New BT's @ FT Lauderdale

Notices

New BT's @ FT Lauderdale

Old 11-05-2006, 08:49 PM
'05 Concept SF23
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default New BT's @ FT Lauderdale

My wife and I looked at two very nice new 46's at the show. One was twin engine EC and the other was a triple engine std cockpit. The fit, finish, and hardware just gets better. I wonder what a pair of the new 700's and the NXT drive would do? Joe Murray
Old 11-06-2006, 06:37 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 35 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: New BT's @ FT Lauderdale

Did you get any pics of the boats?
Old 11-06-2006, 06:43 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have they finally done away with the 80s disco mirror and inexpensive counter top in the galley? IMO the BT need a lot of updating. I hope they are moving in this direction.
Old 11-06-2006, 06:59 PM
Charter Member #1093
Charter Member

Boomer 880,

I kind of liked my BT 80's disco mirror and cheap counter top. What kind of boat do you have? I'd like to know what's really, really cool today??

Thanks

Steve David
Old 11-06-2006, 08:15 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Steve:

I guess we differ in our opinion. I think a boat that costs as much as a BT would offer counter tops of a higher quality. A smal piece of Corian would be great and not cost so much. Not trying to dump on BT, but IMO parts of the cabin are very dated.

Did you buy another BT to replace your ride? If not, what did you get?

We just sold our Hustler, so we are boatless.
Old 11-07-2006, 12:08 AM
Charter Member #1093
Charter Member

Boomer,

I don't know that there is a boat made that meets every customers desire. Maybe the perfect boat has a "dial a boat" on the dash that lets it become whatever we want everytime we go out??

Most of the folks I met with Black Thunders weren't searching for something else, but appreciated the quality and value of the BT brand. More to the point, they appreciated the commitment of Don and Bob Jenkins to giving the most boat for the most reasonable price. Reasonable is certainly in the eye of the beholder.

We didn't replace our Black Thunder yet. Instead we own a 55 Sea Ray and a 62 Azimut on order. The Azimut does have corian countertops, and a few other accoutrements as does the Sea Ray. But again, one could say the Sea Ray isn't an Azimut, and the Azimut is priced accordingly.

When we tire of 26 knot cruising, we'll add another hi perf boat to our family, and it will be a Black Thunder, with that same cheap countertop and cheap disco mirrors. They are part of what makes a Black Thunder what it is. They're built in Hannibal MO by Americans with an appreciation for things original and solid. As my family and I made several trips to the Bahamas in our 43' Black Thunder, we were mighty glad, especially in 6 to 8 footers that we were in a Black Thunder, built rock solid. When we arrived in Nassau, or wherever, we'd go in the cabin and say "that is a cheesey mirror and the counter top isn't Corian", but we made it again, and the boat served us well. And most of those trips, we'd be the only high perf boat in the islands, unless it was another Black Thunder that went with us.

Let me make you this offer. You order a new Black Thunder, and as a git to someone I've never met, I'll pay them to give you a Corian countertop and mirrors of your choice and you'll then own the finest high perf boat for the money.

Until then, don't pick on us previous or current Black Thunder owners because of our poor interior design taste. We're just different , in fact some of us still have bell bottoms in our cabin closets and 8 tracks in our cars

Take care,
Steve
Old 11-07-2006, 07:10 AM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

I will say this about the BT guys, every show I have attended they were quick to answer any questions and super nice to talk to. I saw the two boats at the Lauderdale show and they had made some changes like roller coaster style seating so I would imagine they could make some interior changes as well. I can't say that you get the same reception at the Cigarette/ Outerlimits/ Fountain booths unless you have a checkbook in hand.
Also consider a new BT is with twin 525's is still faster than a Top Gun from the 90's and has a huge cabin that can rival some cruisers. Most people have admired the Top Gun's for years but they haven't made any cabin improvements except to make them smaller and more expensive.
Old 11-07-2006, 04:43 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Just a fairly new Black Thunder owner's 2 cents: We own the Orange 46 EC that was in the recent Powerboat Magazine. From the very start of building our boat, the Black Thunder folks said they are a "highly" custom built boat and that we should build (and paint) the boat to our liking. We even purchased our own cabin curtain/bed spread material and sent it to the factory for custom sewing and installation (and was credited their material cost). We also did not care for the mirror backing and we decided to go with the ultra leather (pic attached). We even picked out where we wanted the seat emblems, dash layout, etc. I am a member of a large boating club and each member can not believe the custom choices we were able to make. The factory is in a small town in Missouri and it was like a family event each time we visited. Very, very nice folks. The BT test ride pilot at the Miami Boat Show was also an amazing gentleman that is accustom to running 200 mph plus (Hi-Steve!). Tommy
Attached Thumbnails New BT's @ FT Lauderdale-bt2.jpg   New BT's @ FT Lauderdale-bt3.jpg  
Old 11-07-2006, 10:43 PM
Charter Member #1093
Charter Member

Hi Tommy,

Nice boat!!!! But come on, you're one of us now, where is the 8 track player

Steve
Old 11-08-2006, 08:15 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Steve,

I still have my triple player 8 track in the house. I was an original member of the 70's Preservation Society. Still have all my 8 tracks, but the quality of sound is not there. So in the boat, I went with "modern" electronics!

Thanks again for your assistance in the BT boat trial run in Miami (Feb. 2005). Boat is unbelievable. We have become good friends with Dennis (new daddy) and company. Too busy to make Key West this year and missing it greatly.

Have a good day - Tommy

Quick Reply: New BT's @ FT Lauderdale

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.