LOTO Boat Accident >

LOTO Boat Accident

Notices

LOTO Boat Accident

Old 07-23-2007, 10:21 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LOTO Boat Accident

Saw the aftermath of this insanity on Saturday evening. My dad was behind me in his 35 Lightning- Baja shot right in front of him at 60++ mph, hit dock and all h_ll broke loose. He jumped off his boat onto the dock that got smashed and shut the Baja off (still running WFO at a 45 degree angle in the cabin of the cruiser it hit), expecting to find a bunch of mangled bodies. Very, very lucky, these people were:

http://www.lakesunleader.com/article...23/news/01.txt

Plucked out of water by another boat. We were trolling around the shoreline expecting to find them floating face down in the water when my dad didn't find them.

Saturday was the roughest I have seen it all season. Fast boats are cool. So are kill switches when you are running WFO (maybe I'll start using mine . . . .).
Attached Thumbnails LOTO Boat Accident-photo_072107_001.jpg  

Last edited by SeaWeasel; 07-23-2007 at 10:21 AM. Reason: I can't seem to spell korektly
Old 07-23-2007, 01:23 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

jesus.. wfo into a damn dock.. what the hell! Damn luck to not have killed anyone. After all the hubub about kill switches on here, i never hammerdown without having mine on.
Old 07-23-2007, 02:49 PM
Registered

If I do happen to forget mine, my wife is always happy to remind me!

It is just dumb that these things happen due to laziness or the need to be "cool" or whatever. Someday, people will get the picture.
Old 07-24-2007, 08:15 AM
Registered

So how many is that this year, that kill switches could have prevented?

I've gotten into the habit of wearing mine, now. It's just like a seatbelt, it just doesn't feel right driving without having it on.
Old 07-24-2007, 08:22 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

After reading the article and all the on-water mishaps from just that one weekend, I won't be the least bit surprised when they place a 10hp limit on that lake.

LAKE OF THE OZARKS ' Missouri Water Patrol officers say it's nothing short of amazing when an unmanned 30-foot Baja didn't leave a wake of death and destruction after the driver was thrown overboard and the boat continued without anyone at the wheel.

Officers estimate the boat was racing at about 70 mph and traveled at least one quarter of a mile without anyone on board after it hit a series of wakes that rocked it sideways and threw the driver and three passengers overboard.

The boat continued to travel downstream into a cove where it struck a ramped walkway and T-boned a cruiser moored at a community dock after skating over a rock reef.

The force of the impact twisted the dock and cause it to break loose and spin around about 180 degrees with eight-10 boats still moored in their slip. The Baja ended up nearly halfway through the cruiser. Damage to the cruiser, the Baja and the dock was extensive, but no one in the path of the boat was injured.

Officers said the Baja literally slammed into the cruiser. The driver and all three passengers were rescued from the water by another boater.

The driver of the boat was listed as William Schumacher, 33, of De Pere, Wis. He was taken to Lake Regional Hospital with a serious laceration to his right leg. Passenger Amber Schumacher, 33, also of De Pere, was admitted to Lake Regional with a compression fracture of the spine. According to the report, the two other passengers were not injured.

Water patrol Lt. Nick Humphrey said it was amazing that no one was hit by the boat after the driver fell out.

The accident was reported around 8:30 p.m., Saturday. The dock is owned by Blackhawk Estates, the development is located off Horseshoe Bend Parkway at the 14 mile-marker.

Overall, it was a busy weekend that got off to an early start Friday when officers were called to the 60 mile-maker where a boater had been thrown overboard while heading across the water when a seat bracket broke. The man was rescued by a witness to the incident. The report did not say who stopped the boat that was circling the man.

Later that same day, officers responded to a collision where two personal water craft collided when one operator made a turn and was hit by another who was traveling too close.

Three men near the 45 mile-marker were injured over the weekend after a spark triggered an explosion of the jet boat they were trying to start. According to officers, the occupants were using a screwdriver to try to turn over the engine, which caused a spark to ignite the engine compartment.

According to the report, all three men voluntarily jumped overboard. One was taken to Lake Regional Hospital and two other men were flown to University Hospital in Columbia, Mo., for treatment. All three of the injuries were listed as serious.
Old 08-21-2007, 09:11 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by runninhotracing158
Food for thought- a 150pnd person traveling at 100mph has an instantaneous force of 729,998 foot pounds of force. Which means you will go through a reinforced concrete wall. But in a boat you don’t stop instantaneously- you bounce and skip and hit things until the 729,998 pounds of force has been dissipated on whatever- like shavings on file. That’s why they often can not find the body of people who go after world record speed (300mph +) runs in a boat.

Not force, energy. And I came up with 50,240 ft lbs or 18.9 watt - hours. E = .5*m*v^2. M = 68.182 kg, v = 44.7 m/s... so 68116.89 kg m^2 /s^2 (N m) or 50,240 lbs force ft (ft lbs energy). +/- roundoff error

If a person is traveling at a constant speed there is no net force, instantaneous or otherwise. And unless you define "concrete wall" with a breaking strength or a capacity to absorb energy, you can't determine if the person (corpse) will go through it or not.
Old 08-21-2007, 12:46 PM
Registered

Good point, not much of the airplanes that hit the world trade centers came out.
Old 08-22-2007, 08:17 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by runninhotracing158
RE-do your math , maybe not your name (sleeper ) sayz it all
Hmm... who's right, the guy talking about "instantaneous force" of a body in motion without mentioning any acceleration, or the guy with an engineering degree, an equation, units, a complete calculation with a conversion, and even handy-dandy internet site to back him up (within a reasonable amount of error)...

http://www.1728.com/energy.htm says 50,144, I said 50,240 based on rounding off lbs in kilograms (since lbs is not really a mass but a measurement of force, in this case the force of gravity acting on a mass). .2% roundoff error isn't bad at all.
Old 08-22-2007, 10:50 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by sleeper_dave
Hmm... who's right, the guy talking about "instantaneous force" of a body in motion without mentioning any acceleration, or the guy with an engineering degree, an equation, units, a complete calculation with a conversion, and even handy-dandy internet site to back him up (within a reasonable amount of error)...

http://www.1728.com/energy.htm says 50,144, I said 50,240 based on rounding off lbs in kilograms (since lbs is not really a mass but a measurement of force, in this case the force of gravity acting on a mass). .2% roundoff error isn't bad at all.
WAY too much time on both of your hands!!

Let me try to sum it up for the simple people.(like ME)

DEAD = DEAD
Old 08-22-2007, 07:23 PM

Amen...

Quick Reply: LOTO Boat Accident

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.