Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Banana Boat (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/banana-boat-150/)
-   -   More info on #14 today (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/banana-boat/105224-more-info-14-today.html)

Dregsz 06-09-2005 07:00 PM

More info on #14 today

OK, I had typed in all the info that I had gotten from the caretaker, but it dosappeared, so here it goes again.

THe motors ARE 1980/81 Merc 225s, they have painted over, blue stickers in the rear.
the front cover on one cracked and Willie, (the care taker) fixed it w fiberglass and then did the same to the other side buckle to make them look even since the repaired one looked different.

The motors are Premix. Willie has done yearly maintenence on the boat yearly, even thopugh it hasn'tr been in the water for three years. He chanes the plugs, swaps the lower gear oil and WP impellers every 50 hours or yearly.

I think I posted somewhere else that at one point the boat had an I/O in it with motor mounts and a outdrive hole in the transom.He didn't recall seeing a transom well above the I/O hole.
There has been another transom mounted on top of the old one, full Ht., now sporting Hydrolic Jack plates. My buddy suggested that since they are black, the may be early "land and Sea"

Willie commented that the power steering is effortless and it has a big steering box, and an external, cylindrical resevoir tank w clear sites w level and a nipple to pressurize the system, and -AN fittings throuought
Does this sound like an Imco system?

Willie said the gas tank is always full even if the boat is out of the water to prevent condensation build up, but I am concerned about running 3 year old gas through the motors.
And 3 year old oil too.
Any Ideas on that?
He is supposed to do a compression check this weekend and email pics of the guage at all 12 cylinders.
We'll see how that goes.
Thanks
Evan

Dregsz 06-18-2005 04:56 AM

Re: More info on #14 today

ttt

fruitta55 06-18-2005 10:34 AM

I'm assuming that if he has done the yearly maintenance he may have run the motors at least once a year also.? And he may have used a fuel stabalizer treatment in the tanks to help preserve the fuel. If this is the case it may not be the best fuel but it should be useable. Being premix though the fuel and oil may have seperated at this point. I can't really think of any way to agitate it in the tank to remix it. Maybe stick an airline in the tanks for a while in order to stir it up? Just make sure there is a dryer on the air system!! I'm sure that Willie having been doing the maitnance on the boat could give you some better ideas that me though.

Dregsz 06-20-2005 05:30 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Actually, I just noticed in the pics that the splashwell is preserved

And it seems like the double transom may be visable on the edge of the splashwell in the pic, but I'm not certain.

fruitta55 06-20-2005 09:01 AM

if it is a double transom or if the transome was repaired at all it was done from the inside of the hull. If you look carefully you can notice that the serial number is still visible on the transom. Its behind the tie down strap, around where you can see the straps hook. Sorry Ican't tell you for sure if it has had this work done since mine has some trim work that covers the edge of the well.

Dregsz 06-20-2005 02:09 PM

You make a good point however the caretaker says the outdrive hole is still in the old transom on the inside.

fruitta55 06-20-2005 03:59 PM

The only way to know for sure at this point I would say is to get that serial number I mentioned in post #5 and pet it to either Top Banana or Chatim Racing. As Top Banana is the man who built that boat if it is in fact #14. But the only way to know for sure is with that ser.# I don't know if you have already done this or not. Thats why I am advising you this way. I'll try to look in mine tomorrow to see if thats just a normal thing in there.

Dregsz 06-21-2005 11:08 PM

Charlie Jr. Advised this is #14, He is familiar w the boat