just got back from the austin boat show >

just got back from the austin boat show

Notices

just got back from the austin boat show

Old 01-15-2004, 10:37 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default just got back from the austin boat show

nothing big there, but the ski dock did have a 30 outlaw there.

I like the look, but the cabin is redesigned. where the v berth usually is, there is a SMALL storage space, and the couches are 7 1/2 feet long, that convert to a bed. cockpit space is about the same as the 29. it had 496's (non ho) boat show price of 120

not much on performance boats, fountain was there, and they had a couple of nordics.
Old 01-16-2004, 10:02 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cincinnati boat show was about the same. 3 or 4 bajas, no 30 though. Two sunsations, one had the helm that lifted up to get int othe cuddy, seems like a big inconvienence to me. And two Fountains. Oh yea and a local dealer picked up the Checkmate line and has a 27 and a 28 footer in stock. they only brought the 27 to the show. That was all the performance boats at the entire show.
Old 01-16-2004, 05:41 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: just got back from the austin boat show

Originally posted by BajaRunner
nothing big there, but the ski dock did have a 30 outlaw there.

I like the look, but the cabin is redesigned. where the v berth usually is, there is a SMALL storage space, and the couches are 7 1/2 feet long, that convert to a bed.
Anyone who’s spent a lot of overnights on their boat knows that cabin in the 30 is trouble. Most boats that size have a dedicated berth AND dedicated couches. Folks who overnight a lot on their boats know how often they find themselves in a situation where one person (usually the wife) wants to lay down but the other person (usually us guys) want to remain up and seated on the couch. The 30 Outlaw offers an “all-or-nothing” cabin configuration. When the wife decides she wants to lay down and go to sleep, guess what – you guys are going to have to lay down and go to sleep whether you want to or not. I suppose you could put only “half” of the filler cushions in and one person can lay and the other sit, but there’s no privacy between the two areas. Like I said, anyone who overnights a lot knows exactly what I’m talking about.

This configuration may have been necessary due to structural requirements, bulkhead locations, etc., but if not, then the “genius” who came up with this idea needs to spend some nights on the boat with his wife. The “all-or-nothing” cabin configuration is what you would expect on a 23 footer but not on something 30 foot in length.

Last edited by 29 OUTLAW; 01-16-2004 at 05:48 PM.
Old 01-16-2004, 06:44 PM
Registered

I thought the same thing when I saw the 30 at the houston show, the cabin layout is not a top pick for me at least, so far no big speed increase over a new 29. it's only a little over a foot longer, I'm not sold, I will keep my 29 for a while longet then maybe get a 33 [unless the price drops on the 30 ]
Old 01-16-2004, 06:57 PM
Registered

Default Re: Re: just got back from the austin boat show

Originally posted by 29 OUTLAW
Anyone who’s spent a lot of overnights on their boat knows that cabin in the 30 is trouble. Most boats that size have a dedicated berth AND dedicated couches. Folks who overnight a lot on their boats know how often they find themselves in a situation where one person (usually the wife) wants to lay down but the other person (usually us guys) want to remain up and seated on the couch. The 30 Outlaw offers an “all-or-nothing” cabin configuration. When the wife decides she wants to lay down and go to sleep, guess what – you guys are going to have to lay down and go to sleep whether you want to or not. I suppose you could put only “half” of the filler cushions in and one person can lay and the other sit, but there’s no privacy between the two areas. Like I said, anyone who overnights a lot knows exactly what I’m talking about.

This configuration may have been necessary due to structural requirements, bulkhead locations, etc., but if not, then the “genius” who came up with this idea needs to spend some nights on the boat with his wife. The “all-or-nothing” cabin configuration is what you would expect on a 23 footer but not on something 30 foot in length.

Hmm, I have noticed you never have anything nice to say about the 30. Does this have something to do with making your boat look more appealing to a potential buyer on the board?
Old 01-16-2004, 07:22 PM
Registered

Default Re: Re: Re: just got back from the austin boat show

Originally posted by TEAMBAJA
Hmm, I have noticed you never have anything nice to say about the 30. Does this have something to do with making your boat look more appealing to a potential buyer on the board?
You are correct – I have few nice things to say about the 30 but it has nothing to do with the fact that I have a 29. It has to do with this:

1) Above - I talked about the cabin issue. Even a 29 gives you better options in terms on one guy laying and one guy sitting. That 30 cabin is what I would expect on a 23 (everyone lays or everyone sits).

2) Early reports regarding the 30 claimed that all the expensive design work and testing would result in a boat that would run 5-6 mph faster than an equally powered 29. Now that the boat is out, folks are claiming speeds equal to a 29.

3) Baja is not offering any $$ incentives on the 30 like they are on all their other boats. Bottom line – because of the “skim-the-cream” marketing of the 30, a person can get a 33 for the same money.

4) Also – I have never mentioned it before but I also think that gray fiberglass liner in the 30 cabin is trouble. Every boat I’ve ever seen with a fiberglass liner in the cabin suffers from stress cracks all over the place. Even though it’s not a structural issue, I would be so bummed out if I had to look at stress cracks in the cabin. I would rather look at carpet.

5) OSO member “new29ol” just bought a 2004 29 Outlaw with 496mags for $87,000 with a trailer. An equal 30 Outlaw would have cost $127,000.

These are a few things to start with. Please give me a reason why someone should spend 40K more for a boat that’s 1 foot longer – please give me a reason!!!
Old 01-16-2004, 07:40 PM
Registered

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: just got back from the austin boat show

You are correct – I have few nice things to say about the 30 but it has nothing to do with the fact that I have a 29. It has to do with this:

1) Above - I talked about the cabin issue. Even a 29 gives you better options in terms on one guy laying and one guy sitting. That 30 cabin is what I would expect on a 23 (everyone lays or everyone sits).

2) Early reports regarding the 30 claimed that all the expensive design work and testing would result in a boat that would run 5-6 mph faster than an equally powered 29. Now that the boat is out, folks are claiming speeds equal to a 29.

3) Baja is not offering any $$ incentives on the 30 like they are on all their other boats. Bottom line – because of the “skim-the-cream” marketing of the 30, a person can get a 33 for the same money.

4) Also – I have never mentioned it before but I also think that gray fiberglass liner in the 30 cabin is trouble. Every boat I’ve ever seen with a fiberglass liner in the cabin suffers from stress cracks all over the place. Even though it’s not a structural issue, I would be so bummed out if I had to look at stress cracks in the cabin. I would rather look at carpet.

5) OSO member “new29ol” just bought a 2004 29 Outlaw with 496mags for $87,000 with a trailer. An equal 30 Outlaw would have cost $127,000.

These are a few things to start with. Please give me a reason why someone should spend 40K more for a boat that’s 1 foot longer – please give me a reason!!!

Ok, thats a totally fair reply. I expected you to come out of the corner swinging.

Personally, I think it will be all about who is the first kid on the block to own one. Remember when cars like the PT Cruiser and when the Beetle came back, people were paying OVER sticker price? Does that make sense?
Old 01-16-2004, 08:03 PM
Registered

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: just got back from the austin boat show

Ok, thats a totally fair reply. I expected you to come out of the corner swinging.

Personally, I think it will be all about who is the first kid on the block to own one. Remember when cars like the PT Cruiser and when the Beetle came back, people were paying OVER sticker price? Does that make sense?
I plan on keeping my 29 for at least 2 more seasons. After that, I will be getting out of boating all together. All I can say is I’m glad I got to experience a twin BB boat while I could still afford one. I will have no problem stepping down in a couple years since I’ve had the twin BB experience. I feel sorry for guys trying to get into a twin BB now with boats like an HO 30O/L running $140K .
Old 01-16-2004, 08:27 PM
Registered

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: just got back from the austin boat show

I plan on keeping my 29 for at least 2 more seasons. After that, I will be getting out of boating all together. All I can say is I’m glad I got to experience a twin BB boat while I could still afford one. I will have no problem stepping down in a couple years since I’ve had the twin BB experience. I feel sorry for guys trying to get into a twin BB now with boats like an HO 30O/L running $140K .
Has anyone on the board actually bought one yet? I havent heard of anyone here owning a 30 yet. Should be a few of them out there now.

I'll probably be forced to stick with a single engine for awhile. Alot less money to gas up a single engine 350 boat! Not the fastest, but at least its boating!
Old 01-16-2004, 09:18 PM
Registered

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: just got back from the austin boat show

Has anyone on the board actually bought one yet? I havent heard of anyone here owning a 30 yet. Should be a few of them out there now.
Blake (TBM) is signing the paperwork for one. I guess he is cream getting skimmed.

He hasn't shared his price with us so who knows.

Quick Reply: just got back from the austin boat show

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.