Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water in bilge

I lifted up the hinged step going into the cabin
and found the forward bilge with about 6 inches of
water in it. It was not enough for the forward bilge
pump to come on though. I hand pumped about 20 gallons
of water out. Thinking that the hole was just clogged
with debris, I used a plumbers snake to try and unclog
it. The hole by the bilge pump was clear but I it didnt even feel like there was a hole in the next bilge area. I removed the 2
floor panels under the bolsters and found that the fuel tank
bilge was not accessible. I cant imagine that there is no bilge drain holes for the cabin bilge or is there not supposed to be one
and that is the reason for the forward bilge pump? The water was slimy so it had been in there well before I even took
delivery of the boat. Any help or comments are greatly appreciated as always.

Jeff
Old 05-11-2003, 04:17 PM
Registered

Chris,
I have looked in every access there is. All the stringer holes that are accessible are clear. The fuel tank bilge where the problem is, is only accessible thru the round bilge access holes but with the tank covering this whole area there is no way to get to where those stringer drain holes should be. My dealer is clueless, but thats nothing new. I am calling the factory tomorrow.
Jeff
Old 05-11-2003, 05:29 PM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can relate.

There is no way for water to get out of the forward bilge on the 36 outlaw either, except for the forward pump.

It drove us absolutely crazy for about two months after we purchased the boat. Everytime we went to the lake there was a couple of gallons and we could not figure out where it was coming from. It cannot pass to the rear and exit the drain. When we would be trailering, you would be on an incline and see it coming out the side of the boat.

We then started having problems with our headliner. It started to discolor and then began to fall out at the seams.

Found out that the hatches were not dealed properly, and every time we washed the boat water entered, would run down the sides of the boat and into the forward bilge. All problems solved now, thank goodness.

It will drive you crazy though!!!!!

Hope this is not your problem.
Old 05-11-2003, 10:33 PM
Registered

From personal experience on the H2X, I can tell you that Baja sometimes neglects to drill all the proper drain holes for the cabin.
If you're talking to Frosty, he may not know of the problem, but when Lance was the maintenance super we had several serious discussions about whether or not Baja should pay for having the holes drilled.
In the end, they would not pay for it because I am the second owner. But in your case, it certainly seems they should.
Talk to Lance, and remind him of my problem with the H2X front bilge drain holes not being drilled.
Old 05-12-2003, 05:50 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had the same problem with my H2x also.
Old 05-12-2003, 07:48 AM
Registered

my first boat was a H2x and the ice chest would not drain, they forgot to drill the hole, warranty took care of it[ice chest compartment molded in floor] then the front bilge motor was wired wrong, warranty again, I was under the idea that is why they put a front bilge pump in because there is no drain to the back, that is what the dealer told me.
Baja force places for water to get in are the hatches like stated above[most common] to pop up cleat drains off, to rub rail, and anchor compartment[if front mounted] also see if you have a starboard side drain mounted at the front of your boat, good luck
Old 05-12-2003, 08:31 AM
Registered

Thanks for the replies everyone,

This is a major design flaw if you ask me. I dont like the idea of 2 teaspoons of water standing in the bilge let alone 20 freaking gallons. Why would they install the bilge pump so high as to allow that much water to stand in there? If there was a way to remove the fuel tank, without cutting out the floor, I would drill a hole in the stringer myself. I did find out something interesting though, I have a 186 gallon fuel tank (according to the sticker on the tank) instead of the standard 145 gallon.
The anchor locker drain is drilled too high as to allow it to drain properly also. I will be adding a second.
Sorry to keep rambling on but I need to vent and convince myself that I did the right thing to buy another Baja instead of the Powerquest that I was looking at.

Jeff
Old 05-12-2003, 10:25 AM
Registered

Originally posted by Bajaforce
Thanks for the replies everyone,

This is a major design flaw if you ask me. I dont like the idea of 2 teaspoons of water standing in the bilge let alone 20 freaking gallons. Why would they install the bilge pump so high as to allow that much water to stand in there? If there was a way to remove the fuel tank, without cutting out the floor, I would drill a hole in the stringer myself. I did find out something interesting though, I have a 186 gallon fuel tank (according to the sticker on the tank) instead of the standard 145 gallon.
The anchor locker drain is drilled too high as to allow it to drain properly also. I will be adding a second.
Sorry to keep rambling on but I need to vent and convince myself that I did the right thing to buy another Baja instead of the Powerquest that I was looking at.

Jeff
Dude, you did the right thing!
Old 05-12-2003, 12:55 PM
Registered

hey what kind of Baja did you get? a few bugs to work out is no big deal, most boats have a few bugs in them from all boat builders
Old 05-12-2003, 12:59 PM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you did the right thing. Powerquest is a great boat also, but I have never seen a boat ship from any factory without some problems.

A buddy bought a new Fountain 38 Sport Cruiser with Yenmar diesels and surface drives. He had it for about three months when he noticed the bildge pumps where not pumping anything out?

On futher inspection, they discovered that they were hard plumbed and the pipe used had broke under vibration. The pumps were in fact running, just pumping back into the boat.

They had to pull both engines to make the repairs.

Unlike cars, boats are totally built with the human hand. I solved my problem in the forward bilge by adding a high volume pump with a hose in the very bottom. I can manually turn it on if needed and the stock pump is still there as a backup.

Good Luck

Last edited by Dock Holiday; 05-12-2003 at 07:39 PM.

Quick Reply: Water in bilge

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.