Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Boating Safety
Do you always wear your kill switch lanyard? >

Do you always wear your kill switch lanyard?

Notices
View Poll Results: Do you wear your kill switch lanyard
All the time
43.17%
Some of the time
37.46%
Never
19.37%
Voters: 315. You may not vote on this poll

Do you always wear your kill switch lanyard?

Old 09-28-2006, 11:12 AM
Drive to arrive alive!!!
Platinum Member

Received 397 Likes on 124 Posts
Default Re: Do you always wear your kill switch lanyard?

Originally Posted by Tantrum
I wear mine most of the time. Im close to "all the time" but dont want exagerate because I can think of 1 or 2 times I didnt.
Me too. I have also forgotten that I was wearing it and pulled it off and went through a big bunch of chit until I figured out why it wouldn't start
Old 09-28-2006, 02:36 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We get "The Look" when we are out with our PFD's on. Doesn't matter to us. I've been thrown into the water before both with and without floatation. Here's something for everyone to try just to make a point that will stay with you. Jump into the water without a PFD and then have someone throw one in to you. Now try to put that thing on in the water. You'll find it is next to impossible to get on correctly. Now, take it a step further. Imagine you've just been pitched from the boat at speed. Chances are you are badly hurt at best - ribs broke, head injury, generally barely conscious if you are lucky. Now try and image trying to get that PFD on. It's going to be impossible.

The kill lanyard is another thought provoker. When we first purchased our boat, I wore the lanyard. Problem was that the place it was located caused the cords to tangle in the steering wheel. NOT GOOD! I thought about it and went down to Home Depot and purchased a couple of items - some velcro straps and a steel D ring. I sewed the D ring onto the velcro strap and snapped the lanyard clips into the D ring. As soon as we are about to be above wake speed, I loop the velcro strap around my ankle and secure it. This keeps the lanyard cords out the way of the wheel but still provides the kill capability. Simple fix and much safer. Oh yeah, don't forget to check and make sure those lanyards actually KILL the engines.

My wife is EXTREMELY easy on the eyes (just check the avitar). Her bikini's aways cause second looks by most everyone. Still, she is just as A--L as I am about PFD's. Sure, it detracts from the "view". But there's plenty of time for that once we stop somewhere. Besides - at 60mph or more you can't see a whole lot anyway.
Old 09-29-2006, 08:52 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

I usually clip mine to the bottom of my board shorts at the leg openning. It keeps the lanyard away from the steering wheel, and if I step away from the helm when idling; I get a tug on my shorts before I actually pull the pin and kill the motors.
Old 09-29-2006, 09:14 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Revd Up
Getting better about wearing mine almost all the time. Life jacket too. Always when running hard . When you hear of other peoples misfortunes, we all need to be more safety concience. This summer I was in a poker run and My boat was the only ones wearing PFD's. It was the fastest . Had a guy come up and ask if we were planning on going skiing
Same thing here. We were in our club poker run once, there were 60+boats running, and only us and one other boat had the PFD's on. I make it clear before we leave the dock that the PFD's are not optional, wear it, or stay on the dock. I have more trouble with Deb than anyone to wear it.
Old 09-30-2006, 11:20 PM
Are we having fun, yet?
Charter Member

I too, have been guilty of not wearing the lanyards as often as I should. I have been better about it this season. I also bought a pair of auto inflating life jackets for Carol and I. They are very comfortable and not as hot as I thought they would be.
Good thread!!! With the bad press performance boaters get, we need to be as safe as possible and responsible boaters. .02 worth
Old 10-01-2006, 06:40 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Always It's a Safety thing,
Old 10-01-2006, 01:28 PM

Hi from Ireland where I am the National Motorboat Trainer.

Here is a link to an article about Kill Cords that I wrote for Powerboating Beginners on my own Irish Powerboat Website www.powerboat.ie .

The article is called "Kill Cords Save Lives !"

It also includes a few helpful tips on how to wear one properly !

Kind regards,

Stuart
Stuart McNamara
National Motorboat Trainer
Ireland

Last edited by powerboat.org; 10-01-2006 at 01:42 PM.
Old 10-01-2006, 03:00 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

on little put-puts with the family?..no.
while running hard/testing/over 1500rpm?..ABSOLUTELY!
Old 10-01-2006, 10:55 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Always I have them on a D-ring that I put through the lower snaps of my life vest(that I also always wear)
Old 10-02-2006, 09:33 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Always wear it until I am docking and have to move around the boat.

Quick Reply: Do you always wear your kill switch lanyard?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.