Notices

Online Scams

Old 03-29-2008, 12:30 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Online Scams

Just this morning I emailed a person on Craigs List about a motorcycle, price seemed too good to be true, we all know how that goes. Anyway, a person emails me back and right away goes into why its so cheap and immedietely tells me that all payments will be made through ebay (apparently to make it appear legit) but they would just need my full name and address to start a "case". I became suspicious. I sent another email asking for their phone number and never got a response. I guess they are assuming that I wasn't going to pay cash by right away asking for more info? Is getting my full name and address enough to do anything w/ ebay or is that merely step 1 towards getting more account info? Does anyone know how this scam works? By the way this is the second motorcycle related sscam for me in the last couple of weeks. Another guy claimed he and the bike were in London and he would ship the bike over here and provide me with the "data" that the bike was shipped and at that point I was to send him half the money. I called his bluff and surprise, never heard from him again.
Please be careful everyone, especially if you happen to be looking for a bike.
Matt
Old 03-29-2008, 08:04 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just bought a dirt bike off craig's list last week. I ran into tons of the same krap. It got to the point where if the ad didn't have a phone number I didn't even bother emailing them because it just kept turning out to be some kind of BS otherwise.
Old 04-07-2008, 05:38 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's a very common scam.
Old 04-07-2008, 07:12 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Full name and address so that he can come and rob you is my guess. No way would I give that info at this point of the deal.
Old 04-17-2008, 07:01 AM
Registered

I run into it all of the time on Craigslist, tried to buy a truck a couple of months ago and went through the same thing, the "girl" claimed she kept her exes truck in a divorce and just wanted to dump it, e-mailed back and asked where the truck was, it was supposedly about an hour and a half from where I live, told her I would bring cash for the truck and take it home, well, the long & short of it was that it was set up to be sold/delivered through E-bay with payment made through E-bay, I asked for a phone # and was told(e-mail of course) that she didn't have time to talk on the phone to me(but yet she had time to write this lengthy e-mail to me telling me how this had to be delivered/done, I e-mailed back and told her I believed in the cash and carry method, I bring cash, inspect the vehicle and if all is as it should be, I carry it home...never heard another word from her.

Now I don't know about the rest of the world,,,,,,but I like CASH....
Old 04-17-2008, 01:35 PM
'05 Concept SF23
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Cash is KING.
Old 06-03-2008, 04:22 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by hillbilly24
I just bought a dirt bike off craig's list last week. I ran into tons of the same krap. It got to the point where if the ad didn't have a phone number I didn't even bother emailing them because it just kept turning out to be some kind of BS otherwise.
They will also use fake numbers. I called on an ad and the person said, " I keep getting calls and we don't have a Rhino for sale" bla bla bla. (No, I am not opening a zoo.)