Outlaw 20 Info?

Notices

Outlaw 20 Info?

Old 01-02-2002, 07:55 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Outlaw 20 Info?

Hello All!

I am looking at boats in the 18 to 22 foot range and I came across the Outlaw 20. I really like the looks of the boat and would like some feedback on them as far as how they ride, power they came with, and what kind of performance can be expected. Most seem to be SBC's although I did find one with a BBC. Any information would be appreciated!

John
Old 01-02-2002, 10:03 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

20 OUTLAW IS A VERY NARROW AND SHALLOW BOAT, ONLY A 84'' BEAM,RUNNING LOW 60'S WITH SBC AND LOW 70'S WITH BBC. FOR ALITTLE MORE MONEY YOU COULD BUY THE HAMMER I HAVE FOR SALE FOR 20,900 WITH BBC
Old 01-03-2002, 03:25 PM
Registered

From the Baja 96 brochure,
20'4" long, 7'1" Beam, 2400lbs, 33" Draft, 20 degree deadrise, 28 gal tank, 6 passenger capacity.
96 was the first year for this boat to be called the Outlaw. It was called the Hotshot in 95.
Brochure list that neither could be fitted with a big block and none even had the 350 Mag in it. I think they did allow you to put the 350 mag in them in 97 though.
If you found one with a big block in it, they probably had it done for they after it left the factory.
The 20 Outlaw (and hotshot) hull came from the 190 Sport of the late 80's. I had one with the 4.3 in it and it was a great all around boat (I wanted something faster so I bought a 196 Sport which is a totally different monster) The only thing they really changed from then (190 sport) was the took off the windshield and put on the fairing. Everything else was the same all the way down to the glove box.
Hope this helps.

by the way, what kind of boating are you looking to do? What size lakes will you be boating in?
Old 01-04-2002, 09:12 PM
rebs24baja

Hey fellow boater:Lake or big water go with as much boat as possible.For example for me 4-boats in 5-yrs,Try shopping around for a 24' It has a 24 degree deadrise to cut the waves and will hold a big block. Mine was a 1988 outlaw and built like a rock. And from prior shopping experience you can get a good deal on a boat even with a bad engine and rebuild it and have a better rocket than new.And will love the ride. (remember:the more deadrise the better the ride.)What do you guys think !!!???

Old 01-05-2002, 12:30 AM
Registered

I'm personally glad that I started smaller than 24. Hell, I haven't even made it to 24 foot yet. Maybe next time If you dont feel comfortable with buying something that large, then dont. I'm on my 3rd Baja and now I'm thinking about something with a cuddy for the family but its really nice being able to shove my little 196 into the garage and keep it out of the elements. I also love to dust other boats twice the size (and 7 times the price) of mine with my little small block They really hate that Small blocks are pretty cheap to run too.
Old 01-05-2002, 09:06 AM
OSO Moderator
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
John,

I had a '97 20 Outlaw. Cool lines, but keep looking! It is a terrible riding boat. I can't stress that enough. I was racing (side by side) my buddy's Baja 232 and relativly smooth water. He was running smooth and solid, the 20 OL was all over the place! He even commented to me about how bad it looked from his boat.
This boat rode SO bad, that on a small bay, it lost engine oil pressure because it rides so bad. I was going over small runabout wakes when that happened.
I only had the boat for 2 months. Final straw was: I was out for a ride across part of the Chesapeake Bay. It was smooth (there were 14' jon boats out)but the 20 OL rode so bad, I came back hurting.
That week I traded the boat for a 22 Scarab. That boat rides nice.
If I were to stay in the Baja line, I should have bought a 232.
I also found out that the 20 OL was one of the worse boats Baja ever made. This info came from serveral Baja dealers when I wanted to trade in the 20 OL. Even THEY didn't want it.

Keep Looking. . . .

'00 Scarab Sport 302 CC
'02 Cigarette Top Gun TS
'02 PQ 340
'00 PQ 280
'98 Scarab 22
'97 Baja Outlaw 20
'72 Checkmate
'65 Glastron
Old 01-05-2002, 10:06 AM
Registered

Thank You All for your replies!

I have been looking at many different manufactures and designs of boats and I still have not made a decision. The deadrise of the 20 OL worried me as far as ride, its to bad Baja did not truely make a small offshore type boat by increasing the deadrise.

Liquid- I have seen your boat advertised but there are not any pictures of it. What is the HP rating? How does the Hammer ride when it gets rough with a 21 degree deadrise?

rebs24- I would love to have a boat that big but I have to break the wife in easy. I do agree with the deadrise issue, there just aren't many smaller boats out with the higher dead rise angles.

Red Stripe- Great Beer! I would run around on some of the local lakes(Raystown,Conawingo,Wallenpaupack)but I want something that will be comfortable if I went to the Cheasapeake or Jersey shore. I know the ultimate would be bigger, not sure thats in the cards now.

John
Old 01-05-2002, 10:28 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

BOATSHOPPING, YOU HAVE E-MAIL
Old 01-05-2002, 10:36 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

BOATSHOPPING, I FORGOT TO ADD THAT MY HAMMER DOES FINE IN ROUGH WATER, AND IS EVEN MORE FUN TO DRIVE THAN MY NEW [1997]24 OUTLAW, IT IS A ROCKET OUT OF THE HOLE AND RUNS 68 MPH
Old 01-06-2002, 02:21 AM
LIQUOR MAN

I HAVE JUST WHAT YOU NEED. A 21 HAMMER WITH A ZZ 502 AND A PROCHARGER. JUST INSTALLED MAY 2001 IT HAS ABOUT 25 HRS. ON THE POWER. THE BOAT RIDES GOOD IN ROUGH WATER AND RUNS 82 MPH. IT SPINS A 30 BRAVO PROP. 5000-5100. IF YOU ARE INTERESTED E-MAIL ME WITH A PH# AND WE CAN TALK PRICE IS 23,500.00. I JUST BOUGHT A 25 ELIMINATOR AND DO NOT NEED TWO BOATS. THANKS [email protected]

Quick Reply: Outlaw 20 Info?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.