S-steel rub rail installation >

S-steel rub rail installation

Notices

S-steel rub rail installation

Old 09-25-2003, 06:55 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default S-steel rub rail installation

Got an issue with my 232. Had the white vinyl rub rail first. It kept going out of the track all summer. Send the boat back to dealer last year and he negociated a deal with Baja wich is replacing with a s-steel rub rail for only 300$ CAN. So over the winter, my dealer replaced the rail with the S-steel one. WHAT A MESS!!!! Goog job execept for the front part (two plies in the steel and a lot of calking to hide the bad job). He says that Baja only sends straight rub rails and the dealers have to make the form in the front part of the boat!? In dosent come in the V shape. Here is a pict. So I asked them to correct the problem for winter : Answer : I hope we are going to be able to do better !!! Man, that is disapointing. Is there a technique that I should teach my DEALER ??? Any suggestions????
Thanks

JS232
p002688
Attached Thumbnails S-steel rub rail installation-p0002688.jpg  
Old 09-26-2003, 11:55 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just an idea...

Something that came to mind was this. Try cutting the rail? Maybe at those area's or the rest of the rail will match/line up better?

As I think about it more, not that I have done any replacements, but I've seen many boats with several pieces of rail in them. Just curious how many pcs are there in a typical stainless steel rub rail?

I know on mmy 272 at each area of the transom, it does not line up well or at the bow cleat turn either.

Also, try posting the technical subject, you might get more responses too. Have you tried emailing Baja for any tips or tech advice?

Mike
Old 09-27-2003, 02:43 AM
GeoGraphics INC

When we were painting all the custom Baja's we would rub rail them here for the factory (we did a better job and they did not want the paint to get scratched) I made a wooden bending jig, we would do the nose first and then the transom corners and fill in the rest with staight pieces.