Notices

lights

Old 07-06-2009, 05:49 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by offthefront
Man I would Definately fix that!!!! put an Anchor light on rear port side .... At Nite I kill the dash lites too ..... I have red lamps in the dash but kill them anyway .... a dimmer is on the list ......m
Iam not sure if it is a factory install, but why on earth would it be mounted there? What sucks is if I remove it then iam going to have 3 screw holes I need to fill and what not now!
Old 07-07-2009, 05:43 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by crapr6
Iam not sure if it is a factory install, but why on earth would it be mounted there? What sucks is if I remove it then iam going to have 3 screw holes I need to fill and what not now!
Im sure its factory, as for the question as to why??? I think its because you never used to have to run the 360 all the time. Now i believe you have to.. but I'm not sure. It sure is a sh*ty location though
Old 07-07-2009, 07:41 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by prostock85
Im sure its factory, as for the question as to why??? I think its because you never used to have to run the 360 all the time. Now i believe you have to.. but I'm not sure. It sure is a sh*ty location though
That makes sense. Well since Iam really never out at night (just this past weekend for the fireworks) I will wait until winter to relocate the anchor light and fill the holes.
erik
Old 09-12-2009, 10:58 PM
Registered

I was at Smith Mountain Lake in VA and with a house on the water, you run out of daylight quickly without even thinking. The anchor light is also right in front of me so it makes it hard to see anything at a distance. I came up with an idea though... it is already in existence but no one sells it; lighted rub rails. a simple rope light running through the middle of a rub rail. it gives 360 light so a boat can see the length and width of the boat and you can see the water around you. I want to make this a reality but for now... its just in my head.
Old 09-13-2009, 01:10 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by FandRRacing
I was at Smith Mountain Lake in VA and with a house on the water, you run out of daylight quickly without even thinking. The anchor light is also right in front of me so it makes it hard to see anything at a distance. I came up with an idea though... it is already in existence but no one sells it; lighted rub rails. a simple rope light running through the middle of a rub rail. it gives 360 light so a boat can see the length and width of the boat and you can see the water around you. I want to make this a reality but for now... its just in my head.
That does not meet USCG standards for a 360* light. It has to be above the highest point on the boat.
Old 09-14-2009, 03:08 PM
Registered

Has anyone ever tried one of the LED anchor lights. They advertise them as "low glare". It seems to make sense to me as LED's typically produce a narrow, more direct beam of light. If the pole was higher than my eye level it should be less direct and less blinding. I might have to buy one and give it a shot.

Last edited by brwn234; 09-14-2009 at 03:31 PM.
Old 09-14-2009, 08:52 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

I have used one and it does give off less glare.
Old 09-14-2009, 09:18 PM
Registered

I run one and I have no problem with it. Most every weekend we come in after dark. Key is to have the anchor/stern light high enough. I found close to same height with me standing driving works well. I also installed one small LED shooting across side to side on swim platform to aid in boarding. Added one LED cluster under center edge of couch pointing forward. This floods to cockpit floor with soft light. Works very well.
Don't use the docking lights when running. When a boat is coming at you it will be difficult for them to tell if you are breaking right or left. The way bow lights are designed, little movement to port or starboard and you will only see one light (green or red) thus letting me know which way you are altering course. Remember when meeting a boat head on, day or night, everyone turns right. "Right Is Right".
5 young people died here last year because of head on collision in daylight when their boat mirrored the turn of the larger boat in a curve.
Old 10-19-2009, 04:43 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have only been out twice at night.on time idling thru the channel back to the launch no big deal. The second time on plane running 30 mph in Lake Michigan about a half mile out full moon two moerons ANCHORED NO F"IN LIGHTS ON if i did NOT have my DOCKING lights on i know i would not be typing this right now!!! I have not night boated since!
Old 11-14-2009, 05:13 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Talking

my dock lights want even light up a reflector on my slip with in 10 foot,there a joke.

Sometime ill hit them when I see a boat headed towards me to help them see me. I'm thinking I can find a bulb with a clear lense.it looks like a 4inch.The sail boat are bad about no lights ,Ya can see the sail when ya buz them.they still want turn them on

Rob
Attached Thumbnails lights-boat-paint-8-26-09-142-large-.jpg  

Quick Reply: lights

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.