Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Beware and Stolen
Beware of '38 Top Gun on Ebay >

Beware of '38 Top Gun on Ebay

Notices

Beware of '38 Top Gun on Ebay

Old 07-30-2014, 01:54 PM
Registered

Received 36 Likes on 17 Posts

there were no issues. i had my heart set on a speedmaster boat and i couldnt find one within my budget so i was just about to pull the trigger on it then i found mine i have now and made a deal. i didnt want a bravo boat. but the boat was priced right. had mild 575hp motors. the only thing i didnt like about the boat was no full cabin. the wife would have killed me if i brought that home with no full cabin lol
Old 07-30-2014, 01:56 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuckonstupid
I don't know the buyer from Adam. Selling high dollar items such as this boat is pretty straight forward, especially when it comes to the geographic location of the item for sale. The seller shot his opportunity to defend himself when he listed an item for sale in Florida when the item is actually located in another country, that's just shady business. Regarding myself selling a boat, I sold mine in 11 days for full asking price, money was wired to me from buyer and the boat is sitting where I told the buyer to pick it up, it's not that hard to represent something accurately. I wasn't trying to argue with you, but reading the ad and him throwing a stone at the previous buyer is not justified when he's the one making what should be an easy transaction complicated.
And I agree, however now this eBay boat is listed as a "scam" and I am not sure it is. Sounds to me more like lack of communication, and the seller may be an azz hole...which would make him the first cig owner that was an azz hole right?

I explained the location thing in an earlier post, that could have been an oversight. Again I wouldn't be surprised if it was a scam, yet I also wouldn't be surprised if it was just a frustrated seller. Read his notes on the new ad, sounds more like frustration, a scammer wouldn't post that
Old 07-30-2014, 01:59 PM
Registered

Received 294 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by 4bus
And I agree, however now this eBay boat is listed as a "scam" and I am not sure it is. Sounds to me more like lack of communication, and the seller may be an azz hole...which would make him the first cig owner that was an azz hole right?

I explained the location thing in an earlier post, that could have been an oversight. Again I wouldn't be surprised if it was a scam, yet I also wouldn't be surprised if it was just a frustrated seller. Read his notes on the new ad, sounds more like frustration, a scammer wouldn't post that
Agreed, sounds like the seller is a d!ck. lol at the stereotype of cigarette owners.
Old 07-30-2014, 02:06 PM
Registered

Received 36 Likes on 17 Posts

HEY RON the cig vs fountain thread is in general discussion
Old 07-30-2014, 02:16 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 88bullet
there were no issues. i had my heart set on a speedmaster boat and i couldnt find one within my budget so i was just about to pull the trigger on it then i found mine i have now and made a deal. i didnt want a bravo boat. but the boat was priced right. had mild 575hp motors. the only thing i didnt like about the boat was no full cabin. the wife would have killed me if i brought that home with no full cabin lol
I understand the wifey cabin thing lol. my girlfriend has been bugging me to get an express cruiser but there's no way unless its like my 3rd or 4th boat
Old 07-30-2014, 02:23 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I agree with the lack of communication. From reading the post and spelling it seems like the owner is a french quebecois. In general their french is no good and their english is reallyreallyreally bad he may have a florida number and figures its easier for americans to call him. on the canadian ads he lists his shop number and cell phone. The location he's in straddles the quebec/ontario border and the numbers are legit for that area. If it wasnt for the cabin issue I'd go pick it up this afternoon just for the sake of saying I own a cig. Unless of course that would make me a cig azz hole lol
Old 07-30-2014, 03:38 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

does anyone know the current sellers name?

Local99 if you have the funds available to buy a 50k boat wouldnt you have the 500 bucks to go fly and take a look at the boat? you can win a auction with your cell phone these days. OR put a couple hundred dollar deposit on the boat when the auction ended then go look at it worst case your out a couple hundo. alot of guys spend alot of money just going to look at boats and end up walking away. thats part of boat buying you have to deal with. been there done that.

and with a rockin 4 post count you may wanna take it easy with the blasting of other members. we all work hard for our money. im a auto mechanic... 4bus sells snake oil... we arent any different than you my friend. may wanna put your guns back in your holsters
I am not blasting anyone. I came on here to give a heads up. I never said the guy was a scammer (4bus used that term). Your boy started the argument. I merely stated what I experienced so that someone else knows what they are getting into. Also, as I reiterated before. I tried to work the deal out. The seller ran when I started asking questions. And even when it looked weird I offered to come up, give him cash deposit and make sure the boat was legit.

So sorry, I didn't know I needed to have a certain number of posts to make a valid argument or protect fellow enthusiasts.
Old 07-30-2014, 03:49 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I never said it was a scam. You did... twice...You came out of the gate attacking me when I was just trying to do the right thing. What proof do you want? I said at the end to PM me. I have a copy of the registration he sent. What would I have lied about? I gave the best interpretation of my side. I know you don't know me. Ask me anything. I have nothing to hide. Anyone needing to know more could easily contact me. As I said before, I was just trying to look out for everyone's best interest. Sorry I bothered now.
Old 07-30-2014, 04:56 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Local99
I just wanted to give everyone a heads up.....

I bid on and won a 1987 Top Gun on Ebay, location listed as Fort Lauderdale. Has the neon cover. Quickly send an email to the seller asking for a copy of the title so that I can send info to bank of which I was pre-approved. A day later I get a call from a Canadian number. Seller says he is in Canada with the boat. Just wire money. 3 days later I get the info and name on title for boat and trailer are completely different than the seller. He says it is his girlfriend and that isn't a problem. Hurry up and wire money.

I said I would come up to Canada with certified check and look at the boat and finalize everything. "I don't want a certified check...wire a deposit or I will sell to someone else".

I offered to come with $3000 cash deposit and the remaining on certified check. He said "ok". Calls me an hour later sounding very paranoid... "Was that you that drove into the lot? I saw NY plates!!" WTF!!??

He dragged his feet on any info I needed. Just wanted a wire transfer. Was real quick on sending bank info though. I caught him in several lies. Turns out the person on the title is a fairly well known athlete. I found her number but haven't called her.

Further investigation (thanks Google) revealed that he had an exotic car business which is now defunct. Probably because he is rude and irrational.

Anyway, I have no idea if a complete scam or someone trying to scramble for cash. He wound up telling me to go screw and re-listed it. I have to fight a Unpaid item mark on my Ebay account but better than dealing with this crap.
I just didn't want anyone here getting scammed and your more than welcome to PM me for more info.
This is your first post, note the last paragraph and you will see where I got the idea you were calling him a scammer, is it that hard to see?

Again, I am not trying to come down on you, just trying to give an unbiased review of a one sided story. 90 percent of the people considering that boat will end up here, should the guy be assumed to be a scam artist because you couldn't make a deal?

And again, maybe you are right. But If I was selling a boat and couldn't put a deal together I would freak if a disgruntled buyer posted something like this. Everything you state can be taken the other way, or is an assumption.

Thanks for looking out, and I hope the seller responds with some kind of rational explanation, or is discovered to be a true scammer. Either way everyone is happy
Old 07-30-2014, 06:58 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

HEY RON the cig vs fountain thread is in general discussion
Wow... it took 30+ posts to get Fountain into a Cig thread??? I'm a little disappointed in you guys...

carry on...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.