into the channel that connects the locker to the bilge and trying that. I'm not sure if a transducer has a backwards or forwards, especially when I just want the depth. That channel seems to be solid, and lower than the rest of the deck. I'll try to get a pic up. [img]blob:http://www.offshoreonly.com/46a86311-8545-4c4a-96cb-d8119c3b31a9[/img]
Old 08-21-2017, 02:31 PM
Registered

[img]blob:http://www.offshoreonly.com/f5dba90b-5f8d-4a75-8f7d-14573be25d85[/img]
Old 09-12-2017, 11:39 AM
Registered

Default 232 Islander and transducer mounting

I remember that shed hehehe very old schooled rack and pinon when you going flyby wire hay?
Old 09-13-2017, 06:59 AM
Registered

The original transducer was located close to the bilge pump and there is a special reduced thickness area with no wood just for better performance of the transducer. May be hard to see with engine in but it is a flat spot area.