Notices

wtf

Old 07-04-2004, 08:21 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wtf

just repowered my 36 outlaw with 509 550 hp ,boat used to run 5100 rpm with 23 mirages and 66 mph with 415 hp.I am now running 26 4 blade bravos and can only spin them 4800 top speed of 70 on gps.Any one have a 36 outlaw with 500 hps?This boat should run 75 easy wtf.
Old 07-04-2004, 08:43 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: wtf

i rode in my friends 36 outlaw yesterday w/500hps. 71mph.
Old 07-04-2004, 12:05 PM
Allan4

What kind of ft/bls/tq did you pick up and at what rpms? Where is peak tq and Hp?

Has ALOT to do with it...2 differ theories too...the big hp/high rpm theory and the big tq theory.

Both work, just a matter of getting the setup right and what type of performance you want out of it.

Old 07-04-2004, 11:16 PM
Registered

never dynoed the motors but they are 509 cu inch,merlin heads single plane merlin 1 inch carb spacer 830 holley full msd,gil exhaust and full roller with crane 741 cam.I have not installed thermostats yet,. the motors are running way too cool around 110 degrees.Iwill install thermostats,and check carbs this thing smells rich at idle dont know what the jet sizes are.i guess its time to dig in .
Old 07-05-2004, 03:24 PM
Allan4

Do you know what Compression Ratio you have? Iron or Alum heads?

You are probably close on the 550hp #. I have had a couple different parts combos in a 509 and yours sounds about right. With the single plane and 741 I am betting you have a pretty "spikey" tq curve and not bigtime midrange. Also...those 1 " spacers can be tq killers, but sometimes they can also pick up the numbers too. I have seen it both ways. I am not an expert, but I have messed with the 502-509 N/A motor stuff a bit the last few years, just going by what I have seen. The problem I can see with your combo is that you probably are making power at higher rpms but not getting there. Perhaps try proping for 5,200-5,500 and see what happens. With a single plane, 741 and spacer the motor was likely built more for hp than tq....and the way to take advantage of that is spin it...you gotta go reach the number. That is why the dyno is a engine builders best freind. Not only to make sure it runs and does not leak, etc...but to find the sweet spots and see what rpm to target for, where it makes the best tq and hp, etc...

YOu have MAG motors, so if you are confident of the bottom end and v-train components, I would throw the 23's back on there and see what happens. Put a 6k chip in the ign boxes for safety. If you get up that high a few times, you will not have any problems, unless you have a problem already. They will take it. From there, try some 25 3 blades or even a set of 23Rev4's. Maybe some Bravo 24's too. You probably are leaving some speed on the table by not spinning the motors hard enough. I will be spinning my 595hp 509 at about 5800- 6K whenever it is I get the thing done!! We ran dyno sweeps to 6500. For you...for regular use, maybe keep it under 53-5500 or so...not sure what parts you are running. Even then you might be leaving some power on the table. If you had a 731 Crane, Dual plane intake, etc...I would say otherwise, prop for Tq and 5200 is prolly fine, for you would have alot better Tq curve. Also, you just never know until you prop test. Everyboat is different. I know guys that spin BBC's to 6500+ and more with no issues...but the v-trains are beefed up.

I would let it run a bit rich at idle....you are not going to be able to dial it in to perfection without the help of a dyno anyway (unless you are REALLy good ) so I would err on the side of caution and keep it fat. A little loading at idle won't hurt you enough to tell the difference with your motors. Safer that way too.

Good luck, hope that helps. Just my .02

Old 07-05-2004, 03:27 PM
Allan4

Oh...one more thing...there are alot of guys around here with more knowledge than me...might want to ask around, but what I posted above is what I would do if it were my motors...

That....and throw some K&N filters on the motors...good for about 75-100rpm and maybe 3/4-1 mph on my boat (24 Outlaw)

Old 07-06-2004, 02:58 PM
Xtreme Cooler Test Dumby
Platinum Member

70mph with 1100 hp spinning 26 4 blades = motor problems.
You should be running AT EAST 28p-30p with that H.P.
4800 seems a little odd as well. I'll Take a stab in the dark and say
that motor configuration should be turning 52-5400 rpm's.
Just out of curiousity what drives are you using? I know a lot of the "beefed" up stuff can really rob power. GL
Old 07-06-2004, 07:07 PM
Registered

Re: wtf

thanks guys for the replys,the motors are 9.5 to 1 compression with 345 cc merlin heads,741 cam,and 830 holley anulars,I ran a pair of 24 bravo 1s and spun 5400 rpm the boat felt slower although no gps at the time.Im runnning stock bravos 1.5.I will try and spin this thing higher and will post as soon as possible.I must say it sounded sweet at 5400 rpm.ps im running crane gold series rockers,roller lifters with bars,and big pushrods.

Last edited by plumbers crack; 07-06-2004 at 07:13 PM.
Old 07-08-2004, 04:59 PM
Allan4

Yeah, but with those big heads you are definitely losing some more TQ. Be sure to take that GPS with you. If not, as long as the speedo works it will give you a pos or neg reference point, even if it is off a few mph, you will still know if you are faster or slower. Also...write all this stuff down after each run/test. Keep in mind that changing conditions WILL effect performance. Quite a bit potentially.

With that cr you are, like you said, right about 550 or so would be my guess, but I bet the tq is not much more than that, might even be less. It might just be you have a real crappy parts combo. It would not be the first time. Sometomes combos just hate eachother and it kills performance bigtime. I mean....345cc Heads, 741, Single Plane, 509ci = unoptimal tq in what I have seen, but it might make pretty good high end hp #'s, but if you are not getting the perf you want or expect you should, my guess is that the power is just not there. That combo you listed would be more for a 572 or something, IMHO. 305-315cc MAX would be ideal on your combo. Not too get crazy, but you might want to prop for even more than 5500, pending prop tests, just to see what happens. I would go back to the 23's for kicks and see what happens. You already know 48-5200 is not good. Just shooting from the hip here, take my advice for what it's worth. I don't profess to be an expert and I don't know what all components you have, etc...also, if you get up to 6k-ish, don't leave it pinned there too long until you are sure the motors will take it (ask the builder). I am just going by what you have told us here. Maybe post in the tech section and see what they think about that motor parts combo.

Good luck.