Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Banana Boat
The end of an Era........Thank You !!!!! >

The end of an Era........Thank You !!!!!

Notices

The end of an Era........Thank You !!!!!

Old 07-26-2011, 08:51 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Good luck and congrats Charlie! Wish you all the best and lastly bring it on!! See you at the Fall River Run?
Old 07-27-2011, 08:38 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Best of luck with the new venture(s)!
Old 07-27-2011, 10:36 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello Sir,

Best of luck with your new venture and thank you for all you have done for the offshore community over the past decades!

As a small business owner myself, who is no longer spring chicken, I can relate about making changes in business and life, to make both more enjoyable, and well...actually have a "life"!

I won't jump on the bandwagon of trying to talk you out of ceasing production on the Bananas...but, I wanted to at least toss out an idea or 2 in case you haven't considered them (doubtful, just want to be sure).

After hitting my 50s, I found myself being "swallowed" by my customers and those wanting a peice of my knowledge/experience (auto related, not boat related). This was compounded by some health issues that had me pretty much "gone" for 2-3 years....pretty much a "perfect storm".

Some quick background, I too design and build to customer spec, performance products and always take personal pride in doing so...probably too personal...combine that will willingness to always spend my time helping anyone who called/emailed needing tech support for a specific auto for over 20 years......well, you can imagine I never got rich doing so.

During my recent "down time" my business obviously suffered, combined with the recent economy, medical expenses, etc...well it down right sucked...almost lost the company.

Part of my problem is I took so much pride in what I made for other people that building my products took a long time as it had to be just perfect...with the issues mentioned above, well you can imagine not much product was shipped.

One of my customers who had been waiting patiently (for years) for one of my products finally called and said, "I understand your situation, how about just sending me the unassembled parts? I have someone who has experience with these type systems that can assemble everything properly".... Hmmmm OK, he gets what he wants, I get some needed cash flow, move some static inventory...a win, win for all.

So I created a "Tuner Kit"..which includes the major components that are my propriatary parts...along with a list of where to get the off the shelf items (so I don't have to deal with vendor frustrations, I know you can relate)...and a DVD with pics etc showing how I assembled the system.

Just doing this actually saved my company and helped me weather my "heath storm" as I worked to get myself and my company back healthy again. BTW, not implying/saying you or your company needs saving finacially, just using mine, which did, as an example of my suggestions....yes, I am finally getting there....LOL!

I am no boat builder, but I can imagine all the rigging(and dealing with sourcing products to rig with), fit and finishing etc, etc...takes up the majority of your time and energy.

Soooooo... a thought, maybe consider using those nice 24 molds and just popping out decks and hulls, sold as a set or individually( I would love a new deck myself, hint, hint)..and offering them as a "Tuner Kit" for those wanting to rig their own Banana 24? You could even distant yourself and start a new website like www.banana24kit.com or something.

This way you won't have as much time to put into it, there are no real options to discuss with customers (even offer white only?)...heck, just make it where they can only order 3 items online, deck or hull, or a deck/hull glassed assembly.

Heck and yes, even put them on Ebay...I know, I know, I have resisted for ages...but it is easy free marketing that reaches a worldwide customer base...instantly....and also drives them to your website, hint, hint. :-)

In reality you wouldn't have to put much, if any real time in it once it was going so you could generate cash flow and/or concentrate on new ventures.

This way you can continue your legacy, continue the "Banana Legend", makes lots of your fans happy, make some new fans..and make some pocket money all at once. A win, win, win, for everyone!

As an added cost option you could offer a "Signature Version" where you personally inspect the construction during the various critical stages. Sort of like a building inspector, signing off on each part of a building construction(funny reminds me when I was building Club Boca in Boca Bank building in 87/88?, never heard of drywall screw inspectors before that :-).

Having your hand written signature some where inside/outside on each hull and/or deck would certainly add value, even if it was with a magic marker, I know it would to me....and I would know it was done right to your standards!

Sorry to be so long winded......just wanted to toss this out to you and felt compelled to write this long, long post.

Heck of "splash" for a first post, eh?? :-)

All the best in whatever you do!

Cheers,

Dave

Last edited by 928Droid; 07-27-2011 at 10:02 PM.
Old 07-27-2011, 11:33 AM
Registered

Received 211 Likes on 84 Posts

928 Dave......you must have been talking to my son!!!!

He called me this morning with a very similar idea. You may or may not know, but he found the very first production boat we ever built back in the 70's....Banana Split. The yellow boat in the photos below. It was originally powered with a small block 280 TRS package but over the years and various owners it has morphed into a big block boat.

He said he was going to start a thread to show the restoration that he did on the boat and perhaps other 24 owners may be interested in replacing parts on their old boats.

I won't go into detail here, but what he found was the boat was basically sound, with the exception of the deck and the fuel tank.

So we laid up a new deck....the new decks are smooth, without any non-skid.....and he took the old one off and put the new one on. He also changed the color to black with a red bootstripe. Of course once he had the deck off and the tank out, he also took advantage of that openess and made some other modifications, which he will get into on his thread.
Attached Thumbnails The end of an Era........Thank You !!!!!-ph-split001.jpg   The end of an Era........Thank You !!!!!-resto-boat-2.bmp   The end of an Era........Thank You !!!!!-banana-split-resto-15.bmp  

The end of an Era........Thank You !!!!!-banana-split-resto-18.bmp  
Old 07-27-2011, 11:51 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Charlie,

Ha, Ha... I promise I have never talked with your son, although I would like to...he is a car and boat guy too and I bet we have a lot in common.

That is great that he is thinking along the same lines, please ask him to put me on the list for one of his new decks! I was just catching up on his prior threads about the new deck this morning. What a work of art and I love the smooth deck...gimme, gimme!!

Hmmm, used to spend lots of time in South Florida and I haven't been back since the 90s. I did a bunch of big nightclubs in 80s/90s in Boca, Liquordale, Miami Beach, etc...ahh the 80s!!! :-)

Time for a road trip....with my enclosed transporter....wouldn't want something that nice to get dirty on the trip back to WNC :-)

PLEASE keep us posted on any news regarding this..pretty please!!!!!

Cheers,

Dave
Old 07-27-2011, 12:33 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 928Droid
Sort of like a building inspector, signing off on each part of a building construction(funny reminds me when I was building Club Boca in Boca Bank building in 87/88?, never heard of drywall screw inspectors before that :-).
I pass that building every day, right around the corner from my house!!!
Old 07-27-2011, 02:09 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Charlie,
My father in law's last boat was a kit boat he bought here in Miami in the mid 70's, although more of a fishing boat similar to the older Anacapri's. I believe it was a Susi?
Anyway he purchased it hull and deck (not even joined) took it home built in 3 months and loved that damn thing.
Please reconsider and build the 24 closed deck as a kit.
Old 07-27-2011, 06:32 PM
Registered

Received 211 Likes on 84 Posts

What we need is someone to build a nice little 24 kit boat with twins like the old days.....tons pf performance for very little $$ compared to other boats in the same speed range.
Attached Thumbnails The end of an Era........Thank You !!!!!-1704182_15.jpg   The end of an Era........Thank You !!!!!-bananajack1.jpg   The end of an Era........Thank You !!!!!-bbc9506-0004.jpg  

The end of an Era........Thank You !!!!!-laila1.jpg  
Old 07-27-2011, 07:11 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Saw a Banana CC today here in Bristol today. Cool boat!
Old 07-27-2011, 07:17 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by 928Droid
Hello Sir,

Best of luck with your new venture and thank you for all you have done for the offshore community over the past decades!

As a small business owner myself, who is no longer spring chicken, I can relate about making changes in business and life, to make both more enjoyable, and well...actually have a "life"!

I won't jump on the bandwagon of trying to talk you out of ceasing production on the Bananas...but, I wanted to at least toss out an idea or 2 in case you haven't considered them (doubtful, just want to be sure).

After hitting my 50s, I found myself being "swallowed" by my customers and those wanting a peice of my knowledge/experience (auto related, not boat related). This was compounded by some health issues that had me pretty much "gone" for 2-3 years....pretty much a "perfect storm".

Some quick background, I too design and build to customer spec, performance products and always take personal pride in doing so...probably too personal...combine that will willingness to always spend my time helping anyone who called/emailed needing tech support for a specific auto for over 20 years......well, you can imagine I never got rich doing so.

During my recent "down time" my business obviously suffered, combined with the recent economy, medical expense, etc...well it down right sucked...almost lost the company.

Part of my problem is I took so much pride in what I made for other people that building my products took a long time as it had to be just perfect...with the issues mentioned above, well you can imagine not much product was shipped.

One of my customers who had been waiting patiently (for years) for one of my products finally called and said, I understand your situation, how about just sending me the unassembled parts? I have someone who has experience with these type systems can assemble everything properly.... Hmmmm OK, he gets what he wants, I get some needed cash flow, move some static inventory...a win, win for all.

So I created a "Tuner Kit"..which includes the major components that are my propriatary parts...along with a list of where to get the off the shelf items (so I don't have to deal with vendor frustrationss, I know you can relate)...and a DVD with pics etc showing how I assembled the system.

Just doing this actually saved my company and helped me weather my "heath storm" as I worked to get myself and my company back healthy again. BTW, not implying/saying you or your company needs saving finacially, just using mine, which did, as an example of my suggestions....yes, I am finally getting there....LOL!

I am no boat builder, but I can imagine all the rigging(and dealing with sourcing products to rig with), fit and finish nishing etc, etc...takes up the majority of your time and energy.

Soooooo... a thought, maybe consider using those nice 24 molds and just popping out decks and hulls, sold as a set or individually( I would love a new deck myself, hint, hint)..and offering them as a "Tuner Kit" for those wanting to rig their own Banana 24? You could even distant yourself and start a new website like www.banana24kit.com or something.

This way you won't have as much time to put into it, there are no real options to discuss with customers (even offer white only?)...heck, just make it where they can only order 3 items online, deck or hull, or a deck/hull glassed assembly.

Heck and yes, even put them on Ebay...I know, I know, I have resisted for ages...but it is easy free marketing that reaches a worldwide customer base...instantly....and also drives them to your website, hint, hint. :-)

In reality you wouldn't have to put much, if any real time in it once it was going so you could generate cash flow and/or concentrate on new ventures.

This way you can continue your legacy, continue the "Banana Legend", makes lots of your fans happy, makes some new fans..and make some pocket money all at once. A win, win, win, for everyone!

As an added cost option you could offer a "Signature Version" where you personally inspect the contruction during the various critical stages. Sort of like a building inspector, signing off on each part of a building construction(funny reminds me when I was building Club Boca in Boca Bank building in 87/88?, never heard of drywall screw inspectors before that :-).

Having your hand written signature some where inside/outside on each hull and/or deck would certainly add value, even if it was with a magic marker, I know it would to me....and I would know it was done right to your standards!

Sorry to be so long winded......just wanted to toss this out to you and felt compelled to write this long, long post.

Heck of "splash" for a first post, eh?? :-)

All the best in whatever you do!

Cheers,

Dave
What kind of product?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.