Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Boating Safety
Seating over capacity.... Rules??? >

Seating over capacity.... Rules???

Notices

Seating over capacity.... Rules???

Old 04-17-2009, 10:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
There is no leeway. Number of persons is number of persons-period; no matter how much a few of them weigh.

That said outboard boats normally have capacity plates, and are not often found on all I/O and Inboard boats. That said, you can easily get a ticket for "unsafe operation" if a law enforcement official sees that you are operation in a grossly unsafe manner, including overloading with no capacity plate. The most important thing is PFDs for everyone, and proper sized/spec'd for each person. You can't have 8 adult large PFDs on board, and be legal (or safe) with 4 adults and 4 toddlers on the boat. You need PFDs that are designated for each person's particulars.

I agree with the PDF's for children, they don't budge, stop at walmart and get the right one for the kid. (safer, and cheaper than ticket) As for capacity if they require a PFD that counts as a person, if you don't have a capacity plate they do have some leeway. (read that last sentance).

WILL
Old 04-17-2009, 12:28 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BAJA WILL
I agree with the PDF's for children, they don't budge, stop at walmart and get the right one for the kid. (safer, and cheaper than ticket) As for capacity if they require a PFD that counts as a person, if you don't have a capacity plate they do have some leeway. (read that last sentance).

WILL
Absolutely, PFDs for everyone, and the CORRECT size that fits them. Like I said safety first, I am not going to try and put and adult jacket on a child, or vice-versa and try to get away with it. It is just dumb and ignorant. Because if something does happen, well a child is slipping out of that kinda jacket. Not to mention, the little ones always wear a jacket at all times when on the boat (if in motion). Only exception is maybe when anchored at the local sandbar.
Old 05-06-2009, 10:51 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You guys just need a certified yacht sticker...no limit for me

However, anymore then 9 on mine and it just gets crowded.
Old 05-06-2009, 10:54 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Stefin298
You guys just need a certified yacht sticker...no limit for me

However, anymore then 9 on mine and it just gets crowded.
I have a certified yacht sticker right underneath the throttle. What does this do/mean?
Old 05-07-2009, 04:25 PM
Registered

Received 282 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by SmurfOnAGixxer
I have a certified yacht sticker right underneath the throttle. What does this do/mean?
Going out on a lim here. I once asked the same question to a mastercraft dealer as their 280X is "yacht certified" and there was no seating capacity plate. He said that means the boat can hold as many people as you can put on it. Could have been selling me a boat, but that ski boat had seating for 12 and had water ballast tank so maybe...........
Old 05-08-2009, 07:09 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

guys...
I had a 24' Condor...the math says 11.2 people...where the hell could you stuff 11 people and a few limbs in a 24X7?...let's be real: 2 in the bolsters and maybe 4 in the bench...even with only 6, the cabin is sure to be littered with pfd's and a throwable...of course if they were "little people"...???
common sense and safety!....'course that may lead to an empty boat...
Old 05-12-2009, 09:41 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

They don't make a boat big enough for two kids that don't belong to me! That is going to be a miserable trip for all. Good luck.
Old 05-13-2009, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by ChristianGott
guys...
I had a 24' Condor...the math says 11.2 people...where the hell could you stuff 11 people and a few limbs in a 24X7?...let's be real: 2 in the bolsters and maybe 4 in the bench...even with only 6, the cabin is sure to be littered with pfd's and a throwable...of course if they were "little people"...???
common sense and safety!....'course that may lead to an empty boat...
I put 12 in a 27 Fountain I had to but the guys in the cabin to plane off, and yes people were everywhere.