Here's My Beef With Legend Marine >

Here's My Beef With Legend Marine

Notices

Here's My Beef With Legend Marine

Old 05-04-2010, 03:30 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Here's My Beef With Legend Marine

Some here have asked what my problem is with Legend Marine. OK here goes. I met Greg at the Miami boat show and was quoted prices on his 35 Lightnings at the Fountain booth. Before the end of the show I started trying to contact him using all the phone numbers on his business card-there are several. I called at least 12 times and left messages with his salesman, secretary, on his cel, and his service manager and was NEVER CALLED BACK BY GREG. This stretched out over 5 days. He finally instructed his sales man to make a deal with me-I guess I was not important enough to call back. He refused to honor the prices he quoted at the show and said they were show specials only. Anyway, he passed me off to Mike. I flew to Dallas to inspect the boat and found several items I wanted corrected. The batteries were dead, the boat needed cleaning and I told them to have the shop go thru it and make sure it was ready to use. I also told them to charge the batteries. The boat was to be delivered to me at Lake Havasu Az. I will also add that every time they told me they needed a deposit or payment I complied promptly. Thus I had no leverage later on. Dumb on my part dealing with slime ball Greg.
When the boat was delivered to Lake Havasu I received a call from Mike to tell me the batteries were dead!? He said I would need a boost to start the baot. Strange I just told them to charge them 2 weeks before. Mike suggested new batteries and told me Greg told him to get my credit card to pay for the new batteries!!!!!!!!!!! Hmmmmm I said charge them, and they won't charge. Greg said deliver the boat, what is he going to do when it won't-start screw him. He can get his own batteries. Long and short of this is they dumped the boat which would not run on me in Havasu and drove away. Then I started looking for batteries that fit and there were NONE. Thanks Greg. I flew 2000 miles to meet your driver who dumped a boat that could not run. Havasu batteries tested both batteries and they were totally shot and would not charge at all. Thanks again Greg for sticking me me with a boat you knew would not run after I dealt with you in good faith and flew all the way from Canada to meet your driver. I'm not done there's more. I really appeciate the slashed tire you turned to the inside so I would not see it on the trailer. You should have put it on the passenger side so it could not be seen in the rear view mirror. How about your service shop? Either they are incompetent or the boat was not put thru the shop as instructed. When we launched the boat I was trying to absorb what all the guages were telling me (everything is doubled on twin engine rigs). As I was idling out from the dock I noticed one of the water pressure guages was at ZERO. Great! Upon inspection I discovered that one of the sea strainers was SHUT OFF! The port engine was getting NO WATER. Now I have to buy a water pump. Thanks again.
So far I have bought two batteries, a water pump and a tire for the trailer costing over a thousand bucks and I see on here that there are two sides to the story and I am the bad guy. Dumb maybe for trusting a slime ball, but not bad. I should have posted this sooner but hey Canadians are nice and I did not want to. Maybe I'll get a call from Legend Marine on this, I hope so but I'm not holding my breath.

Last edited by xcpilot; 05-04-2010 at 03:37 AM.
Old 05-04-2010, 06:54 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

xcpilot I got basically the exact same deal from Coty Marine in N.J. on a 38 Fountain Express Cruiser. Boat delivered from N.J. to Florida with dead bateries at 11:00 pm at night, had to run to walmart to get a new one to get the boat in a slip. Also, scratched the windshield when trailering down, wouldn't stand behind the delivery. Finally, the front engine mounts were lose on the starboard motor, had to fix that myself. I think the dealers don't care for customers that come from out of their area. I think Fountain dropped Coty as a dealer, so now he's dealing Cigs. Good luck future Cig owners
Old 05-04-2010, 08:21 AM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Wow that is a story.....

How old was the boat? (I suspect it was a new, 3 year old boat). Was it their boat or a repo dumped on their lot?

How much did you save buying it vs a new 2010?

Did you really expect a 3 year old boat not to have a couple of issues?

The strainer shut-off should have been caught by you in your pre-launch inspection. The bad tire/batteries should have been addressed by the dealership. But if you saved 50K and you are out 1K in misc. stuff I suspect you are way ahead of the game! If the boat is 3 years old you should change the impellers now also.
Old 05-04-2010, 08:26 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by xcpilot
Some here have asked what my problem is with Legend Marine. OK here goes. I met Greg at the Miami boat show and was quoted prices on his 35 Lightnings at the Fountain booth. Before the end of the show I started trying to contact him using all the phone numbers on his business card-there are several. I called at least 12 times and left messages with his salesman, secretary, on his cel, and his service manager and was NEVER CALLED BACK BY GREG. This stretched out over 5 days. He finally instructed his sales man to make a deal with me-I guess I was not important enough to call back. He refused to honor the prices he quoted at the show and said they were show specials only. Anyway, he passed me off to Mike. I flew to Dallas to inspect the boat and found several items I wanted corrected. The batteries were dead, the boat needed cleaning and I told them to have the shop go thru it and make sure it was ready to use. I also told them to charge the batteries. The boat was to be delivered to me at Lake Havasu Az. I will also add that every time they told me they needed a deposit or payment I complied promptly. Thus I had no leverage later on. Dumb on my part dealing with slime ball Greg.
When the boat was delivered to Lake Havasu I received a call from Mike to tell me the batteries were dead!? He said I would need a boost to start the baot. Strange I just told them to charge them 2 weeks before. Mike suggested new batteries and told me Greg told him to get my credit card to pay for the new batteries!!!!!!!!!!! Hmmmmm I said charge them, and they won't charge. Greg said deliver the boat, what is he going to do when it won't-start screw him. He can get his own batteries. Long and short of this is they dumped the boat which would not run on me in Havasu and drove away. Then I started looking for batteries that fit and there were NONE. Thanks Greg. I flew 2000 miles to meet your driver who dumped a boat that could not run. Havasu batteries tested both batteries and they were totally shot and would not charge at all. Thanks again Greg for sticking me me with a boat you knew would not run after I dealt with you in good faith and flew all the way from Canada to meet your driver. I'm not done there's more. I really appeciate the slashed tire you turned to the inside so I would not see it on the trailer. You should have put it on the passenger side so it could not be seen in the rear view mirror. How about your service shop? Either they are incompetent or the boat was not put thru the shop as instructed. When we launched the boat I was trying to absorb what all the guages were telling me (everything is doubled on twin engine rigs). As I was idling out from the dock I noticed one of the water pressure guages was at ZERO. Great! Upon inspection I discovered that one of the sea strainers was SHUT OFF! The port engine was getting NO WATER. Now I have to buy a water pump. Thanks again.
So far I have bought two batteries, a water pump and a tire for the trailer costing over a thousand bucks and I see on here that there are two sides to the story and I am the bad guy. Dumb maybe for trusting a slime ball, but not bad. I should have posted this sooner but hey Canadians are nice and I did not want to. Maybe I'll get a call from Legend Marine on this, I hope so but I'm not holding my breath.
Is this your first boat? Any boat owner knows to check all valves and plugs prior to starting the engines. I have a hard time believing you spent 1,000.00 dollars on a water pump 2 batteries and a tire. I heard you refused to pay for dealer prep therefore you are liable for any issues upon delivery. When someone buys a Repo boat they are taking a chance. Legend sold these boats for the Bank. As I have stated before I have bought several boats from them and was treated great.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:16 AM
OSO OG
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lots of ??'s New/repo/Demo/used/broker? How much did you pay? First "real" performance boat?
Old 05-04-2010, 11:21 AM
Registered

Would have kept $2-5K until delivery, sea trial, and customer approval.
Live and learn...The marine industry is the most shady of all deals. Most of all the repo deals.
Get everything in writing...EVERYTHING!!!
Old 05-04-2010, 03:55 PM
Registered

[QUOTE=Back4More;3101745]Would have kept $2-5K until delivery, sea trial, and customer approval.
Live and learn...The marine industry is the most shady of all deals. Most of all the repo deals.
Get everything in writing...EVERYTHING!!![/QUOTE

Good advice. I was a trusting sucker.
Other questions answered:
1. The boat was a new 2008 repo.
2. The trailer was a new 2008.
3. I was assured the shop would be going thru the boat to be sure it was ready for use before delivery.
4. I did view the boat-I flew to Dallas as stated above.
5. I knew the batteries were dead-I viewed the boat.
6. They knew the batteries would not charge before they delivered the boat.
7. The batteries are $275 EACH! No battery but OEM will fit without butchery to the beautiful box and cable installation from Fountain.
8. I paid Absolute Marine $311 for a water pump.
Old 05-04-2010, 04:01 PM
OSO OG
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

so you're talking $861? I'm sure you saved a bit more than that on the deal...
Old 05-04-2010, 04:20 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by DollaBill
so you're talking $861? I'm sure you saved a bit more than that on the deal...
Just to clarify, that was just the cost of the batteries. There was also $85 freight, $142 labor and $222 for the tire. This is how I ended up over $1000. Yes I saved alot buying the repo. The aggravation I went thru that morning after travelling so far hurt alot more than the money. Very dissapointing when you trust somone and they stick it to you. Then they lie about it after the fact and try and make you look bad.
Old 05-04-2010, 04:24 PM
Registered

Received 1,325 Likes on 739 Posts

I want to try again, because fountain will not warranty any pre BR boats, what does it matter if it is a new 2008 repo or a new 2008 that the dealer owns?
If I took Shogren's post as correct, you only get the engine and drive warranty anyway.

What am I missing? What does it matter if Legend owns them or they are repo's?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.