Dead beat engine builders

Notices

Dead beat engine builders

Old 07-01-2010, 08:22 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RunninHotRacing158
Congratz ??? NO blown motor here BIG Daddy still working on spacers & props and we're at 50 hours and still going strong .just waiting for next weeks Lake Winnebago run ,could'nt be happier since we distanced ourselvesfrom LARRYS ENGINE & MARINE who built motors with BIG CHIEF HEADS & 34 degrees timing and there now at 28 degrees and LUVIN IT ! we're dayz away from 1 year and were reliable a H@LL just check oil & fill her up with 93 Octane and let her rip . Sorry BIG Daddy no boating Vendors have any trouble taking my Coin $$$
broke Valve ??? cant be BIG Daddy we have Titanium the best $$$ can buy and Mike D. is telling me expect 140/150 hours .See ya on the pond Chalo
Old 03-30-2011, 08:43 PM
Registered

Jack boyd your a piece of $hit.Just saying
Old 03-31-2011, 09:32 AM
Registered

I am going to add after not reading half this thread.LOL

That sometimes a well built engine can be destroyed in seconds due to poor tuning alone. If you lose a head gasket or melt a piston thats not always the engine builders fault. Even if the thing was tuned on the dyno, once its in place in a car or a boat it needs to be re tuned. manifolding of the air intake system etc can wreak havoc on the tune.

N/A engines are a little less suceptible to this sort of thing but I do allot of turbocharged stuff and it can be finicky as hell. I always set up a tune FAT AND RETARDED. I call it that because people remember it. Then you sneek up on the leaner more advanced tune slowly. This will help keep you from melting the thing down . It can also make an engine make LESS POWER.
Many engine builers will sell an engine get max HP out of it for the dyno sheets then de tune it for the owner so they dont SMOKE IT!

If something blows up you really need to look over the parts and find out what the root cause of the problem was before blaming an engine builder.

With outboards a simple mistake like touching a magnet to a roller bearing can blow it up. It will magnetize the bearing and pull any metal debris left over from machining right into the bearing. Thats a builders mistake!

head gaskets are USUALLY, a tuners mistake unless the heads weren't torqued or machined properly for the type of gasket Cometic, copper o ring, etc.
just my .02

My buddy had a SBS making 780 HP the best of everything ty rods etc, and it kept blowing up in less than 15 runs. Couldn't figure out why, oil pressure tune everything was fine, It had a aftermarket wet sump pump in it. He switched to a melling hi volume and a accu sump and it saved the engine. been running for 2 seasons now. Of course he made 2 changes at once so were not sure what did it the accusump or the oil pump. but we know it probably wasnt the engine builders fault! It was a design flaw.

Last edited by 30ctsutphen; 03-31-2011 at 09:41 AM.