The State of #14

Notices

The State of #14

Old 07-19-2005, 04:01 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The State of #14

Hi All,
I dropped my Tunnel hull of in Lodi last Friday and had the day to kill in CA. It was 90+ at 10 AM in the central valley so I headed to San Francisco for the afternoon and took stock of # 14.
She was sitting in a locked freight yard w the trailer on pallets, nose down. I had just found oiut she had been uncovered for the last 3 years and that's what caused me to put the brakes on the acquisition.
Bow down was exactly what I didn't want to see.
She had a foot of water in the bilge, the boat had once had a big block in her and the front of the bulkhead is cut out exposing the back of the gastank, the was water about half way up the tank and all underneath it, The foam was still hard and crunchy, but it still threw a big red flag. There was water in the cabin well, maybe 6"s deep resting against the foward bulkhead. the bulkhead drain tubes have been glassed over at the base of the cabin door and the foward bulkhead. I didn't check to see if there was a cut out under the Vee berth to see if water was pooled forward of the front bulkhead, but that would have made it easier to see if the bulkhead was rotting.

The rear stringers were heavily glassed and dry.
The transom had a second transom mounted over it covering the outdrive cutout and thru hull exhaust. on exhast hole was visable into the newer transom and there was no glass between the old and new transom. I could poke a finger through the original transom exhaust cutout and touch bare wood. I didn't like that at all.

The upolstry was faded in the 3 year old pics I had recieved, but now it is completely shreded tattered and cut to ribbons.
THe wood under the seats is failing or completely faild requiring a complete cockpit rebuild.
tHE WOOD THAT MAKes up the console, shifter box etc is cracked and failing.
There is one bad, but minor repair on the hull. looks like unsanded marinetex.
THe K planes look pretty good and the motors aren't running right now but could get lucky and run, supposedly the owner is going to clean her up and have her running in a few weeks. I'm suposed to go for a ride when down. then.

Over all, the boat is ROUGH. She would make a good winter project if bought, with running motors, at $3500, provided the motors have good compression and there is no rot

I'm not sure what is necessary for the gas tank and cabin and forward bulkhead.

The trailer brakes rusted and were cut off, and the trailer tires are shot

Other then all that if you close an eye and picture her without the windshied, she sure is prety.
It will take more time money and rescources then I currently have to fully restore her.

I left and picked up my Donzi.
Poker Run is on Sat.

Evan
Old 07-19-2005, 11:59 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: The State of #14

Thanks for the update Evan. And good luck with the Donzi. It sounds as though you made the right choice.
Old 07-19-2005, 02:15 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: The State of #14

Thanks Evan. It's very sad to hear that it has been neglected so. I hope someone restores her someday...

As Adam said above...sounds like you made the right choice. The Donzi looks great in the pics and should make you happy with both speed and ride quality on those lakes & rivers you frequent. Good luck with it!