Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Boating Safety
How many wear life jackets on the water???? >

How many wear life jackets on the water????

Notices

How many wear life jackets on the water????

Old 08-14-2008, 12:34 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How many wear life jackets on the water????

IN CT its mandatory to wear them for Kids.

I am mainly a jetskier turned boater and I always had to wear mine on the ski. I am so used to it I feel unsafe without it now.

Many times I wear mine on the trip across the sound and people on the boat think I am nuts.

I don't care I do my own thing It doesn't bother me.

I am not a super strong swimmer but not real bad either.

If I was tossed out at 50+ MPH in the middle of the L.I. Sound I would highly doubt I could make the swim back even if I got lucky and was not wounded in some way.

How many of you wear them on your local trip across where ever you boat?

How many really believe you could make the swim back if you had to swim it?(Honestly)

You never see a race team not wearing them so why don't we wear them?
Old 08-14-2008, 12:42 AM
Registered

Default 30 Ct

Did you just buy a trailer for your 20 footer?
Old 08-14-2008, 08:38 AM
Registered

Nope I just traded my 20Footer for a 26 rum runner.
Why do you ask?

The new owner ay have bought one though. The one under it worked well but wasn't to pretty.
Old 08-14-2008, 09:00 AM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

I'm glad you wear it, would never critize anyone wearing them and would actually say something to some who did poke fun at anyone who wore one.
but I never do......if I'm running in the rough, making speed passes, or well away from shore (we boat on rivers mostly) then I always have the kill switch on. If the water gets over 4's I'll usually pull the throw cushion out and leave it on the cockpit floor in case it's needed quickly. We did get into some 4-5's once and a pulled out my wife's jacket and asked her if she wanted to wear it.....she didn't but left it out just in case.
Old 08-14-2008, 10:19 AM
the Flightmaster
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make it easy, and put PFDīs on everyone who gets into the boat.

Immediately they know that this isnīt Playstation and start to think a little more responsibly. Always put on the lanyard, at the very latest as you cruise out of the marina. That makes most passenger pay attention, too. It all helps to make a run into an something to remember - for the right reasons.

I canīt believe that there are still people put on vests and hook in lanyards - when they think their boating might get dangerous.

Iīve read on this forum so many stories of "fun" turning into death or injury (because the people thought they were well within their limits, I take it) and know personally of two examples of boats (up to date factory go fasts) ending up as total wrecks just because of the lanyards didnīt or couldnīt do their job.

Insurance companies love that one!

Imagine the the effect it has on you waking up in the water with a couple of broken ribs and some bruises,lying the right way up in your now inflated automatic vest....and your boat is a very reachable 50 feet away from you with the motors cut, and within minutes all of your crew are safely, if however injured on board.

The day is screwed, for sure, but within a week everything is back to normal.

Not the case, if your boat ends up 50 feet up a breakwater, motors still screaming, and people are fighting for their lives in the water (and this is the best version).
Old 08-14-2008, 03:08 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 30ctsutphen
Nope I just traded my 20Footer for a 26 rum runner.
Why do you ask?

The new owner ay have bought one though. The one under it worked well but wasn't to pretty.
Just sold one to a guy in CT named Dean? Owens a car dealer I think. Just courios.
Old 08-14-2008, 09:55 PM
Registered

Thats my old sutphen.

I knew he'd buy a new trailer. so vane.
LOL

The old one was ugly but worked well.
I never cared about the trailer as long as I wasn't getting stuck with it.

I miss that old 20 it was so much fun.
and cheap as hell to run.

Maybe cost you 50, 60 bucks for the day.

Deans a good guy.
He owns motorcars inc.
Old 08-14-2008, 09:56 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Wild Card 09

Immediately they know that this isnīt Playstation and start to think a little more responsibly. Always put on the lanyard, at the very latest as you cruise out of the marina. That makes most passenger pay attention, too. It all helps to make a run into an something to remember - for the right reasons.

I canīt believe that there are still people put on vests and hook in lanyards - when they think their boating might get dangerous.

Iīve read on this forum so many stories of "fun" turning into death or injury (because the people thought they were well within their limits, I take it) and know personally of two examples of boats (up to date factory go fasts) ending up as total wrecks just because of the lanyards didnīt or couldnīt do their job.

Imagine the the effect it has on you waking up in the water with a couple of broken ribs and some bruises,lying the right way up in your now inflated automatic vest....and your boat is a very reachable 50 feet away from you with the motors cut, and within minutes all of your crew are safely, if however injured on board.

Not the case, if your boat ends up 50 feet up a breakwater, motors still screaming, and people are fighting for their lives in the water (and this is the best version).

Thats how smart I am I wear my life jacket when I get out of the river but I don't use a lanyard.
DOH.
I need to get that hooked up I guess.
Old 08-14-2008, 10:04 PM
Registered

Crossing the sound I wear mine occasionaly, but I make sure my daughters is on at all times.
Dont have a lanyard but this weekend one is going in for sure, heard to many storys about boats running away and leaving the driver in the water to drown.
Old 08-14-2008, 10:13 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

While your points are valid, I assume you boat in a fairly large body of water. Most of my boating in a river so narrow that I cannot turn around while on plane...most boats under about 22 feet can't. I'm also one of the biggest boats around, if I hit 2 foot waves off a 30 foot cruiser it's about the worst wakes we deal with. If I'm in open water, the rules are different and your points become more important.

Originally Posted by Wild Card 09

Quick Reply: How many wear life jackets on the water????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.