Beware American Express  Credit Cards >

Beware American Express Credit Cards

Notices

Beware American Express Credit Cards

Old 02-04-2015, 09:06 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beware American Express Credit Cards

Since I had gotten an American Express Card in 1990, I almost always payed with my American Express Card. I had always felt that if something went wrong Amx would back me up and credit the charge back.

After 25 years of having an American Express Card, I contested my first charge that I felt was wrong and American Express said the charge was going to stand.

I had ordered a flat bed trailer to be made. They told me it would take a few weeks to get made. There were many missed deadlines when they said the trailer would be ready and it wasn't Before the trailer was finished I see a charge on my American Express bill that the trailer company had charged the full amount for the trailer. I try for a few more weeks trying to get the trailer but every time it was another story as to why it was not done. On my last trip to go and pick up the trailer it is sitting out in their front yard. My Son and I walk up to it and can not believe how they had done the ramps. We both felt like the first time we were to pull a tractor or truck on the trailer we would rip of the mounting. While we are looking at it, the Sales man walks up and say that every time he shows the trailer he tells the prospective client that he can not believe the way they had done the ramps and that they were not the right way to be made. After looking at trailer for a little while and taking pictures of it we decided not to pick the trailer up until they did something with the ramps. At the time we did not realize, until looking at the pictures later, that it did not even have the correct lights on it to meet DOT standards for trailers.

When we got back home I called American Express and contested the charge for the trailer since we did not have the trailer yet and at the rate things were going had no clue if we would ever get it.

After American Express talks to the manufacture they side with the manufacture on the charges to my card. Once I got the letter I called them and asked, we do not have a trailer, the credit card was charged without my authorization, the amount charged was more then the quote I had been given, and sending you 48 pages of email, texts, pictures, and documents, how can anyone agree with the charge?

American Express response."You ordered the trailer, they said it was ready, and you did not pick it up" He said they did not care if I approved the charge since the manufacture had my credit card number on file. When the call was started I was told the conversation was being recorded. In the end I asked if the recording of our call could be emailed to me. His answer was we will only give it to you if you have a subpoena. After the phone call I shredded my American Express cards. Once I see all of my current charges have gone thru I will call them and cancel the cards.

It now looks like I am going to have to sue the manufacture to get my money back.

Moral of the story, American Express does not have your back.
Old 02-04-2015, 09:34 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

That's extremely disappointing to hear.
Old 02-05-2015, 05:55 PM
Registered

Received 881 Likes on 478 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbojack

Moral of the story, American Express does not have your back.
I used to work for the financial services arm of AE......they were known as "the blue box mob!" I had a gold card for free (no fees) while I worked there. I flew to Ireland for a friend's wedding and the airline I flew went out of business while I was there (think Eastern Airlines but in Ireland). Had to buy tickets in Ireland to return home on a different airline. I got back, contested the charge since they were out of business (planes gone, signs at airport gone, national headlines in paper etc). But since the call center in America was still working, American Express denied the claim. I paid it and never spent another dollar with AE!
Old 02-07-2015, 05:51 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,291 Likes on 446 Posts

Same here. I gad an ex gf steal a gold card from me and run up charges. She wasnt even a signer on the account. I filed a police report as well. Amex said sorry i should have secured the card. To this day i wont accept it at my business and they still call every couple weeks trying to get me to. They also charge vendors almost 5% to accept it at their business.

Last edited by offshoredrillin; 02-07-2015 at 06:51 PM.
Old 02-07-2015, 06:49 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

thanks guys for posting this up.to many options out there to put up with that .
Old 02-07-2015, 07:20 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you claim fraud by the company it will stop the charge usually
Old 02-07-2015, 07:28 PM
Registered

Received 190 Likes on 105 Posts

Booked flights to pri a couple years ago when it was in Orlando over the phone (Amex travel). They had the return flight for the correct day but not month, and had us spending an extra month there.

Found this out while on the plane there. Got killed on three one way short notice flights. Stopped payment on the initial charge and of course it was denied. Need to set up a new card for a business to get rid of the one I have, hardly anyone takes it.
Old 02-08-2015, 06:17 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,291 Likes on 446 Posts

Chase ink business card is great for small business.
Old 02-08-2015, 12:10 PM
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rented a car with Amex and waived the insurance because when you pay for rental with Amex they claim they cover it....well the vehicle got Damaged and they denied the claim and I had to pay out of pocket
I no longer have Amex card in my wallet
Old 02-08-2015, 12:34 PM
Registered

Received 730 Likes on 327 Posts

However the bad guys do it our Chase account has been hijacked when we've used indoor bank ATM's in Mexico a number of times and Chase has always been very responsive and restored our funds ASAP.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.