Question for San Diego Coast Guard >

Question for San Diego Coast Guard

Notices

Question for San Diego Coast Guard

Old 05-12-2009, 01:29 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question for San Diego Coast Guard

Can't get an answer on any of the listed phone numbers and system hangs up on you...

Is the Coast Guard able to receive DSC GPS Coordinates on 16 if the boater has the hardware installed correctly?
Old 05-12-2009, 06:05 PM
BRAD SCHOENWALD
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Short answer NO! This is an ongoing problem and bleeds over into why we are unable to recognize Sea areas 1 and 2.

You can find more info here:
http://www.uscg.mil/acquisition/rescue21/
Old 05-18-2009, 10:45 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by bcschoe
Short answer NO! This is an ongoing problem and bleeds over into why we are unable to recognize Sea areas 1 and 2.

You can find more info here:
http://www.uscg.mil/acquisition/rescue21/
Sux but thanks for answering. I can'tg figure out why this isn't a safety standard. There are countless ways that it would improve service calls. Skipper becomes unconscious etc.. It's just a way nice thing. Florida and New England States have had this for a few years now..
Old 05-19-2009, 10:11 PM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Emergency rescue

I would think a epirb would be your best bet. VHF radios sometimes transmit to santa barbara, sometimes not even to the boat next door. Traffic, chatter, interference. I think even a cell phone is more reliable. We seem to have good coverage inside the islands now.
Old 05-20-2009, 12:09 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by fossil fuel
I would think a epirb would be your best bet. VHF radios sometimes transmit to santa barbara, sometimes not even to the boat next door. Traffic, chatter, interference. I think even a cell phone is more reliable. We seem to have good coverage inside the islands now.
I here ya but an EPIRB is a bit extreme for what I was thinking. That's for if the boat is going down etc.

I'd like to check out your ride sometime. Trailer or do you have it in a marina??