Head On Pass - Freaked Out >

Head On Pass - Freaked Out

Notices

Head On Pass - Freaked Out

Old 04-10-2008, 03:43 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael1
It's funny no one mentioned using your horn. According to California Boating Law, either boat should signal their intention to go starboard with one short blast, with the other doing the same as confirmation.
Michael
Yeah, and they should have rung their bell too, which is required on any boat larger than 26' in Havi... I just tilt up my middle engine to make one hellufa splash and aim stright for them, normally gets the job done and the message out... As for the initial post, be glad you did what you did and keep on doing in. A little paint on a drive is a lot better than a head on - any day!
Old 04-10-2008, 07:39 AM
Registered

As most have said....

1) slow down! especially in a dangersous area like that turn

2) exagerate your turn so that they know which way you are going

Just know that they are confused and bordering on panic. Turn to the starboard (right), and let them know which way you are going. They will avoid you.
Old 04-16-2008, 04:30 PM
yss
Registered

Originally Posted by Clay Washington
As most have said....

1) slow down! especially in a dangersous area like that turn

2) exagerate your turn so that they know which way you are going

Just know that they are confused and bordering on panic. Turn to the starboard (right), and let them know which way you are going. They will avoid you.

3)...And make sure the Claymates are hangin on tight!
What's crazy is that the other guy probably thought it was cool to pass so close by.
Glad you didn't have an incident.
Old 04-20-2008, 09:31 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by BajaFresh
Was the other boat a DCB?

When I encounter someone that I can't figure out what the heck they are doing I usually just come to a stop and wait to see where they go. I keep it in gear with my hand on the sticks in case I have to take immediate evasive action. I seem to be doing this more often these days. I'm even strating to back off when over taking boats from the rear and they are swerving left and right. This happens a lot on The River, boats going slower and swerving and boats coming at you at the same time. I now slow down to let the oncoming boats pass, then try to get past the swerving boat as quick as possible. Or, i just avoid Havasu and The River all together!
I've been using the "come to a complete halt" maneuver for many years,
especially with problem jet skis. One reason I like the method is that if
anything should happen, the vehicle that is not under way will never be found "at fault" (assuming you are on the correct side of the traffic pattern).

Pesky Varmint
Old 04-21-2008, 01:53 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Michael1
It's funny no one mentioned using your horn. According to California Boating Law, either boat should signal their intention to go starboard with one short blast, with the other doing the same as confirmation.
Michael
Good point Michael1. An acquaintance of mine was involved in a fatality accident on the lake (Havasu) last year. Him and another boat were heading towards each other so he veered right (starboard).The other guy veered left. Problem was, the guy I know was going over 90 (and drinking apparently), and I don't know how fast the other guys was going. Well, he turned hard in his boat and it rolled, causing a death to one of his passengers. The other boat took off apparently. I have run into this scenario at least two or three times. I usually will just cut power and stop if there is enough room and let them go around. Most everybody knows to turn right , but you cannot tell if the other person will panic, or has been drinking,or what. Mike
Old 04-25-2008, 12:04 PM
Registered

I think that boating is a little bit like riding a motocycle. The operator tends to steer in the direction they are looking. It is a typical error made by many a motorcyclist. Proper training will teach you to look in the direction you want to travel not at the object you want to avoid. When there is alcohol involved it compounds the situation. Keep in mind that the person behind the wheel of that boat coming at you head my not be as well educated as you are. Glad you were able to avoid a collision with him, the next guy may not be so lucky!

Last edited by fastlane27; 04-25-2008 at 12:05 PM. Reason: mis spelled word
Old 05-12-2008, 03:43 AM
Registered

I am a friend of Michael Garibay and saw this post. Just a little update.I found out that the guy who flip his boat killing a passenger is going too prison for man slaughter. Drinking and driving definatly not a good idea. I also think I saw the aftermath on the reality show havasuheat( I think thats what its called)