Help me find the right prop !!!! >

Help me find the right prop !!!!

Notices

Old 06-03-2003, 06:37 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just purchased a 2002 baja 25 outlaw with a 496 HO Mag, a bravo drive with 1.5 gears, trim tabs, mufflers - yuk, and a 23 pitch mirage prop.

I was wondering if anyone had tested props on this setup. Can you tell me what prop worked best, RPM's, speed, what work was done on the prop and how a labed prop allows you to go up in pitch and what work needs to be done on a prop to make it work better.

Does anyone have a spare prop for this setup that wants to sell it or let a boating buddy try it?

Thanks in advance....
Old 06-03-2003, 07:04 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

You have the best prop already, get rid of those muffelers quick, get some ss angle tips from www.eddiemarine.com

I've tried several props, running a bigger wheel may sound cool but you need to keep it in the 5,000 rpm range
Old 06-03-2003, 07:19 PM
Registered

Call Matt at Throttle-Up Props. 727-531-2255
He knows his business and is hell of a nice guy, he will treat you right.
Old 06-04-2003, 07:06 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I've been running a 25"P Mirage Plus that has been lab-finished. The diameter was cut down 3/8" the blades thinned, cupping added and the diffuser ring cut off. I can achieve about 4950rpms with this prop lightly loaded and it gained 3.5mph over my stock 23. I still like the 23 when I'm haevy, though. It planes better and handles the rough better and accelerating.

Next, would be to lab-finish my 23, it may perform as good as the 25.
Old 06-04-2003, 07:58 AM
Registered

Thanks guys for the info. It sounds like I'm already where I need to be. Can you tell me what lab finishing and cupping props is all about?

Thanks a lot
Old 06-04-2003, 08:46 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

In a nutshell, lab-finishing is an metalurgical artform, perfected by only a select few, which consists of fine-tuning a propellor in the areas of weight and balance, optimum blade thickness, rake angles, pitch, cupping proportion and many other variables.

The cupping on a prop blade is a little curl on the trailing edge. It acts much like a flap on an aircraft wing and changes the lift(thrust) of the blade. It also affects how a prop lifts the stern or the bow. Some props carry the bow up high, while other will lift the stern more.

Many good prop experts can customize props to best achieve maximum performance out of a certain boat/engine/drive combination.

In other words, it's black magic!

Last edited by Baja Daze; 06-04-2003 at 08:48 AM.
Old 06-04-2003, 10:28 AM
Registered

Thanks Nick..sounds like you've been there done that. Would you recommend anything that I should do to get maximum performance out of my 25? Not just top end but also hole shot, cruising, efficiency, etc.

Thanks a lot..You have been very helpful
Old 06-04-2003, 10:31 AM
Registered

I have also heard that Baja boats have a hook in the stern of the boat that causes them to porpoise more than other boats. Is this true? Does it hurt the performance if it exists? How much hook is there and how do you tell if it exists? If there what can be done about it or should I not even worry about it.

Thanks
Old 06-04-2003, 10:44 AM
Allan4

Not sure about the 25, but I have a hook on my 24. Yes, it does porpoise at about 55-58 or so, not above or below for the most part and can be corrected with some trim or tabs. It is annoying as hell though. The hook is at about the last 6" of the hual....it actually hooks down. Think of it this way.....

Rocker and Hook are like left and right. One is the opposite of the other. Well, a wake board or a hockey skate blade have rocker in them...then bend up at the ends....so a hook is, ofcourse, the opposite. The lowest part of the hook is at the very end where the bottom of the boat sqaures off at the transom. You can feel it or see it if you know what you are looking for, not very hard to find typically.

I have heard nightmares about removing the hook, the handle of the boat goes to hell and it is hard to get dialed in right. Just leave it be is my .02

BTW...anyone ever buzz a Rev4 or B4blade on a 25. Man, with the improvement I got on mine, the right 4 blade oughtta really help a 25....although I am aware of the big hual diffs. Find one that lets you spin 4900 or 5000 and that should be a great piece, don't ya think?

Good luck...hammer down

Old 06-04-2003, 10:47 AM
Allan4

oooppssss,

mistyped, meant to say "they" bend up at the ends, not "then" bend up at the ends.

If I were Daze I could click and paste and move and all sorts of s*** and get it all fixed without this post to tell you about it....but I'm not......

Quick Reply: Help me find the right prop !!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.