Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Baja
Hatch Lift Motor >

Hatch Lift Motor

Notices

Hatch Lift Motor

Old 05-06-2004, 07:58 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Can I re-use the hatch switch that I have now with the relay block from Eddie Marine? If so, do I just disconnect the power feed to the switch, and disconnect the wires the connect the down to the up and up to the down?

Thanks
Allen
Old 05-06-2004, 03:36 PM
Senior Member # 68
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Allen,
You still can use the original switch,just disconnect the hot lead going to it.For covenience I added a second switch in the back seat area,now I can raise or lower from dash or rear seat...If you're lucky,you will have enough slack in the wires coming from switch to actuator,to just cut them and add terminals.Then run a hot and a ground to relay box...
Steve
Old 03-19-2005, 10:35 PM
technicalex

Default Re: Hatch Lift Motor

Speaking of hatch motors, I took mine out and opened it up. It's been awhile since I did any DC motor repair, but what I found puzzles me.
My entire motor was filled with grease...packed in grease. almost like a wheel bearing. i would think this would affect the brushes or dc-motor principles.
I have cleaned all of it out, but wonder if I should repack or leave alone. Has anyone attempted a rebuild or know if packing a DC motor with grease is normal?

thanx.

Old 03-20-2005, 01:04 PM
Registered

I've found the power wiring to the dash, stereo, etc is undersized from the factory. Add to this connections becoming loose and corroded and electical problems start occurring. Check and clean all your connections and if that doesn't work install bigger gauge wire for power and ground. Good luck!!
Old 03-20-2005, 04:02 PM
Registered

Here is the wiring diagram I used, works perfect !
Attached Thumbnails Hatch Lift Motor-safe-hatch-wiring.jpg  
Old 03-20-2005, 05:06 PM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What Steve says about the relay box is correct.

I lost one them replaced it using the relay box and it made a big difference.

The only problem is that now I burn up the relay boxes. I replaced it twice.

At the Miami boat show I fell in love with the hydraulic cylinders they were using in the upscale boats.

Funny, but I just spoke to Fred at Trick Marine about this last Thursday and he said he could provide me with the complete hydraulic setup and would have a price Monday (tomorrow).

They are not cheap, but they are the best mouse trap in my opinion!

Give fred a call if you are interested.
Attached Thumbnails Hatch Lift Motor-dsc03574.jpg   Hatch Lift Motor-dsc03575.jpg  
Old 03-20-2005, 07:38 PM
Registered

Dock Holiday, are you talking about the dana hydraulics that attach to the gunwales? If so let us know how much as they are close to a grand in the latest powerboat mag.
Old 03-21-2005, 07:16 AM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Garshev,

I know what you are talking about. Those are very nice, I like the way they work, but are too hard to install and set up in my opinion.

What I referring to is simply replacing your electric screw jack with a hydraulic cylinder, like I pictured above.

They are smooth and fast. You do have to add an additional pump however.

Doc
Old 03-22-2005, 01:19 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by technicalex
Speaking of hatch motors, I took mine out and opened it up. It's been awhile since I did any DC motor repair, but what I found puzzles me.
My entire motor was filled with grease...packed in grease. almost like a wheel bearing. i would think this would affect the brushes or dc-motor principles.
I have cleaned all of it out, but wonder if I should repack or leave alone. Has anyone attempted a rebuild or know if packing a DC motor with grease is normal?

thanx.
The company I work for services BIG dc motors. We service motors up to 10,000 horsepower. Typically these motors come from steel mills, power plants and coal mines. I can tell you that I have never seen a large dc motor packed with grease intentionally. I would have to believe it would have an affect on the brush life and commutation both. I'm not sure with 12 vdc motors though.
Now I'm curious about what my hatch lift motor looks like inside...
Old 03-26-2005, 11:49 AM
Registered

DayTripper, I guess it's the DIY'er in me who needs to tear things apart in hopes of repairing...and with no extra parts.

But this should have been a straight-forward repair. The grease thing has me not putting the lift in until I know one way or the other. I've tried contacting Acculift and the parent company but so far I can only post a message. I'm trying Baja as well.

From what I can tell, the motor parts are in good shape with little wear. I assume the grease may have been slowing the lift down since the armature had to spin in grease and not freely.
...or it could be this was covered in college and I skipped that day

Thanx again. I'm curioius to hear what you found.

Quick Reply: Hatch Lift Motor

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.