More 30 Outlaw stuff >

More 30 Outlaw stuff

Notices

More 30 Outlaw stuff

Old 10-19-2003, 11:49 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default More 30 Outlaw stuff

I just got back from the Annapolis Boat Show. The local dealer had a 30 Outlaw up there. The boat was a loaner from Baja however, it was not the blue and orange prototype they’ve been dragging around all year. This looked like a regular boat. It had 496HO’s. The guys from the dealer said they were able to get it up to 78mph. One thing to note about that speed is the fact that they’ve only had the boat for a couple days. This would mean any speed runs they made were this week. Daytime temps this week were only in the low 60’s.

The things I liked about the boat are too numerous to list here. Some things I didn’t are:

1) The cabin does not have a dedicated v-berth for laying or sleeping. The only was to lay down in the cabin is to use filler panels in the walkway between the couches. This really sucks cause it means you can’t have one person laying in the berth while another person sits on the couches. It’s always going to be one or the other. In the area where the berth would normally be is a small, triangular pad big enough for a cooler, a very small child, or in the case of GottaHaveIt, his little Chihuahua. The addition of the galley and the enclosed head forces this configuration.

2) The cabin floor is finished in a gray fiberglass liner with a little lay-in carpet down the middle. It doesn’t necessarily look bad but it has lots of angles and complex curves which attract stress cracks.

3) The 30 Outlaw does not use old-school construction. It uses a prefab fiberglass grid system similar to what’s used on the 20 Outlaw. I’m sure there are a lot of smart engineers who would say it’s better and I’m sure there are a lot of smart engineers who would say it’s junk. I don’t know enough to say either way. It does make the inside of the engine room look interesting. Instead of the normal bare fiberglass painted white like we are all used to, the inside of the engine room looks like a big, gray hot-tub.

4) They told me that 30 Outlaws with regular 496’s will not come standard with external steering. If true, this seems kind of irresponsible for a builder to build a boat that runs 70+ without making external steering standard. Or perhaps Baja knows that a 30 with regular 496’s will not run much over 70 but I doubt it. (29’s with regular 496’s had external standard.)

The dealer told me he is getting a 30 Outlaw in on 15 November as follows:

Regular 496’s
Shore Power.
Swim Platform
SST

It will be selling for $132,000 (no trailer).

Last edited by 29 OUTLAW; 10-19-2003 at 01:31 PM.
Old 10-19-2003, 07:08 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WOW 132k and no trailer, hope they dont price them so high they dont sell any!!! maybe I will see one soon myself, thanks for the post outlaw29
Old 10-19-2003, 09:14 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a Baja Dealer tell me his cost on a 30 Outlaw base boat with 496 HO's was $104,000. Just thought this may help someone who is looking to buy one. I know the MSRP is alot higher, but he said this was his cost.
Old 10-20-2003, 08:59 AM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Thanks very much for the update, this is the most information I have heard so far.

I was really excited about the 30 Outlaw at first, but is has drug on so long now that I am starting to wonder. The boat should have been on the market a year ago.

As for the construction, I personally like the old tried and proven. I certainly hope this works well, it better if Baja wants to get these prices for a 30 foot boat. A little steep I think, but sure helps keep the resale up on the 36!
Old 10-20-2003, 09:45 AM
Registered

As for the price, it was a win-win situation for me. If they were priced low enough, I just might have gotten one. If they were priced way out of reach, my boat starts to look like a good alternative for $50K - $60K less.

In terms of construction - Back when boat builders just started building fiberglass boats I'm sure that some of the wooden boat builders were sitting back laughing "imagine that, a plastic boat!!!". Well, we all know who got the last laugh. It could be the same way with some of these new-fangled building techniques but it's too early to tell. At any rate, I'm not sure I want to be one of the trailer blazers when my $130,000 is at stake.
Old 10-20-2003, 10:41 AM
Registered

Boattest.com now has a video test of the 30 Outlaw. In the video you will see the Chihuahua sized v-berth as well as the exposed grey friberglass in the cabin. That same exposed grey fiberglass extends all the way back to the engine room (hot tub look that I referred to).

At the end of the video he mentions top speed as 70.8mph at 4800rpm.

Last edited by 29 OUTLAW; 10-20-2003 at 10:45 AM.
Old 10-20-2003, 05:37 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice review, 29. Thanks.