Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Beware and Stolen
Beware American Express  Credit Cards >

Beware American Express Credit Cards

Notices

Beware American Express Credit Cards

Old 02-08-2015, 04:54 PM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 5 Posts

Years ago the first credit card I applied for was an American Express card. I have to admit I was feeling kind of special when I received it. The first time I tried to use it, the retailer did not accept American Express cards. So therefore I had to re-think my situation. #1 I had to pay an annual fee. #2 I had to pay off the balance at the end of the month. #3 There were no reward points, and #4 I couldn't use it. I went from feeling kind of special, to feeling pretty stupid. The next day I got a Wells Fargo Visa, and I still have it today.
Old 02-09-2015, 06:56 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

I have a Starwood points AmEx card I use to get free lodging for ski trips. I only use it for "no brainer" purchases for my business (I remodel and will throw rough materials on it etc.). The things I use it for I'll never have a dispute over, otherwise I'll use my MasterCard. Honestly I wouldn't rely on any card for covering me in a transaction, they really only have one thing in mind and it not your welfare.
Old 02-09-2015, 07:44 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by harleyeater
If you claim fraud by the company it will stop the charge usually
Ah yes this is true with CREDIT cards, but AMEX is a CHARGE card... not the same rules as a CREDIT card...
Old 02-09-2015, 08:51 AM
Registered

Received 190 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by adk61
Ah yes this is true with CREDIT cards, but AMEX is a CHARGE card... not the same rules as a CREDIT card...
I think only four of their cards are just charge cards. The rest are all credit.
Old 02-10-2015, 05:12 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tmmii
I think only four of their cards are just charge cards. The rest are all credit.
I had sent 48 pages of documents to AMX and they did not give a dam. They did not even care that the quoted price I had gotten in an email did not match the price they charged me.

I did not use the term fraud so that might have been the trick.

Update

We send the manufacture an email asking if trailer was ready to be picked up. Their answer back was not yet since they still had to add the lights that we had requested and redue the ramps so they would work. I am guessing AMX had sent my 48 pages to them since we never said anything to them about the lights not meeting DOT requirements.

I then sent the email to American Express and opened up a new new dispute, had them put down to also view the other 2 disputes dealing with this. I just checked and they have under inquire Reason "Ticket/Merchandise not received" It looks like this is a canned response so maybe I might make some traction with this.
Old 02-11-2015, 06:13 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had amex for years not good people to deal with gave then up years ago.
Old 02-11-2015, 09:33 AM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have two cards with them, one personal and one business. They have been good to excellent in all the years I have had one since 79. There have been some unusual incidents over the years that have always worked out the way I wished. On one occasion I had to charge the whole value of a new pickup truck to my card in Mexico since I couldn't buy insurance for where I was taking it (jungle).

Their optional high value SUV insurance is a great service as is no foreign service fee deal on the Platinum card.
Old 02-12-2015, 10:34 PM
Registered

Received 48 Likes on 14 Posts

I threw my card away years ago after getting in an argument with a dingbat at Amex that wouldn't refund a flight I never took...anyway thought you might enjoy this story...

http://www.wsj.com/articles/american...ity-1423746408

By
Robin Sidel

Updated Feb. 12, 2015 8:20 p.m. ET

American Express Co. and Costco Wholesale Corp. are ending their 16-year relationship, a surprise move that pummeled AmEx’s stock price and will trigger a major upheaval in the card industry.
Old 02-13-2015, 10:31 AM
Registered

Received 127 Likes on 74 Posts

About 4 years ago, my company switched from Diners Club Master Cards (accepted darn near everywhere) to these Amex cards that almost nobody accepts because of the high fees. They work fine for the execs that just travel and pay for flights and hotels with them, but trying to use them for materials/equipment to actually do a job is difficult especially with smaller vendors. Best part is corporate doesn't like when you use other cards for expenses and it gets difficult.
Old 02-14-2015, 08:16 AM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by 28 V
I threw my card away years ago after getting in an argument with a dingbat at Amex that wouldn't refund a flight I never took...anyway thought you might enjoy this story...

http://www.wsj.com/articles/american...ity-1423746408

By
Robin Sidel

Updated Feb. 12, 2015 8:20 p.m. ET

American Express Co. and Costco Wholesale Corp. are ending their 16-year relationship, a surprise move that pummeled AmEx’s stock price and will trigger a major upheaval in the card industry.
Costco is a "price thug" and almost dictates the prices to the manufacturers under the guise that "it is the best for their members." Clearly AMEX didn't think the move was going to hurt them but Wall Street clearly disagreed.