Hypothetical rip off?!! >

Hypothetical rip off?!!

Notices

Hypothetical rip off?!!

Old 10-08-2014, 01:36 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Budman II
Good luck with that one! I run a web site that sells equipment for treating sleep apnea. One of the products that we sell is a DC battery to run the machines. They have a 1-year warranty. Had a customer call me 3 years after buying one to tell me his won't work - bad cell in it. Could have told him sorry 'bout yer luck, but offered to sell him a replacement at our cost and ship it free. Instead, he orders another one from the site, we ship it, and a week later he files a "not as described" claim with PayPal and SENDS BACK THE OLD ONE. These things have serial numbers on them, and it was obvious that he had opened the case on it, so we sent PayPal a bunch of pictures to document our case, along with screen images to show that he had bought one 3 years ago and was shipping back the old one. Didn't matter - PayPal ruled in his favor. We do $70K plus per year through PP with NO other claims besides this one. Doesn't matter - PP is totally tilted in the buyer's favor. And good luck trying to communicate with an actual human being at PP - if you do, they will be in New Delhi.

Major credit cards are almost as bad if you are the retailer. It is so easy for customers to file a chargeback basically on a whim. Unfortunately it almost always is ruled in their favor, and the retailer is on the hook. It's no big deal if you are a huge corporation like WalMart, but for little guys like me, it's like death by a thousand daggers.
That's a bummer deal. I've had a few different issues with people on eBay/PayPal and they have always seemed to work out a fair deal for me and the other party. I have also had great luck with contacting people at PayPal.
Old 10-08-2014, 01:47 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TriPaC87
That's a bummer deal. I've had a few different issues with people on eBay/PayPal and they have always seemed to work out a fair deal for me and the other party. I have also had great luck with contacting people at PayPal.
Wish I had the same luck. I am absolutely serious that every time I tried to send an email, I got an automated message saying that I had to go through the resolution center, and that got me nowhere. Very frustrating. It was like the Experian Credit report commercial with the two computers talking to each other and saying "the human is on to us", "just make that annoying modem sound".
Old 10-08-2014, 03:40 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by I.C.U.Lookin
Basically any form of online purchasing/selling has its merit to be screwed. Hell in person people get screwed. It sucks, it's part of life and it will happen to all of us at some point. With a forum like this a lot of that is minimized. Yes it does happen but I bet nowhere near as often as places like eBay and cl. I like PayPal and will continue to use it. Stories like this is how we know who to avoid.
I agree. I use Paypal and it has saved me once. Single most important thing, ITEM MUST BE AS DESCRIBED when you list or describe item END OF STORY. In my dispute I found Paypal's resolution system to be fair to both parties. In my case Paypal found in my favour. I gave the seller the opportunity to cover the cost of return and I would send it back. I believe that was the right thing to do.

It is easy to knock Paypal but not so easy to design a better/fairer system for making payments.

Bring back "your word is your bond" and "your handshake is a done deal".
Old 10-09-2014, 04:14 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Smoking Joe
I agree. I use Paypal and it has saved me once. Single most important thing, ITEM MUST BE AS DESCRIBED when you list or describe item END OF STORY. In my dispute I found Paypal's resolution system to be fair to both parties. In my case Paypal found in my favour. I gave the seller the opportunity to cover the cost of return and I would send it back. I believe that was the right thing to do.

It is easy to knock Paypal but not so easy to design a better/fairer system for making payments.

Bring back "your word is your bond" and "your handshake is a done deal".
Joe, I agree that it would be tough to design a secure payment system that works for everyone, but PayPal, and to a lesser extent the credit card providers, have stacked the deck so much against the retailer that no matter what the buyer does, the decision will go in his favor. That's not a big deal to huge retailers like Amazon, WalMart, etc., but for smaller companies it can be a big deal. If more dishonest people actually knew how easy it is to game the system, it would probably be an even bigger problem.

OK, I'm done with my rant.
Old 10-09-2014, 08:28 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

You don't need to use PAYPAL to get screwed. Some people just think it is OK to tell you to fix there furnace and then not pay. And once you leave there house there isn't much that you can do.
Old 10-09-2014, 09:18 PM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tinkerer
You don't need to use PAYPAL to get screwed. Some people just think it is OK to tell you to fix there furnace and then not pay. And once you leave there house there isn't much that you can do.
Contractors lien in Texas
Old 10-09-2014, 09:26 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Phukkins go on every day in all walks of life, but that still doesn't make it right. Douchbags will always try to work the system to they're advantage.
Old 10-10-2014, 09:17 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The problem is he is in the military in Texas. ( Captain Dunn ) He owned a house here in Grand Rapids that last January lost it's heat when it was VERY cold. He has since sold the house. Anyway his handyman couldn't fix it so Captain Dunn authorized the handyman to hire me on his behalf. I fixed the furnace to the tune of $599. He refuses to pay the bill. If he lived here I would F with him. I would like to find out who his CO is and give him a call. I didn't know that the armed forces thought it was OK to steal from people.
Old 10-10-2014, 09:51 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Alright here is my 2 cents , oso is the the place for knowledge , and buying and selling hard to find parts , from people that actually have a clue about their history , what they do what they fit and life expectancy ect ect ,bought and sold here so far all is well .....BUT ....if I'm buying or selling and the other person doesn't want to provide a cell phone number for further communication, it ends right there . That's why we have eBay . But same rules apply there on select items , anything with a remotepossibilityof being a flopshow gets sold.in a way I can text the buyer .jusa hard to finmerc 3.0 lower to a guy cost me 80 $ to ship ,he was never going toia text .otherwise known as instant commminication, even if I am busy doing somet
Old 10-10-2014, 09:56 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

As I was saying . If I was texting this message I would also be enjoying my dinner while watching the news instead of wondering why this little Verizon wonderphone couldnt do what I wanted it to do .but it does text ,both quickly and flawlessly

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.