Lots of Idiots Out There Part II >

Lots of Idiots Out There Part II

Notices

Lots of Idiots Out There Part II

Old 01-20-2010, 09:17 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Lots of Idiots Out There Part II

Here are some pics I took of some complete MORON out in Muskamoot Bay (Lake St. Clair, MI) last year. This moron costs thousands of dollars worth of damage to other boats because he panicked and tried to leave the bay in the middle of an incoming storm... Enjoy!!!

This is me (on the left) watching this idiot

He took up his anchor attempting to get started on his way home before the storm hit (it wasn't even that bad of a storm) WITHOUT STARTING HIS P.O.S. BOAT in high winds (30-40mph). He Missed my boat by about 4', but as you can see, that 60' Searay SD isn't going to be as lucky.

He slammed into the pulpitt/port side of the Searay, and it only got worse from there.

As you could see by the previos picture, the moron only started to lift his anchor, he never took it all the way out of the water. He aborted the anchor lifting process when he realized that his boat was moving rather rapidly and it wasn't under power or control. Needless to say, his anchor line ran up the anchor line of the Searay. The Searay owner was PISSED as he was trying to remove the anchor from his pulpitt, while the 4 meatheaded steriod monsters in the other boat watched.

After being cut loose this dumbass careened down the bay hitting about 4 or 5 more boats in the same manner, but I couldn't get a good enough view to take pics. And that is what NOT to do when a storm is approaching!
Old 01-20-2010, 12:48 PM
Registered

Received 27 Likes on 12 Posts

I wonder who paid for the gel coat repairs?
Old 01-20-2010, 02:43 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds like someone was sol that day
Old 01-22-2010, 09:50 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Yep, see that stupid sh!t here every time a wind kicks up. We used to hang tight when storms would blow in, as we always get our anchors set and EVERY boat in our line buts out their anchor. But after having the "main" line break loose and crash into us a couple of times, we now pull and run when storms come in.

Its a damn helpless (and infuriating!) feeling when a line of 20-30 boats is coming at you. The idiots seem to think that the "big boat's" anchor will hold the 20 or so ski boats and small cruisers tied up next to him. They don't grasp the concept that the "big boat" has an anchor sized to hold itself, with a margin of error. (you hope) It never occurs to them that hanging another 20 or so 3000 lbs boats on that one anchor have now added an additional 60,000 lbs that the cruiser now has to hold, and his anchor just ain't gonna be up to the task.
Old 01-22-2010, 11:25 PM
Registered
VIP Member

I just bolt when a storm is coming. I listen to the weather report and use my best judgement. So far, so good.
Old 01-23-2010, 04:19 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by anewway
Yep, see that stupid sh!t here every time a wind kicks up. We used to hang tight when storms would blow in, as we always get our anchors set and EVERY boat in our line buts out their anchor. But after having the "main" line break loose and crash into us a couple of times, we now pull and run when storms come in.

Its a damn helpless (and infuriating!) feeling when a line of 20-30 boats is coming at you. The idiots seem to think that the "big boat's" anchor will hold the 20 or so ski boats and small cruisers tied up next to him. They don't grasp the concept that the "big boat" has an anchor sized to hold itself, with a margin of error. (you hope) It never occurs to them that hanging another 20 or so 3000 lbs boats on that one anchor have now added an additional 60,000 lbs that the cruiser now has to hold, and his anchor just ain't gonna be up to the task.
That is true. I always set my own anchor and everyone always asks me why...

I usually hang tight when a storm is coming, but if the rest of the day is shot then I'll take off (ha... or go to a different spot of the lake where it isn't raining if there is one... those are some of the best days... driving around looking for sunshine on scattered shower days...
Old 02-04-2010, 05:53 PM
Registered

I was in my first boat (a 15ft Grumman center console) and had a storm sneak up on me when I was on my way back in, had her topped out at about 20mph and got into 4+ ft waves (damn big when the boat is only 15ft) before we made it to the dock. The Chris Craft is bigger but I still watch for the storms coming in. Florida storms aren't something you want to mess with out in the bay.
Old 02-04-2010, 11:52 PM
Registered

We had something like that happen a couple years ago at the local place. Storm rolled in, wind changed direction and anchors started breaking loose. I let out some more rope on mine and swam out to jump on the anchor and make sure it dug in good. As I was walking back in to the beach (slightly more than waist deep water) some jag-off in a flybridge that can't control it comes bobbing along and almost took me out. If it wasn't for everybody yelling to watch out I wouldn't have seen it in time to jump up and push away from it. After that we just got the hell out of there.

Found out later the jag-off had a jet boat out there that sank after taking a wave over the stern. Didn't feel bad about that in the least...