What would you do??? >

What would you do???

Notices

What would you do???

Old 09-28-2011, 02:29 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What would you do???

Just looking for advice. I had a local machine shop. Build me a motor that lasted around 20 hours before it dropped a valve and took out #4 cylinder. I took my lick saying "sh*t happens" so the shop agreed to covering all the labor if I covered parts which was around $900. 9 months later (august to may) I finally get my boat back with the new engine. Well this one had issues from day one broke two rocker studs and wiped out my valve covers which they sold me and found me some aluminum tall covers which had no baffles which I was unaware of until after 18 hours the motor blew up again wiping out the crank. I had asked why the motor had let go and they told me it only had 3 quarts of oil in it and I was at fault because as the operator I failed to check the oil!!! Mind you this is my third time out with the boat after the new install the first two times out was cut short due to the rocker studs snapping. So they tell me for $400 they can repair the motor again so I agree since I have no idea what really happened and the motor was no good to me in it's present condition. They call me a month & 1/2 later telling me the motor was done and I could pick up. I went to get it and they tell me I owe them $1200 because there was a lot of parts they had to get after they tore in to it. I am not happy at this point so I pay them in full and as I'm leaving he says you need to get some push in breathers because the holes in the valve covers are right over the pushrod and it is spraying oil up my breather tubes he says he has them plugged for now and I can run it no problem. so I ask is that where the 4-5 quarts of oil disappeared causing the motor to blow the last time and he responds it may have been a factor?? Remember he put these valve covers on for me. Obviously this was the exact reason it blew up the Oil was spraying up the breather tubes
down the carb!! So me and my wife leave there launch the boat take it
for a ride all seems well motor runs strong then I lift the hatch and out comes this huge cloud of white smoke from oil spaying all over the engine room. So I returned to the launch called them and he says it's a easy fix he will take care of it Monday, it is Friday and now my weekend is shot. The real kicker is he agreed to water test before I picked it up which he never did leaving me and my wife to me test pilots. I am done dealing with this guy and am thinking of taking him to court for the $1200 for the last build feeling it is their fault the motor blew up. Am I out of line?? What would you guys do??
Old 09-28-2011, 03:17 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like a shoddy engine builder.

I take there isn't any warranty? You might be SOL...
Old 09-28-2011, 03:49 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Gladhe8er
Sounds like a shoddy engine builder.

I take there isn't any warranty? You might be SOL...

No both receipts state 90 day warranty which both failures were barely in to the first month. I haven't even mentioned other things he has done but I just wanted to focus on the big stuff. It has been a 2 year nightmare!!!
Old 09-28-2011, 05:26 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Were the parts that failled New or used for your old engine? Was thos a entire new motor? Need more info on this to give you my thoughts. Does the engine buider only do Marine motors? If it was a new motor pan to carb then yes he needs to man up and fix for free or return yoour money but I cannot judge this until we know all the facts
Old 09-28-2011, 06:44 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

why does it matter if the parts were new or used / even from the original engine the shop build it and screwed it up rent a helicopter lift the junk engine up about 400 feet and give it back to them thru their roof they will figure out who it was real quick
Old 09-28-2011, 07:11 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

did you happen to have paid by credit card if so do a charge back on your card that will get his attention real quick
Old 09-28-2011, 07:13 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

contact a lawyer,see what he or she thinks,you could go ebay ed,s way,if u do,you wont have to worry or wonder how long before it takes a chit for the third time.even better,have them build u a high dollar motor,then tell them to keep it.
Old 09-28-2011, 08:09 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Gary864
Were the parts that failled New or used for your old engine? Was thos a entire new motor? Need more info on this to give you my thoughts. Does the engine buider only do Marine motors? If it was a new motor pan to carb then yes he needs to man up and fix for free or return yoour money but I cannot judge this until we know all the facts

Everything was new only thing we reused was the mercruiser exhaust.
Old 09-28-2011, 08:24 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Your in Michigan just call Tyler Crockett and he will get you right!
Old 09-28-2011, 08:46 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by JCPERF
Your in Michigan just call Tyler Crockett and he will get you right!
True story.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.