The (Re) Birth of a boat company >

The (Re) Birth of a boat company

Notices

The (Re) Birth of a boat company

Old 05-18-2010, 02:23 PM
Registered

Received 213 Likes on 85 Posts
Default The (Re) Birth of a boat company

Well .......as of May 3rd I am officially unemployed again.

I was the Chairman of the Board of a regional bank up here in the Northeast. We had assets of less than a billion and had branches in Wal Marts in the three state area. The bank sold to an investment group out of Boston so, I am free once again to focus full time on the boat company.

I knew this was coming, so a few years ago, my oldest son Charley and I, started or restarted up the banana boat co again. I thought I would share some of the trials and tribulations along the way.

First order of business was to build brand new molds. I still owned hull number 6, a 24 footer from the 70's. This was my wife's boat and was very lightly used and always under cover. We started with that hull and deck and blueprinted everything from the hull bottom and strakes to the deck. We knew it had to be perfect to produce molds that would produce good straight boats.
Attached Thumbnails The (Re) Birth of a boat company-24-molds0006-small-.jpg   The (Re) Birth of a boat company-img_0004-small-.jpg   The (Re) Birth of a boat company-24-plug-final-2007-003-small-.jpg  

Old 05-18-2010, 02:37 PM
Registered

Over the course of our re-birth, we ended up in three different shops before the plugs were completed to our satisfaction.

Then the moment of courage......putting wet fiberglass on top of that perfect surface to begin to make your molds.
Attached Thumbnails The (Re) Birth of a boat company-p3210009-small-.jpg   The (Re) Birth of a boat company-p3210013-small-.jpg   The (Re) Birth of a boat company-p3210001-small-.jpg  

The (Re) Birth of a boat company-p5150089-small-.jpg  
Old 05-18-2010, 02:45 PM
OSO OG
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Say hi to Charlie for him. I havent talked to him since the Lauderdale show a few years ago. Good luck with the biz too!
Old 05-18-2010, 02:59 PM
Registered

Now the first time I started the company, I had someone there to show me the ropes and guide me to the right decisions.......that tall guy standing next to me in the photo below.

Boat number 1 ......Top Banana.....was a race boat that he rigged for me with twin 400 HP small blocks with TRS drives.....sat low in the water but was very fast.

Boat number 2 was a single 280HP TRS drive boat....banana split. My son Charley just found this boat last fall and is doing a complete resto on it while we wait for the market to come back.
Attached Thumbnails The (Re) Birth of a boat company-file0023-small-.jpg   The (Re) Birth of a boat company-file0022-small-.jpg   The (Re) Birth of a boat company-file0250-small-.jpg  

The (Re) Birth of a boat company-file0251-small-.jpg   The (Re) Birth of a boat company-banana-ads0004-small-.jpg  

Last edited by Top Banana; 05-20-2010 at 08:41 AM.
Old 05-18-2010, 03:07 PM
Registered

We wanted to keep the old retro look ......but use the latest in modern technology.

Our first boat was a black boat with a swim platform / bracket for a single outboard. We sent the boat off to Fineline for the interior and to Acrylico for the windshield and cabin doors. Both top of the line suppliers and worthy of the new company.
Attached Thumbnails The (Re) Birth of a boat company-windshield2.bmp   The (Re) Birth of a boat company-1st-boat-2.bmp   The (Re) Birth of a boat company-1st-boat-3.bmp  

The (Re) Birth of a boat company-1st-boat-9.bmp   The (Re) Birth of a boat company-1st-boat-12.bmp  
Old 05-18-2010, 03:21 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Carlos at Acrylico is a great guy!!.Goodluck in the biz.

Rob
Old 05-18-2010, 03:22 PM
Registered

We outfitted it with a 250 HP E-Tec engine from Evinrude. Heard some nice things about both the motor and the company, so we figured we would give it a try. In the old days, if I cut myself, I would bleed Black.....so it was a refreshing change.

Brought the boat to the Tampa Boat Show in the Fall of 2008 and made our first public appearance in quite a few years.

Next, we hauled down to Key West for the World Championships in November of 2008 and had the boat in the water for two days giving some demo rides.

As you can see by the bottom photo....we are just on the other side of the pace boat.....we still seem to get in on the racing action wherever we go. Credit to Freeze Frame for the photo...nice job Jeff.
Attached Thumbnails The (Re) Birth of a boat company-key-west-08-002-small-.jpg   The (Re) Birth of a boat company-key-west-08-012-small-.jpg   The (Re) Birth of a boat company-key-west-08-019-small-.jpg  

The (Re) Birth of a boat company-key-west-start-08-bbc.jpg  
Old 05-18-2010, 03:37 PM
Registered

So we find ourselves in the Fall of 2008 with a demo boat.....we have done one boat show and given demo rides at the World Championship. We can't say that we feel the other boat companies caring much that we are back on the scene, but at least we know we are back and we have the heritage to build on.

Hardcore with Heritage ......is our slogan.

The year is not over and we have made our first sale. Not in Florida where all this promotion has been going on, but back in Rhode Island, to the owner of an older 24 foot banana boat. He knows how good the design is and wants a newer version.

He has a 225 HP Mercury outboard on the transom of his older boat and he wants one thing.....To Go Faster!!! The older boat is the one with the purple colors in the first photos at the top.

Okay, the older boat will do 53 MPH with the 225 HP motor and the old heavy layup. The newer boat is lighter (layup schedule courtesy of Bobby Saccenti) no wood, and the motor should be more powerful. We agree that it should be at least 250 HP and we go with another Evinrude E-Tec.

Color of the boat will be black, but with yellow and silver highlights. He likes that black look, so we do up a custom black bracket / swim platform and also paint the white Evinrude in a nice shiny black to go with the theme of the boat.

The boat is ready to be shown at the Providence Boat Show in January of 2009, with a second showing in Florida at the Miami Boat Show in February of 2009. The owner won't need the boat until Spring in Rhode Island waters.
Attached Thumbnails The (Re) Birth of a boat company-24-banana-outboard-002-small-.jpg   The (Re) Birth of a boat company-24-banana-outboard-003-small-.jpg   The (Re) Birth of a boat company-24-banana-outboard-023-small-.jpg  

The (Re) Birth of a boat company-providence-boat-show-boat-09-013-small-.jpg  

Last edited by Top Banana; 05-18-2010 at 03:44 PM.
Old 05-18-2010, 03:52 PM
Registered

Here are some shots of the build. Hull and deck are glassed together, all lighting is LED type. Interior material is carbon fiber type. Nav lights are the latest from Mike Livorsi with the high intensity LED style used by the Navy SEALs.

Brownie for his help with the bracket / swim platform and pullout stairs.....and his many other suggestions along the way of the build. Bobby Saccenti with rigging suggestions and layup schedules from Composite 1. Mike at Fineline who went over the top with his ideas for the bolsters and cabin lighting.

Many good people were involved in this. I can't say thank you enough to my old friends that stepped in and made sure this boat had the latest in the world of offshore.
Attached Thumbnails The (Re) Birth of a boat company-providence-boat-show-boat-09-011-small-.jpg   The (Re) Birth of a boat company-providence-boat-show-boat-09-026-small-.jpg   The (Re) Birth of a boat company-providence-boat-show-boat-09-034-small-.jpg  

The (Re) Birth of a boat company-providence-boat-show-boat-09-023-small-.jpg   The (Re) Birth of a boat company-providence-boat-show-boat-09-042-small-.jpg  

Last edited by Top Banana; 05-18-2010 at 03:58 PM.
Old 05-18-2010, 04:01 PM
Registered

So the day comes and the boat is ready to go North for the Providence Boat Show. We seal her up, so no nasty winter weather can't get to her and head off.

Our booth in Providence 2009, had both this 24 footer and one of our new 28 foot center consoles.
Attached Thumbnails The (Re) Birth of a boat company-providence-boat-show-boat-09-055-small-.jpg   The (Re) Birth of a boat company-providence-boat-show-boat-09-054-small-.jpg   The (Re) Birth of a boat company-providence-boat-show-boat-09-061-small-.jpg  

The (Re) Birth of a boat company-providence-boat-show-boat-09-063-small-.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.