Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Banana Boat
My story for the banana bunch... >

My story for the banana bunch...

Notices

My story for the banana bunch...

Old 09-08-2005, 07:48 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My story for the banana bunch...

My little Banana story, any one know "the rest of the story?"

Back in 1983 (could be 84) I was working the summer in a fiberglass shop, in CosCob, CT (Greenwich). They had an annual race in Long Island Sound, it was the Gateway Regatta. (Getting to the good part here) a Banana 24 did a hull change after the race. Yes they unrigged the boat took the deck off and swapped out hulls! My friend actually bought the old hull from them. I don't remember if the hull had a big name Banana or just a sticker on the hull by the stern, I do know it was black, was an I/O hull. The hull sat for a year or two then was sold off to I don't know who... ring any bells for anyone?

I thought the Banana hull was very similar to the 24 Superboat that we own. I was never sure why they swapped out hulls, it had minor damage, nothing so bad for a race boat of that era!

On another note, the old racing pics are really cool. You might have some with my Superboat in the back round, 1982 season red SB with twin 150 Mercs P-714. Came in Second place in he finals, we bought it after that.
Old 09-09-2005, 05:16 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: My story for the banana bunch...

Yeah that's a wierd story...have no idea. "Tripps" here on OSO had a somewhat similar story about buying a bare hull first & then getting a deck soon afterwards - perhaps this was his boat? He lives in LI NY and used to work for McBetts Racing Engines who built my dad's race motors....

I'll see what I have for pictures - I know I have some Superboats.
Old 09-10-2005, 07:32 AM
Registered

I was thinking of this last night, I think the hull had the name Red Baron, on the side, may have been Red Dog.

My friends dream was to build a deck and make it a center console. Ahh the dreams of youth and an empty hull.
Old 09-14-2005, 08:11 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Unhappy Re: My story for the banana bunch...

Tripps Bought The Deck Off My Boat This Is The boat that Broke apart From Not being Built right When the guys At portedgewood were building them they totally Screwed This Boat Up With all the wrong Layup What Junk . After 8 years Of Going To Court They Gave Me another Hull And Guess what The Bottom Started To Delaminate Another Piece Of $hit No Wonder They went Out Of Buisness I Will have To Dig Up Some Of The Old Pics And Post em What A Piece Of Junk When Charlie Was Building Them I Hope they were better Cause I Wouldnt Waste The Gas To Burn One
Old 09-19-2005, 07:04 PM
Registered

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

The name of the boat that i got was revenge,i think it had a FL tag. I got it from a marina in oakdale.feel free to ask me anything!!! tripps
Old 09-19-2005, 08:29 PM
Registered

Its funny, I brought this story up with some friends a few weeks ago and they thought the name on this hull was Rampage.. not my Red Barron...Twenty years is hard on the mind

Around what year did you buy it? It was a black hull?
Old 09-24-2005, 09:04 PM
Registered

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

It was a black or very dark blue,maybe 91-92 tripps