Generators >

Generators

Notices

Generators

Old 07-15-2003, 11:17 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Generators

What kind and what size are in most boats? Where can you buy them? Is there a marine generator or can you use any kind? Will one fit in the engine compartment on an 02 25 Outlaw? I am thinking about putting air conditioning in the boat.

Sorry for all the questions but I have no clue.
Old 07-15-2003, 12:19 PM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 36 has every option BUT a generator. I wish at times when we are anchored out that I had one, but they are HEAVY.

I have been looking at the new generation of units from Honda and Yamaha. These are really slick units that don't weigh much, can run all night on a gallon of fuel. My thought were if I can find one that will run the A/C and the battery charger I would carry it with me, tie it on the swim platform while in use and leave it at home when I did not need it.

Another idea is to do like OSO member Steelware did. He has A/C in his 25 Outlaw that is AWESOME and does not requir a generator. Do a search on here under his screen name and you will find some details. Hopefully he will sign on this link also.

Good luck
Old 07-15-2003, 01:06 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Like Dock was saying I used the Bay Air from Innova Tech. Then I took it apart and installed it where the porta pottie is. It works great we spent the 3rd and 4th on the boat and stayed cool all night. Another option is a built in A/C that uses an inverter, I think they make one now that will last all night on the charge of one battery. By the time you buy the inverter and A/C unit you would probably have about $2,500 in it.

Here is a link to the first thread.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...ight=steelware
Old 07-15-2003, 02:08 PM
Registered

Did you modify an ice chest to use with it? Do you use block ice or crushed ice? Did you hard wire it or do you plug it into your cig lighter. I have a seperate power source I installed for my DVD and my fans, could I use this as my power source? Where did you buy it? I found one at Overtons for $1049.00, is that a good price.

Thanks!!!
Old 07-15-2003, 02:12 PM
outlawntexas

My 342 has a 4.5 KW Westerbeke gasoline generator:

http://www.westerbeke.com/

It's great, just push a button to choke and a button to start and it's off and running. Then you can charge all of your on-board batteries, run the A/C without shorepower and even run the ice maker

It also has a "hush box" sound enclosure. Very quiet. Don't know where you would put it an Outlaw though. That's why I bought the 342.

Bruce...

Old 07-15-2003, 03:05 PM
Registered

I have a 38 Special and use the Honda 2000 on it. It does a great job and will run the A/C all night anchored without running ou of fuel.
If anyone is interested in the Honda portables, I am a Honda dealer and will be happy to give you a deal on one!
Old 07-15-2003, 03:06 PM
Registered

I saw a Donzi at a boat show once that had the generator installed under the rear bench seat.
Old 07-15-2003, 03:30 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes I did modify and Ice chest. I got one that is small enough that you can still get around in the cabin.

I take one gallon zip lock bags and fill them with water and freeze them. They last a lot longer than bags of ice.

I did hard wire the unit in.

I got my unit directly from Innova Tech, and I can't remember what I paid for it, but I think it was something close to that.

If you still have my telephone number give me a call, and I can give you some pointers about the two different ways I installed it. If you don't have the number let me know and I will send you an e-mail with it.

[email protected]
Old 07-15-2003, 04:22 PM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Originally posted by kr1276
I have a 38 Special and use the Honda 2000 on it. It does a great job and will run the A/C all night anchored without running ou of fuel.
If anyone is interested in the Honda portables, I am a Honda dealer and will be happy to give you a deal on one!
KR,

I'm interested in one. I really don't know what I need in terms of amps/watts etc to operate the A/C.

Let me know what it takes, weight and price.

This would be great for me and could be used for other things as well.

Thanks
Old 07-15-2003, 04:26 PM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Originally posted by 29 OUTLAW
I saw a Donzi at a boat show once that had the generator installed under the rear bench seat.
Yes, I know a guy with a Donzi with one under the seat. There is a REAL down side to the way Donzi did it though. They installed it and built the boat on top of it. If you ever had a problem that required pulling it out you would have to get out a saw and start cutting fiberglass. As long as I have seen generators last this probably would not be a big concer, but a concern anyway.

Quick Reply: Generators

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.