Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Boating Safety
What happened or caused the Sunsation to have an issue Friday in Destin? >

What happened or caused the Sunsation to have an issue Friday in Destin?

Notices

What happened or caused the Sunsation to have an issue Friday in Destin?

Old 08-27-2007, 10:54 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ZP'd
It was a 288 involved.

Speedy recovery to all those on-board!
It was not a 288, it is a 32 Dom. And they were not ejected or recovered from the water. John, best wishes brother.
Old 08-27-2007, 11:28 AM
Registered

Default A Local opinion

The pass IS one of the more dangerous in the world. What causes this is it is relatively narrow, has varing depths, is somewhat "S" shaped and the current/sea/wind conditions at the time. It is known by the locals for irregular wave patterns/sets with varing heights. BUT, any prudent skipper would not be running at much more speed than that required for plane/sea conditions within the pass. One would wait until clearing the pass and into the Gulf before running up for the video from the 'copter. To run like that in the pass (with all the other boat traffic) is pure DUMB, and irrisponsible! I'm sorry for the injuries, but it was sheer stupidity. The other poster was correct, the skipper is responsible for the safe operation of his vessel.

Last edited by AquaVette; 08-27-2007 at 12:42 PM.
Old 08-27-2007, 11:32 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by marylandmark
Vigil, of Vigil, was cited for violating a navigational rule: operating at an unsafe speed. But he said he would fight the charge because he was participating in an organized event, not boating recklessly on his own.

What a crock! The Captain has the responsibility to operate the boat within it's limits and a safe manner at all times.
Well said. I'm imagine the helicopter was there for a photo shoot and not auditions for the water version of The Dukes of Hazard. Hope everyone has a speedy recovery.
Old 08-27-2007, 02:57 PM
Rough Seas Lie Ahead
Gold Member

That boat was simply over-trimmed and deliberately driven loose (tabs up, drive up) trying for what "appears like" an impressive running shot from the helicopter. Classic "I wanna good shot" mistake. Those boats are very well-balanced (in the design when operated properly) unless intentionally going too fast, and too loose. I routinely run hard in conditions far worse than that, and the only time I'll get mine that loose (read sloppy) is when I'm intentionally out of the envelope trying to get air. Normally that's with a helo, camera & video man alongside. Driver flat screwed the pooch trying too hard. You could see from the acceleration at the beginning he was on a mission. In addition he might've even come off the throttles mis-timed the last two pops causing a sort of a decelerating side-stuff scenario ripping the windshiled.

That's "my" initial take anyway. To really know I guess, you had to be the guy driving.

Last edited by Reckless32; 08-27-2007 at 03:02 PM.
Old 08-27-2007, 03:32 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts

We shot the FPC video about 20 minutes after the accident. The water was much bigger when we went vs. what you saw on the video. To me it looks like design and driver error put together. That stuff didn’t look right to me. A friend of mind in his 32 AT flew the boat nose up on a lot bigger wave, tripped it, and it didn’t stuff. The East Pass is not that bad in my opinion.

I pray that everyone is doing well!

Last edited by crb76; 08-27-2007 at 03:38 PM.
Old 08-27-2007, 04:07 PM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by crb76
We shot the FPC video about 20 minutes after the accident. The water was much bigger when we went vs. what you saw on the video. To me it looks like design and driver error put together. That stuff didn’t look right to me. A friend of mind in his 32 AT flew the boat nose up on a lot bigger wave, tripped it, and it didn’t stuff. The East Pass is not that bad in my opinion.

I pray that everyone is doing well!
I have quite a bit of air time in a 32 Dominator at LOTO. It is not a design issue. The picture of Joe S. flying the old Poker Runs America 32 Dominator offshore is a testament to how level the boat flys when properly operated.
Old 08-27-2007, 04:08 PM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CigDaze
I just watched the video like 10 times. He's trimmed fine, that boat just won't fly level. The stern tends to drop like rock, it's a balance issue.

Nick,

I respect your opinion but it looks to me like he is over trimed. I keep the drives straight up and down when running in those conditions and he definately has positive trim. I cannot tell for sure where the tabs are but would bet they are up.

You are right that it looks to be very stern heavy which is common on a shorter twin engine boat.

What concerns me is it looks like the anchor came out of the anchor locker. At least the door opened and it looks like the anchor rode flying up and behind them. That is one reason I don't like an anchor locker on the bow and I'm glad they did not put one in my 36 Outlaw.

That could explain some injuries and also the windshield damage.

I hate to see that happen to anyone and sure hope they all have a speedy recovery and get back on the horse again.

Dock
Old 08-27-2007, 04:55 PM
Registered

DESIGN? John is a friend of ours and Sunsations are VERY WELL built boats. I am not barking at anyone, just letting it be known that just about EVERY boat has had some type of accident, not limited to Sunsations. Please respect the builder and driver, ALL of us who drive powerboats have walked away from something that could have turned out the same as this and we look back and see how lucky we were. Active Thunder is a great boat as well, but it does not come with a no accident clause...Best wishes John,,,,,
Old 08-27-2007, 05:07 PM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

I have met John at a few poker runs in the past and he is a cool guy that anyone would want to hang out with. He had an unfortunate accident and happened to have it occur on video for all to critique. It sucks that people got hurt and we all wish them a speedy recovery.

I happen to have the same boat and it will fly level in the right conditions. I have felt the boat get loose in the past and was fortunate enough to correctly trim it before the next wave. The 32's never throw a huge rooster tail even when trimmed to the moon. The newer SS's are now available with ITS so they will throw a decent tail. The older boats also had Bennett tabs (small) and K Planes were not standard until 2005 I believe. As a testament to the boat, the only damage was to the windshield from having bodies thrown into it and the anchor locker door was tweaked.

If everyone saw their worst day in boating on video they might have less to comment!
Old 08-27-2007, 05:09 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Mykalvballer
DESIGN? John is a friend of ours and Sunsations are VERY WELL built boats. I am not barking at anyone, just letting it be known that just about EVERY boat has had some type of accident, not limited to Sunsations. Please respect the builder and driver, ALL of us who drive powerboats have walked away from something that could have turned out the same as this and we look back and see how lucky we were. Active Thunder is a great boat as well, but it does not come with a no accident clause...Best wishes John,,,,,
Good post. I drove a 32 Dom. for several years and it saved my azz from a couple of stupid driver errors. Excellent well built boat with good handling qualitites. No matter what boat you drive, Cig,AT, Fountain, there have been accidents reported here on OSO that could have been driver or boat. We all get into situations that we don't anticipate. All have their good points and issues. I wish them well with their recovery.

Quick Reply: What happened or caused the Sunsation to have an issue Friday in Destin?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.