Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Black Thunder
Don Jenkin's Selling Black Thunder Boats... >

Don Jenkin's Selling Black Thunder Boats...

Notices

Don Jenkin's Selling Black Thunder Boats...

Old 12-09-2011, 04:01 PM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

Black Thunders are awesome boats the problem is there are no new buyers in todays economy looking for a dual purpose boat. People with $500,000 to spend on a new boat buy either a cruiser or a go fast poker run boat. The used market fills in the blanks for the rest of us who want a large boat for overnight stays. There are so many deals on large Bajas, sonics, wellcraft excaliburs, and used black thunders.

Black Thunder needs to build a fast staggerd flat deck to compete with whats selling, fast poker run boats.

Yeah getting into CC's might work also, they already have the wide beam. But that market is boring to me....
Old 12-10-2011, 08:43 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by offshorexcursion
I agree with everything except the 47 fountain part, they are lame! LOL!
The lightning cabins are nice in the 47. Stand up head room, 2 burner elec stove, private head, fridge etc.... Lots of room in the cabin & cockpit.

Now the sport cruisers, I think they are ugly.

Last edited by 45Tripps; 12-10-2011 at 08:51 AM.
Old 12-10-2011, 08:50 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by offshorexcursion
Black Thunders are awesome boats the problem is there are no new buyers in todays economy looking for a dual purpose boat. People with $500,000 to spend on a new boat buy either a cruiser or a go fast poker run boat. The used market fills in the blanks for the rest of us who want a large boat for overnight stays. There are so many deals on large Bajas, sonics, wellcraft excaliburs, and used black thunders.

Black Thunder needs to build a fast staggerd flat deck to compete with whats selling, fast poker run boats.

Yeah getting into CC's might work also, they already have the wide beam. But that market is boring to me....
With the economy, the poker run specific type boat is a limited market I think. Not too many cash heavy buyers versus the guy looking for the all around boat/family type boat. Not that are not out there, just the number is limited I think.

Alot of the other manufacturers are getting into the CC market, because its an in between boat for alot of people.

The BT's are nice boats. Love the cabins, and overall they are good looking boats. Heard both good and bad about them depending on the year, model and engine config. Thats why I went Sonic again after owning a 42, I went to the 45. If the 47Lightning I was looking at, if the broker would had made a better deal, I would have ended up with that, especially since I was paying cash, not financing. Less issues to deal with.
Old 12-25-2011, 05:38 AM
Registered

not an expert,but why dont they make a smaller one,like a 33-35' ?
Old 12-25-2011, 04:33 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They did make 32 and they were starting to think about doing 28 footers but idk y thy didnt
Old 12-25-2011, 04:57 PM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Remember when they were called Don V's ??
Old 12-26-2011, 02:09 AM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Biggus
Remember when they were called Don V's ??
Chit stirrer......

Don V...... sounds so similar to Don ????
Old 01-25-2012, 10:19 AM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Came across this in the back of the latest issue of Professional Boat Builder. Thought you guys might be interested in the site.

http://www.hotboatmfr.com/
Old 01-25-2012, 01:00 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by OL40SVX
Came across this in the back of the latest issue of Professional Boat Builder. Thought you guys might be interested in the site.

http://www.hotboatmfr.com/
Thanks Dan.... its been for sale for awhile. Dont see it being sold either for what you get but thats life.
Old 01-25-2012, 01:19 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is some of the stuff i wrote on another site

As a former owner of a BT 43' (bought brand new in 1998) and former salesman of the boats for the company for a few years. I can tell you I loved my BT and had an incredible amount of fun with the boat. When the 46' was introduced (43' deck was stretched for the most part) the boat had many problems staying level (wanted to fall off left or right) I understand that issue was corrected some time after I ceased representing them.

The interior was amazing for a go fast boat and if you traveled distances in your boat this was the boat to own.
My wife at the time, wanted me to get rid of the Miami Vice Scarab and buy a Sea Ray. I said no way! That is when I started looking for something to satisfy her, and found the BT to fit my needs. This is why I named the boat “Our Compromise”

In my opinion anyone that purchase the molds, should be a current boat manufacturer that wants to add this boat to there line as a sport cruiser.
Making a living these days on what is essentially one length of boat, and three or four styles, is just not a smart plan. Myself and many others tried to get BT to go back and rebuild the 32' as an entry level boat, (was boat they started with) they would not do it. Had they had the 32' and the 46' (43' was still built as flat deck I think) in a couple of different versions, it may have been a better boat company to sell. If you are going to be a one boat size company you better plan on being a full time working owner with one or two employees. And what kind of talent will you be able to bring in with such a small output. In BT's best year or two I think they built and average of one or two boats a month. (1999 -2003) In the last few years 2 or three boats might have been built for the entire year. (might be a couple more) It is going to be tough to bring in the skill nessesary to keep the boats alive on there own merit

Also no major styling cues have been done on the 46 since the early 2000's the molds would have to be revamped to keep up with today’s technology and style. So what is the true value of an outdated mold? (Apache anyone?)

My opinion is that the company is not worth close to the asking price (keep in mind it is an ASKING price not sale price) And what they have to sell is very little in its total is not worth a lot

I saw this company in its Hey Day, I am afraid we now have all seen its Last Day

My old boat running starting at about the 2:30 minute mark

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSCquwf3SeY

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.