Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Boating Safety
I have never seen such poor safety before!!! >

I have never seen such poor safety before!!!

Notices

I have never seen such poor safety before!!!

Old 06-28-2010, 08:19 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default I have never seen such poor safety before!!!

Went out on the boat with some friends this wekend and went to a different lake than we usually go to. Our regular lake is a private gated community that only residents are allowed access (i have my boat registered to my dads house, lol). its a small lake, about 300 surface acres, but still lots of fun. the rules are pretty lax but the one rule everybody follows is that the rules of traffic apply on the water, go up the lake on oneside, come back down the other and stay right of the bouys. the lake we ventured to saturday was much larger but by far more dangerous. people were every where!! I spent the better part of the day just making sure nobody was coming at me head on!! at one point two jetskis passed by each other so close you couldnt get another one between them. another guy was in a big baja that read "A$$HOLE" across the stern and it was no understatement!! The boat was loud and all he did was run in circles makin noise and trashin up the water. dont get me wrong my boat is loud too but i would rather stretch its legs and let it run for all to hear than drive in little circles wasting fuel and being in the way. I was wondering if anybody else has had experiences like this or was it freak accident that i went to the lake on "moron day"?
The DNR was nowhere to be found until around dinner time when everybody was pretty much gone and i think all they were doing was checking for beer at the campsites. I really hope not every lake/river is like this because while we still had fun we definitely were concerned for our safety. please reply with other interesting encounters!!!
Old 06-29-2010, 08:29 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 87MagnumII
Went out on the boat with some friends this wekend and went to a different lake than we usually go to. Our regular lake is a private gated community that only residents are allowed access (i have my boat registered to my dads house, lol). its a small lake, about 300 surface acres, but still lots of fun. the rules are pretty lax but the one rule everybody follows is that the rules of traffic apply on the water, go up the lake on oneside, come back down the other and stay right of the bouys. the lake we ventured to saturday was much larger but by far more dangerous. people were every where!! I spent the better part of the day just making sure nobody was coming at me head on!! at one point two jetskis passed by each other so close you couldnt get another one between them. another guy was in a big baja that read "A$$HOLE" across the stern and it was no understatement!! The boat was loud and all he did was run in circles makin noise and trashin up the water. dont get me wrong my boat is loud too but i would rather stretch its legs and let it run for all to hear than drive in little circles wasting fuel and being in the way. I was wondering if anybody else has had experiences like this or was it freak accident that i went to the lake on "moron day"?
The DNR was nowhere to be found until around dinner time when everybody was pretty much gone and i think all they were doing was checking for beer at the campsites. I really hope not every lake/river is like this because while we still had fun we definitely were concerned for our safety. please reply with other interesting encounters!!!
Doesn't sound like anything out of the norm. Jet skiers generally run in flagrant circles with no regard to traffic. The right thing to do if a boat is coming straight at you is yield right. Make your turn noticeable so the other driver isn't guessing. As far as your baja comment, I don't see your point. You're upset that he was "too loud" and wasn't driving in a path that was approved by you? You completely lose me on that one. Welcome to everyday boating.
Old 06-29-2010, 08:37 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

I frequent rivers where you kind of have to run one way or the other. The few times I've been on a couple local lakes I've seen the same thing...kinda like herding cats, they are running in every direction!!!!!!
Old 06-30-2010, 07:01 AM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mastercraft240
Doesn't sound like anything out of the norm. Jet skiers generally run in flagrant circles with no regard to traffic. The right thing to do if a boat is coming straight at you is yield right. Make your turn noticeable so the other driver isn't guessing. As far as your baja comment, I don't see your point. You're upset that he was "too loud" and wasn't driving in a path that was approved by you? You completely lose me on that one. Welcome to everyday boating.
It doesnt bother me that the boat was loud because mine is too. I just didnt understand why he just was driving in small circles (not even up on plane, just had the bow pointing at the sky and going round and round in a 50 ft circle right in the middle of a high traffic area) chopping up the water. its public water he can do what he wants but is almost like he was trying to be in everybodys way on purpose. i wish he would have actually got the boat running a little, it was good looking and sounded good, just kinda in the way and i wanted to see it coming down the water, im not upset, just bumfuzzled about some peoples behavior, lol
Old 07-01-2010, 06:34 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pretty sure you were not at LOTO you didn't mention 6ft crusier wakes.
Old 07-01-2010, 08:08 PM
Crazy Energy
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Donzi Dude
Pretty sure you were not at LOTO you didn't mention 6ft crusier wakes.
Like this one. Watch it to the very end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mqe4YsHKllM
Old 07-01-2010, 09:17 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Velocity Vector

allmost bit it

looks like the Apache is haulling ass!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfhbzXgxUvo

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.

Last edited by Strip Poker 388; 07-01-2010 at 09:20 PM.
Old 07-01-2010, 09:50 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 65 Posts

Ohhhh KC, that was a fun day!!!!! Sometimes I even miss the purple monster. Hope old yeller will sufice now...
Old 07-01-2010, 11:25 PM
Crazy Energy
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Strip Poker 388
allmost bit it

looks like the Apache is haulling ass!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfhbzXgxUvo
All those boat run at least 80 and some a little faster. The Apache 41 and the Fountain are hard to keep up with but we gave her hell trying.
Old 07-02-2010, 09:29 AM
Registered

Received 280 Likes on 169 Posts

All those boat run at least 80 and some a little faster. The Apache 41 and the Fountain are hard to keep up with but we gave her hell trying.
When are we going to do that again?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.