Chris Challof from CMC Systems refuses to pay me

Notices

Chris Challof from CMC Systems refuses to pay me

Old 09-11-2013, 03:24 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Chris Challof from CMC Systems refuses to pay me

Ok guys I know this is not boat related but I need to get the word out on this guy.

I have over the last few years done a number of jobs with this Chris Challof from CMC Systems in Dover, MA. Every time a job finished there would be a balance owed. Then the next job would come in and he would promiss to make good on the end of that job... You know how this story goes... The old rob Peter to pay Paul.

There was a job that we were working on that I was there almost daily for over a year and a half. It was a job that we took over from another company that was a mess. It had a lot of things that needed to be fixed like wiring issues and equipment that was broken. After a lot of time on the job the customer said that they wanted the system to be stable for 3 months before final payment was made. This was back in December of 2012. I had been asking Chris to put a bill together for final payment since that time and get it over to this customer. That way after the 90 days had passed they could get a payment out. Well the other day I emailed the customer and asked them if it was OK for me to just bill them directly because I had not been able to get Chris to respond. They called me up and told me that they had received a invoice from him in June or July for what they thought was the final invoice and had paid it in full and thought that they were done. They told me that they did not like working with him so they hired another company. They are going to send a letter of reference for me because they did like my work. If I was just to bill for my estimated repair time this was over 18,000 dollars (when I started the job I had no idea how much stuff was wrong). I also paid over 1500 in sub contracted labor that I brought on the job. These guys never got paid by Chris so I paid for them because I felt responsible for getting them involved with this guy. There are thousands in equipment that he never paid me for.

While the above job is going on I was also working with him on another job. This was a job that we were starting from scratch. I did the design of the system. His company was going to do all the install and I was going to do the program and terminate the fiber. I sold the customer a decent sized 200,000 dollar system. Chris got some payments from the customer and called me up to order equipment. The stories started with him. He told me that the customer shorted him on the checks and that he just had enough to order the equipment from me but not to pay me the profits that he owed. I ordered the equipment and got it to him anyhow. I did this because he convinced me that the customer still owed him a substantial payment. I should have known something was wrong when I went on site and saw a lot of equipment that was not what I specified. It was a lot cheaper then what I had put in my design. There were amps missing (still are) and other things that were not part of the spec. Move in date comes and Chris had never ordered the remotes for the job. He kept telling me that the customer had never paid him for the remotes and that he could not get them. The customer and I ordered up 11 Ipad Mini's and installed them so that he could have a functioning system on move in. We got the system up and running with the Ipad Mini's. The customer liked the Ipad mini interface and cancelled the other remotes. Some time went on and after not being paid any money I stoped responding to the customer. He emailed me a while back and asked why I was not responding. I told him that I had not been paid any money for his job. He and his wife were floored and pissed. He told me that he thought he had paid in full for the job. He asked me to do a full accounting on the system. I did. He gave me a list of all the checks that he had written. He was as far as I could tell paid in full other then some small work order changes. In fact he had over paid for the system! I showed this to Chris and he said that he would figure out what all the work order changes are and get back to me. When I initially asked him what the work order changes were he said between 5 and 10K. After he saw the accounting that I sent him all of the sudden he was telling me that the work order changes were 20K. I waited and waited and nothing for his add on list and I of course never got it. I texted him 2 days before Labor Day and asked him if he could get me the accounting with his add ons by the tuesday fallowing Labor day weekend. He said he would. This never happened.

I am now trying to figure out what to do. This guy has screwed me probably all total for between 75 and 100K (the range depends on if you look at the estimates or the actuall time spent on jobs.) Add to that lost money if I was working on different jobs instead of his. This has been a staggering loss for me. The guy that owns the last house has now hired me and I am working directly for him trying to fix the mess that has been left behind. He is going to pay some of my past bill but it is looking like it is going to be about 30K short of what I should be paid. He is also of course going to pay me on a go forward basis. I can try and go after him in court but if I get the judgment is there any assurance of payment? Probably not. This whole thing sucks and as you can see is keeping me up at night.

Thanks for listening and getting the word out.

Jon
Old 09-11-2013, 06:02 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what a piece sh1t,break his jaw
Old 09-11-2013, 06:18 AM
Registered

Received 793 Likes on 448 Posts

Lawyer up!!!!
Old 09-11-2013, 06:34 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I have left a few messages this AM for some guys to call me back. I think getting the judgment at this point and time will be the easy part. I just don't know if I can ever leverage that into getting paid. Maybe I can sell it off to collections once I get the judgement?
Old 09-11-2013, 07:44 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

I've been ripped off for BIG bucks before. A judgement is all well and good, but it comes down to the integrity of the person you're dealing with. A judgement cost me money and I haven't seen a dime.

Never looked into the collections thing, but trying to bleed a rock in the end made me just give up. I feel for you for sure.
Old 09-11-2013, 07:24 PM
Registered

you need to start looking into the structure of the business you are dealing with (CMC Systems)

if it is not structured properly or if their have been "piercings" in the veil of that corporate structure then you can probably use a court judgement to start placing a lien on personal property like real estate and cars as well as any company property

that is if the person is even incorporated and not just a sole proprietorship if they are a sole proprietorship then you can probably immediately go after personal assets after any judgement

keep in mind that a lien only works when it comes time to sell or liquidate those assets that have a lien on them AND you have to "perfect" that lien properly right from the start and then maintain that lien through the years with repeated filings ect

if this individual has personal assets that are unencumbered and you can get a lien on them either because it is a sole proprietorship or because of a poor corporate structure or poor dealings between the corporation and the individual that will probably what gets their attention the soonest and for the highest resolution

so this will require a judgement in court of course and then research on what type of entity you are dealing with and possibly even looking at the structure and the financials of that entity if it is a corporate structure before you can decide where you are able to best place any liens
Old 09-11-2013, 08:52 PM
Registered

Appears to be an obama voter
Old 09-12-2013, 07:24 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess it's of no real relevance but I'm trying to decipher what your line of work is..... Alarm systems?
Old 09-12-2013, 01:39 PM
Mac
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

In Oklahoma you would file a lien against the company cmc was hired to do the work for
Old 09-12-2013, 05:04 PM
Registered

Go Get a Tetanus Shot.................

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.