Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Black Thunder
What do you tow your BT with? >

What do you tow your BT with?

Notices

What do you tow your BT with?

Old 10-20-2013, 07:41 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have pulled mine with a F350 and F650. I did put EOH brakes on because the surge drum brakes that came on the Manning trailer SUCKED!
Also in my opinion a dually is the only truck to pull with.
A friend of mine that owns a BT was pulling with a 350 SRW truck and it was wet and jack knifed on him going down his driveway.
Your truck will defiantly pull it no problem but it's the other things your have to think about, traffic, idiots that pull out in front of you, weather.
Old 10-20-2013, 09:01 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Coolerman
The only problem with 80-90 is.... "Oh, hi officer." Just because you have big boobs Chris doesn't mean you can get out of a ticket. It doesn't work that way for dudes......
Actually it was the airplane that got me at 80+, and the officer informed me that I was gaining on the majority of traffic on I70. My response of " trying to get out of others way" didn't work
Old 10-21-2013, 10:23 AM
Registered

Received 4,368 Likes on 1,250 Posts

Someone I know tows a BT with a lifted Excursion.. dude is nuts. I sold EX cause it could not tow my 38 safely.. don`t know how hes pulling that off.
Old 10-21-2013, 02:14 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
Someone I know tows a BT with a lifted Excursion.. dude is nuts. I sold EX cause it could not tow my 38 safely.. don`t know how hes pulling that off.
Does he also have a F650? If so, i believe my Cig is sitting at his house.
Old 10-21-2013, 10:04 PM
PF Marine
Platinum Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by endeavor1
Does he also have a F650? If so, i believe my Cig is sitting at his house.
Probably a container ship right now.....
Old 10-22-2013, 02:30 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I am very cautious when I drive. Never in a hurry and when it comes to stopping I try to give myself plenty of time. What I hate the most when towing is when traffic lights turn yellow right when your on the verge of, can I stop or can I make it. It sucks too because I travel up rt 4 from Delaware Ohio to Sandusky and that road is 2 lanes 55mph with a few lights at the 55mph zones. The rest are in small towns which aren't bad cause I'm already slowing down.

Thanks for the great advice, stopping is always #1 when towing to me.
Old 10-22-2013, 02:34 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 344 Likes on 115 Posts

You need this!

http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifi...o53520-en.html

Special price this week, give me a call!!!
Craig
Old 10-22-2013, 03:13 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought a 3/4 ton SRW was sufficient for pulling/stopping a 38 Top Gun with surge brakes. Right up until it just about shoved me through a stop light right after it finished raining, anti-lock kicked in and luckily nobody was in front of me and got it stopped before I t-boned somebody. The first couple stop signs leaving the ramp weren't an issue, but the next intersection was pretty worn/smooth asphalt and even at under 25 mph, that's all it took to lose traction and things got a little hairy.

EOH at a minimum, and I would want at least a dually for a Black Thunder for sure.
Old 04-17-2014, 05:33 PM
Registered

Cool

I thought I read in the safety forum, that the proper vehicle selection must also take hitch max load rating into account...referencing the fact, that should an accident occur, the max hitch load rating is the 1st thing that LEO's and Insurance co. will look at in assessing blame (in an effort to deny the claim)...I have a 46EC and have been scared out of towing w/my F350 dually or 2500 HD...I did notice that a lot of guys were going to F450's...but, then was told that due to the BT's weight, I would need a F550 or better...I have also considered buying a used semi/tractor...Question: For those of you who have towed a BT or other heavy boat w/a F350..., were there any "lessons learned" or "specific" tips...I want to start attending runs all over the country, but I don't want to be limited by mountains etc... Note: I have even purchased a CC w/trips for towing...but, it ain't the same as a overnighting on a BT...I welcome any and all constructive comments...

Divenstar

Last edited by divenstar; 04-17-2014 at 05:41 PM.
Old 05-08-2014, 06:43 PM
Registered

I tow mine with F650 SRW, I lost trailer brakes just outside of St. Louis and towed it all the way to Orlando,Fl. I had zero trouble. I finally replaced the broken line and resumed using the trailer brakes.
It sure is nice to have brakes...........but I wuzzin scared.
Endeavor.......mind your own biz-Nass ......lol.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.