Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Boating Safety
How many wear life jackets on the water???? >

How many wear life jackets on the water????

Notices

How many wear life jackets on the water????

Old 08-14-2008, 10:17 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 30ctsutphen
IN CT its mandatory to wear them for Kids.

I am mainly a jetskier turned boater and I always had to wear mine on the ski. I am so used to it I feel unsafe without it now.

Many times I wear mine on the trip across the sound and people on the boat think I am nuts.

I don't care I do my own thing It doesn't bother me.

I am not a super strong swimmer but not real bad either.

If I was tossed out at 50+ MPH in the middle of the L.I. Sound I would highly doubt I could make the swim back even if I got lucky and was not wounded in some way.

How many of you wear them on your local trip across where ever you boat?

How many really believe you could make the swim back if you had to swim it?(Honestly)

You never see a race team not wearing them so why don't we wear them?
Lifelines and kill switch every time we're in the boat. Trust me you just never know. Better to be safe than sorry.

Last edited by OL40SVX; 08-15-2008 at 10:14 AM.
Old 08-15-2008, 07:08 AM
the Flightmaster
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I boat most of the time on the Rhein, which is a busy river. But, I´ve stopped making exceptions even when boating on apparently less challenging water, because it is way easier to keep a routine and positively influence others, thereby raise your own passive safety levels. My boat might master a freak wave that catches me off guard somewhere, but I don´t fancy being hit by a runaway 15 footer that didn´t handle the chop so well, either!

My recommendation, by the way, is to get (at least) 150N automatic PFD´s similar to those used by the yachties. Choose ones with a normal buckle (like a seat belt) and not the ones with a metal clasp (designed to attach a lifeline, which is the last thing you want at 70 mph).
The buckle is easier for a greenhorn to understand und use.

The automatic vests just don´t get in the way (even of your tan) and after a short while you feel uncomfortable on the move without one.

Race jackets will protect your ribs better, off course, but because they are bigger and cover alot more, you are more likely to end up thinking about not using them....until it is too late.

The ones I have are dark blue, but once inflated flip out to become bright yellow.
On every one of them I have attached a billet ring, where the lanyard hook in, so anyone who gets a stint at te wheel, knows where to hook in.

The fiddly lil´clasp on the lanyard, I´ve also replaced with a chunky billet one that is far easier to hook in, and out of, when you have to move around back at the dock.
Old 08-15-2008, 09:34 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My brother wears an inflatable, I just wear a regular Ski type jacket pretty thin and IMO fairly comfortable, but I am used to wearing one on the jetski so its different I guess
Old 08-15-2008, 11:22 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I've got to be honest, but I have never worn mine for anything other then a poker run. I don't think that I get too crazy when I am out there, so I guess I don't ever feel like I am in danger (but I always wear my lanyard).
Old 08-15-2008, 12:29 PM
the Flightmaster
Platinum Member

Yet another example.

He could have easily become an orphan.

17 footer, and they weren´t taking any risks with the youngster on board - they thought!

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...d.php?t=193279
Old 08-15-2008, 12:42 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Big Time
I've got to be honest, but I have never worn mine for anything other then a poker run. I don't think that I get too crazy when I am out there, so I guess I don't ever feel like I am in danger (but I always wear my lanyard).
Same here.
Old 08-15-2008, 12:53 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by fountain40icbm
Lifelines and kill switch every time we're in the boat. Trust me you just never know. Better to be safe than sorry.
Couldnt agree more!!!

Jackets and lanyards are on drivers and passengers before we leave the dock.
Old 08-15-2008, 05:21 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MahopacMarine
Couldnt agree more!!!

Jackets and lanyards are on drivers and passengers before we leave the dock.

same here if im out and on plane with the Cig. I dont wear them out on the poontoon though. If I fell overboard, I could swim and catch up with the boat and get back on !!
Old 08-15-2008, 06:30 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fountain40icbm
Too true.....
Old 08-16-2008, 10:46 AM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Never wore a lifejacket unless in the raceboats. Most of the time even testing them never wore a lifejacket. Lanyards, only when racing and never in our pleasure boats.

In our center console (28 knot cruise) I fish up to 112 miles out, never wore a lifejacket, not once in 40 years of fishing on any boat in any weather. My father never made me wear one so it stuck with me that I didn't need to. Only person on the boat that wears a lifejacket today is my 4 year old, the 10 and 13 year olds don't. I know that's wrong by most but I refuse to wear seat belts as well, but I do make the kids buckle up.

But, I don't think your crazy for doing it, I know I'm reckless in that respect and someday I might get bitten. My wife thinks I'm crazy and she'll be a widow someday. Old habits are tough to break!

Quick Reply: How many wear life jackets on the water????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.