Secret test on Saturday >

Secret test on Saturday

Notices

Secret test on Saturday

Old 08-16-2009, 03:07 PM
Registered

Received 211 Likes on 84 Posts
Default Secret test on Saturday

A very big Thank You !!!! to Mike Spirito for the use of his 28 foot Magnum for a test run on Saturday.

Under the cover of a local poker run, I was very interested in the results of a real world running hard of this 28 footer with our hull design .........with 600 HP.

Knowing Mike from long ago, I knew that he would run the boat as hard as it could be run, old school style, and we could get some honest evaluations of how this hull design, non step that it is, would perform in comparison to today's boats.

This 28 foot Magnum is of course the same hull as our new 28 foot Banana Boat that we are starting the new deck plug work on next month. The Mercruiser 600 HP sterndrive package, is what I am considering making the standard boat
and drive combo.....so this is the exact test boat and HP match and the exact water conditions I was looking for.

There were a lot of brands there....approx 25 plus boats entered, from a 46 foot Skater with turbines, to a 24 foot Carrera with a single sterndrive.

There were 5 stops. I don't want to get into any negatives here and please remember that we were out to prove how hard our package could be run in sloppy water, we knew that we would be pushing the whole time, while others probably did not.....add in some old school racing experience and lots of local knowledge re the course and the waters involved, let's just say we didn't feel at a disadvantage at all.....we had a lot of fun.

By the third stop, two of the faster boats broke and some people got lost, but for the first stop, we were 5th...... the 2nd stop 4th....... and the third stop which was Newport for lunch, a 32 foot Sutphen and a 38 foot Larry Smith Scarab, was a little surprised that our 28 footer was right there at the entrance to the harbor with them in third place. I won't say any more beyond that, but the results got even better by the end of the day as the afternoon winds came up with the tide change.

End of the day....we had a great time and proved to our own satisfaction that this will be an incredible package with 600 HP in a single engine sterndrive. I am really excited to see this new package come to life....all I can say after this test day is......I WANT ONE TOO !!!!!

Again...thanks to Mike and his son Nick and HIGH LIFE too>

www.bananaboatco.com
Attached Thumbnails Secret test on Saturday-ph-28drawing-rev3.jpg  

Last edited by Top Banana; 08-17-2009 at 01:27 AM.
Old 12-24-2009, 06:11 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought I was the TOP BANANA !!!! Charlie call me I need some racing stuff.I'm buying all the Donzi classics I can get ...got 3 working on another. The 22 and the 18's are a blast to drive in the lakes around Atlanta. Pulled John Betts out of retirement and he building me two engines. Speedy Stan
Old 12-25-2009, 12:28 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Stan Pike
I thought I was the TOP BANANA !!!! Charlie call me I need some racing stuff.I'm buying all the Donzi classics I can get ...got 3 working on another. The 22 and the 18's are a blast to drive in the lakes around Atlanta. Pulled John Betts out of retirement and he building me two engines. Speedy Stan
How can you run those 22's when all you have to do is buy some 24's from me...... and we can call them the Inferno model.

Give my best to John. Old retired guys can still do some good stuff.

I'll give you a call next week.

Merry Christmas
Old 12-25-2009, 05:31 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stan, I have a 1976 DONZI O/B-- 200 H.P. Mariner--original Rocket trailer. Michael cell # 781-844-8082 in Mass.
Old 12-25-2009, 08:56 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like a nice combo, 600 HP single in a 28' boat. I guess that makes it in the trailible range for most? I'm sure it has very good speed and lots of room? I haven't checked you site of late but I will now, hope you got some info on it, if not I'll be checking back.
Congrads!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-26-2009, 02:37 PM
coolrunning racing
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Now all it needs it a canopy.
Old 12-26-2009, 03:49 PM
Registered

New deck mold being built in Rhode Isalnd now. First deck and working model would be spring 2010. Will keep the updates going and when we get ready to test, those interested can come to RI and take a look.
Old 12-26-2009, 09:23 PM
coolrunning racing
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Where in RI? Will it have a lid?
Old 12-30-2009, 12:08 PM
Registered

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts

do you take trades with old banana's?
Old 01-06-2010, 05:42 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 151 Likes on 77 Posts

[QUOTE=Top Banana;2932787]B]

This 28 foot Magnum is of course the same hull as our new 28 foot Banana Boat that we are starting the new deck plug work on next month.

Charlie,
What weight difference will their be in the new 28' hulls compared to the heavier mag hulls of the past? I always here how heavy the mag hulls
of the past were, but were great wave crushers because of it. What do figure approx. the new 28 hull to weigh in at ? Good luck, would like to hear
more on the new 28' Banana.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.