Bravo Drive Breakage on BT

Notices

Bravo Drive Breakage on BT

Old 01-21-2003, 01:29 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Bravo Drive Breakage on BT

We are looking to get a new BT in the next year, should the economy get a bit better. I have been working with the builder and can not wait until the day we can move forward.

In speaking with several BT owners in the past, I have a huge concern that the Bravo drive is just too weak to handle such a heavy boat. We are looking at 500EFIs (twins) or higher for engines.

What have you guys had for drive breakage (if any) on your BTs? Please share your set-up (HP and drives) so I can better understand the issue.

Also, I know last year that BT build a with B-Max's and IMCO SC drives... anyone here have this set-up? If so, how has it worked out.

Thanks for your input.
Old 01-21-2003, 04:34 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The boat we bought was originally built with 500's and Bravos. The owner upgraded the horsepower and was continually tearing up the drives. The boat was sent to Dollar Offshore to be refitted with #3 drives and from what we have been told there should be no problems as long as they were taken care of.
We don't have first hand experience with this setup but are anxious to try it out if it ever gets warm again.
The down side of this is weight. with the # 3 drives also comes the tramsmissions and all the added weight of the additional hardware plus the beefer drives. Oh well just add more power to move it RIGHT!!!!
From what all we have been told the set-up we have is supposed to what the boat needed. Have been told 88-92mph but will have to wait and see.

Bill & Patti
Old 01-21-2003, 05:19 PM
Charter Member #1093
Charter Member

We're running triple 700's with XR drives and have app. 150 hours on the drives with no problems. We're using 5 blade hydromotives with 1.36 gears. We take it REAL EZ getting on plane and don't hammer it in the rough stuff. Prior to adding the blowers we had 500 EFI's with the Bravo 1s and about 240 hours with no problems either.

If I were to order new, although we've had no problems with our XR's, I'd go with B Max drives.

Steve
Old 01-21-2003, 05:51 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Thanks for some early feedback.

43Thunder... what horsepower are you running to hit the estimated speeds you outlined? Is this a twin or triple set-up? What year is the boat? Stepped version?

Steve... I understand you do a lot of the demo rides for BT at the Miami show. What are they sending down this year? Unfortunately, I will not be able to attend Miami, but will hit the LA show (no BT here). Have you heard anything from the factory on the IMCO or the B-Max standing up? Tom R. and Bob J. were telling me that both the IMCO and B-Max held up behind some KE675's (twin and triple set-up). Why would you go with the B-Max if you were to order new?

Thanks again.
Old 01-22-2003, 12:49 AM
Charter Member #1093
Charter Member

Hi Boomer,

I'm not certain which boat they'll send to Miami this year. More than likely a 46', extended cockpit with twin 525 EFI's. She makes a good demo boat as the cabin is the same throughout their Cruiser model range, but the cockpit fits more people in the extended version. Speed with 525's is in the 73-75 MPH range.

As to why I'd order B Max next go around: First the guy who makes them is a Friend of mine, Dean Claussen. Second the gears and shafts in the B Max are almost equivalent to #6 internals, yet don't require an external transmission. The IMCO SC Extreme is a good drive as well, I just know Dean and like doing business with Friends.

Jasman. The PSI drive is a fine system. Harry Schoell is an acquaintance from the late 60's who I used to compete against in closed course racing. He's a true genius in both design and application. Because a PSI system has yet to be installed on a Black Thunder, we would be somewhat guessing on X dimension etc. which would require some trial and error. I'd love the experimentation, but my better half would remove parts of me I wouldn't like removed if I spent anymore time than I already do messing with my boats

Take care,
Steve
Old 01-22-2003, 08:29 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

43Thunder... what horsepower are you running to hit the estimated speeds you outlined? Is this a twin or triple set-up? What year is the boat? Stepped version?

The boat is a 1998 stepped version with twin Cobra 750's
Old 01-22-2003, 01:08 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Jassman...

The only BT with surface drives that I know of is the Turbinator (turbine power). I am not sure who rigged the boat or which surface drives are used.
Old 01-29-2003, 03:56 PM
Registered

I'm running IMCO extreme SC's, 1.36 gears, behind 700 Chiefs. Too early to tell on durability as it's a new boat. I like the IMCO over the B-Max because of the $$$ and the ease of repair.
Old 02-01-2003, 06:23 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks Steve, and Boomer. I was just curious about the surface drives. I know what you mean on guessing on x-dim. I went through that with my 37Avh and The Imco extreme s/c, I went 2" higher, threw a 1" spacer, added Herings, and 20 hrs later have it finally dialed in perfect. Harry, to me is a genius, the bottom that is under the 37 is pure magic, what a great rough water ride, and soft re-entry. My next boat, 4300-Nor-tech, 46 Black Thunder or the new 44 A.T. , I will probably go with a Pulse drives.. Harry is working on the first Pulse drive on the 37AVH with Pat, should be ready late spring early summer. Steve, I will stop by the B.T. booth at the Miami show, I'd like to meet you, Take care guys. Jeff
Old 02-01-2003, 11:16 PM
Charter Member #1093
Charter Member

Hi Jeff,

The BT demo boat will be located at Sundays on Key Biscayne this year. This will facilitate easier demo rides without the long idle area required of the in water location of the show. The guys in the Black Thunder booth at the convention center will give you driving directions. I'll be doing the demos on Saturday and Sunday. Look forward to meeting you. If you have any difficulties finding us, please call my cell at 954-980-2643.

Thanks Jeff,

Steve

Quick Reply: Bravo Drive Breakage on BT

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.