Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Black Thunder
Info on 46 Step Bottom Problems >

Info on 46 Step Bottom Problems

Notices

Info on 46 Step Bottom Problems

Old 07-10-2007, 10:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Info on 46 Step Bottom Problems

I am thinking seriously about moving up to a 43 or 46 Black Thunder. I have talked to a friend recently about a possible problem with the older 46' boats that had 2 steps. The boat wanted to roll to one side or the other somewhat severely and stay there even with the tab down 100%, until the boat experienced a few waves and the bottom freed up. He indicated that this is a known problem with the older boats, I myself was not aware of this if it is a problem. Has anyone else experienced this situation. If it was a problem have they corrected it on the newer models?

Any information to help make a good decision would be appreciated.
Old 07-10-2007, 10:59 AM
Registered

Looks like we are in the same situation...

Want an even bigger badder "condo-on-water" ..

In my research I have never heard that..
Old 07-10-2007, 01:47 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Never heard of that.
Old 07-10-2007, 04:03 PM
Registered

That does not make any sense. How can a bottom
"free-up"????
Old 07-10-2007, 06:34 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 35 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by marylandmark
I never heard or experineced that in the 500+ hours I have spread out over several Black Thunders..
How would you know you have never been sober on one.
Old 07-10-2007, 09:39 PM
Banned

your comments are factual, the boats cg is not proportioned properly, have driven 3 - 46's and been in several more, was unable to keep nose down and boat level, there was litigation with some owners in the past on this and improper sized drives issues, great looking boat, just needs the hull problems corrected and go with a konrad drive system, just too much boat for a bravo application
Old 07-11-2007, 08:29 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Buddy OO
your comments are factual, the boats cg is not proportioned properly, have driven 3 - 46's and been in several more, was unable to keep nose down and boat level, there was litigation with some owners in the past on this and improper sized drives issues, great looking boat, just needs the hull problems corrected and go with a konrad drive system, just too much boat for a bravo application

Wow... never heard of any of that...
Old 07-11-2007, 01:00 PM
Registered

I have experienced something similar with my 07 46 EC. If you are running slow 40-50mph and have your added weight (people-beer) in the boat not balanced properly from side to side, you may have to put alittle tab into it to run level. At higher speeds the boat runs higher out of the water and its not a issue. It isn't a problem at all with mine just something I noticed differant from my 97 steeped 43.
As for the bow. The drives are deep enough to make the bow hop if you want it to. When I notice it I just lower the drives some to make it go away. Again not an issue to me just something I noticed differant from my 97 BT.
I love the way my 46 runs. With Twin 525's I've been able to run 74 mph gps with 3/4 tank of fuel and 6 adults on board in fresh water. I'm very impressed with the hull not to mention the ameneties that my family of 5 enjoy while spending the weekend on it. my .02.
Old 07-11-2007, 02:35 PM
PF Marine
Platinum Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

They have a new bottom on the BT's that runs flawlessly. I believe it came out in late 05', early 06'. They are also building one with merc 850's and 6's right now. Member "THLWL" has one of the new bottoms and it has 525's in it.

Last edited by Coolerman; 07-11-2007 at 02:38 PM.
Old 07-11-2007, 08:14 PM
Banned

not aware of any hull changes in 05 or 06, what were they?, they did move the x dimension, set back on drive to help the porpoise, the bigger tabs do help the side to side problems but really should'nt be used for that problem, the deck is so tall it sway, due to wind and being top heavy. the hull displacement is not adequate to negate the above water line mass. again I like the amenities of the boat, but the 43 was a much better hull than the 46 .

Quick Reply: Info on 46 Step Bottom Problems

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.