My Baja Tour >

My Baja Tour

Notices

My Baja Tour

Old 02-01-2005, 08:33 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My Baja Tour

I would like to thank Pam for showing me around today. Super nice and informative, and has a Harley!!!

Thank you Ernie, Dave and of course Greg for showing me the new prototypes and the way a boat is designed.

I enjoyed seeing how the different elements of Baja came together and now have a new appreciation for boat design and manufacturing.

Did you know baja cuts their own wood and hand sews each stitch of fabric in house?

The new 405 will be quite the boat for the sport cruiser crowd. A lot of new technology will be incorporated from the knowledge of the 23 and 30' designs and their construction. Bye Bye rotten wood stringers hello fast luxury

For all the other other guys bashing "Baja's" paint jobs, I guarantee more cost labor and quality goes into Gel coating the graphics than paint.
Old 02-01-2005, 08:36 PM
Registered

Default Re: My Baja Tour

BTW the smell of fresh cut wood and fiberglas resin has that New boat smell. I have been in repair shops but is not the same as in the factory

Sorry no pics. Not allowed.
Old 02-01-2005, 08:48 PM
Registered

Received 126 Likes on 52 Posts

I have been there on a number of occasions and I love that place. I just wish I could take a souvenier home each time..............LIke a 36 or 40 ol.

Bajalion Did you get the boat put back togehter? Tested?
Old 02-01-2005, 09:15 PM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Sweet!

Great Experience.
Old 02-02-2005, 07:32 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Pics not allowed???

Dock, didn't you take a bunch of pics from your tour?
Old 02-02-2005, 07:50 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What did you think about the 405 and what is the schedule on it?
Old 02-02-2005, 08:06 AM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Originally Posted by CigDaze
Pics not allowed???

Dock, didn't you take a bunch of pics from your tour?
Hey Daze,

How you doing brother? Hope the Cig is serving you well.

Yes, I was fortunate to have been able to take pictures of the plant. They were very nice in allowing that and we took them from start to finish.

I shared the link on webshots with Team Baja Marine and Blake received a call that Baja wanted the link removed from his site, and he called me and said it would probably be a good idea if I did not leave the link up. I have deleted them from Webshots, but we have them which I still enjoy looking at from time to time.

Personally I do not understand this policy. I have been to Fountain and they have a no photo policy, but really they did not have much going on. I thought it was so people did not see how little was happening at that time! Have been to one othere small builder and they had no problem with pictures.

Baja was wide open. We saw 70+ boats in production. The electrical shop, wood working, upholstery shop, cleaning and repairing the molds, laying up the molds, the hole shop where the drill all the holes in the hulls for drives, cleats, etc., then you go into a large area where rigging and assembly begin. Then from there to another building for decals, cleaning, etc.

The plant is awesome, it is very well layed out and basically an assembly line.

Personally I know the folks at Baja are very proud of it, and I wish they would share it with those that cannot make the trip up there. There are no real secrets in the boating world, they all use molds, they all use gelcoat, they all use fiberglass, and most all of them use the same companies for engines, drives, cleats, steering wheels, A/C, etc. etc. etc.

So bottom line is that I respect Baja wishes and we are happy that we have pictures to remember our visit by.

I think at the very least Baja should make a brochure up to give to those that visit the plant that has key pictures in it that do not let any tade secrets out. If you are having a boat built like we were, you should at least get you picture made in front of you boat!

Great trip, I hope all of you get up there, it is something to see!
Old 02-02-2005, 08:09 AM
Registered

No pics is correct and makes sense. There would be good and bad pics everywhere!

405 will be quite the boat. Molds done. Scheduled for first working prototype this summer.
Old 02-02-2005, 08:11 AM
Registered

They have a very open schedule for plant tours. No purchasing pressure. Just showing.
Old 02-02-2005, 09:26 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks Dock, I'm doing well and the Cig is great!

I remember your pics well, I'm really glad you took them and shared them with us. It was good seeing what goes on in there.

Quick Reply: My Baja Tour

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.