Notices

Stepped Hulls

Old 06-07-2007, 03:30 PM
NoQuarter

Default Stepped Hulls

I understand that stepped hulls can 'slide-out' easier than regular V hulls, but is there anything else to watch out for?

Does anyone know of a good thread that discusses operating a Step Hull. My next boat will most likely have a single step.

Old 06-07-2007, 03:58 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine's only gave a little "scare" once, but that was at a very slow speed. Had to make an evasive manuever due to a jet skiier. I can't speak for other boats, but I've noticed that my boat is a completely different beast at different speeds. Around 71 or so, it starts riding on that pad and goes into chine walk right at 80. Below 45 or so, it starts behaving like a fat pig, sluggish and such. All boats do behave differently at different speeds, but I've noticed that my Fountain (single step) makes pronounced changes at particular speeds.
Old 06-07-2007, 04:12 PM
BRAD SCHOENWALD
Platinum Member

Default Boat School

Start here http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...d.php?t=154652

and then go here www.performanceboatschool.com
Old 06-07-2007, 08:22 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

i'm not sure, but i think the trim techniques in turns are different, steps trim out, conventionally trim under, i think it does something to the way a stepped hull re-enters the water, breaking the air pocket...we had an active thunder barrel-roll in our harbor two years ago..he turned too quickly, the boat hadn't settled down....
Old 06-07-2007, 09:37 PM
Registered

The main difference is on a traditional V you trim it out positive to get the boat out of the water and trim in negative for turns to bring the bow down
With a stepped hull most of the time you are running at neutral trim which is when the drives are parallel to the imaginary line from the start of the first step to the transom.If you run a stepped hull with the drives in negative you are actually lifting the back of the boat up. This would allow the boat to pivot on the center of gravity in a turn.They will sometimes hop hard a couple of times before they come around but not always
I was fortunate enough to spend some time with a guy who raced for years you need to understand theory of how a hull works and then adjust to it .I hear Tres school is excellent

AND WERE YOUR KILL SWITCHES
Old 06-08-2007, 07:20 AM
AKA NoMoBoatin
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Call Brad or Tres and do the school.You won't be dissapointed.It is worth the cost of the school.I did it and still look at my notes I took in he's class.DON'T LEARN BY ACCIDENT.
Old 06-08-2007, 08:17 AM
NoQuarter

Thanks everybody. The Tres school sounds like the way to go.