Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Beware and Stolen
Buyer beware- 2005 fountain 42ft executioner in classifieds!!!! >

Buyer beware- 2005 fountain 42ft executioner in classifieds!!!!

Notices

Buyer beware- 2005 fountain 42ft executioner in classifieds!!!!

Old 12-18-2015, 03:32 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buyer beware- 2005 fountain 42ft executioner in classifieds!!!!

http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifi...rs-o63111.html

I contacted Ron Belk about his 2005 Fountain Executioner he had for sale. I was interested in his boat and wanted to come look at it. I sent a refundable $5,000 deposit to hold the boat contingent on any major engine/fiberglass/hull issues. I flew a reputable boat mechanic out to California with me to look at the boat and survey it for me. The bottom of the boat had a bunch of spots where the gelcoat was torn away and the fiberglass was showing. The hull needed to be refinished/gel-coated. THIS IS A MAJOR REPAIR!!! I contacted Ron and stated my findings and told him I don't want the boat and want my deposit back. I DON'T WANT TO BUY YOUR BOAT, SEND MY DEPOSIT BACK!!

I ATTACHED A LINK TO HIS BOAT THAT IS ON THIS SITE NOW.
Old 12-18-2015, 06:13 PM
Registered

Received 217 Likes on 112 Posts

so instead of waiting to see if he will send your check back you start a thread like this??

Maybe you should have a fiberglass guy look it ,not a mechanic.I am a master GM certified tech and I can tell you a lot about the mechanical end of a car,but I am not the guy to ask about body work on a car,just saying!!
Old 12-18-2015, 06:41 PM
Registered

It's been a week since I told him I didn't want it. He knows the hull is an issue because he immediately tried drooping the sale price by $5,000 to cover the expense. I declined the new sales price but he's still giving me the run around.
Old 12-18-2015, 08:00 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,124 Likes on 474 Posts

I don't know the boat or the vendor but it looks like you've just joined OSO to post a warning about this guy. Sounds a touch harsh to me. Just going from what you have posted, he should have your money refunded by now but may be a little soon to 'out' him as a crook or a swindler?

Always good to hear in advance about any boat that may have problems, perhaps a second opinion from a fibreglass expert would be in order? The vendor sounds like he's ready to deal....

RR
Old 12-18-2015, 08:57 PM
Registered

Received 57 Likes on 27 Posts

The boat seems to be priced about 40k below a similar year 42' with stock 525's. I would think that is due to some of the repair work needed. I don't think you will find another one anywhere near that price.
Old 12-19-2015, 06:07 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd like to see some shots of this repair. Yes it won't be factory new. But a little gel coat certainly isn't the end of the world. As long as structurally integrity hasn't been compromised. Should have been noted in sale though. But substantial price drop. Could be a good deal for a little gell and buffing.
Old 12-19-2015, 06:08 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

I wouldn't have even given him a deposit. I'd have just sent a surveyor out and if it checked out then I'd have sent the deposit.
Old 12-19-2015, 06:26 AM
Registered

JMO a deposit is just that, unless stated as nonrefundable or it should be returned if buyer is not moving forward with the deal sounds like buyer was not made aware of the bottoms condition
Old 12-19-2015, 06:48 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

This is all a bit speculative without full knowledge of the damage.

If it's reasonably straight forward to repair properly, the boat is already priced sensibly and the guy is willing to talk further. That could also set off alarm bells as to why he may be eager to quit the boat cheaply. I did look at his YouTube videos and it looked pretty tidy but, who knows what's under the surface. Would be nice to see some pics of the damaged sections but I guess that's not likely.

Going by the original posters remarks, his deposit should be refunded pretty quickly because the boat did not meet his satisfaction.

RR
Old 12-19-2015, 06:59 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by ilemike
http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifi...rs-o63111.html

I contacted Ron Belk about his 2005 Fountain Executioner he had for sale. I was interested in his boat and wanted to come look at it. I sent a refundable $5,000 deposit to hold the boat contingent on any major engine/fiberglass/hull issues. I flew a reputable boat mechanic out to California with me to look at the boat and survey it for me. The bottom of the boat had a bunch of spots where the gelcoat was torn away and the fiberglass was showing. The hull needed to be refinished/gel-coated. THIS IS A MAJOR REPAIR!!! I contacted Ron and stated my findings and told him I don't want the boat and want my deposit back. I DON'T WANT TO BUY YOUR BOAT, SEND MY DEPOSIT BACK!!

I ATTACHED A LINK TO HIS BOAT THAT IS ON THIS SITE NOW.
I'm a little confused about one point and it may just be a misunderstanding on my part but you flew out to have a look at the boat with your mechanic but you contacted the owner to state your findings and tell him you didn't want to proceed. Wasn't the owner there at the time? Was there a period of time between your inspection and when you contacted him to advise you were not going to proceed?

RR

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.