Is anyone wearing helmets when boating.

Notices

Is anyone wearing helmets when boating.

Old 04-23-2011, 12:21 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by A.O. Razor
I would agree. I don't see any reason to wear a helmet on a fun day on the water, cruising around at 45-50 mph. But when your doing a poker run or anything else where your going 90+ for long periods, I do agree with Brian41, that helmets would be a good thing. With the standard being 100+ mph these days, the water is pretty hard if you hit it, not to mention if you crash with another boat. I think it's a bit like bicycle helmets, people have to get used to see others wear them.
+1 agreed...
Old 04-23-2011, 06:28 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No thanks I'll take my chances, it's always hard to argue against anything safety related but my opinion is if safety was my primary concern I'd stay at the house locked in the basement. Instead I'll enjoy life the way it has been for many generations. The day life jackets and helmets are mandatory to go boating I'll sell my boat that day.
Old 05-16-2011, 06:39 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 179 Likes on 66 Posts

About 20 years ago when I used to do a little racing in the APBA, they had an interesting take on helmets. They were mandatory, but also required a Lifeline vest. Why you might ask? Because the Lifeline vests have a special "skid collar" built in.

If you wore a helmet and a vest without a skid collar, you ran the risk of the helment "bucketing" (their term) as you slid feet first across the top of the water. When the helmet bucketed, the rear of the helmet would grab the water and snap your neck. Needless to say, I wore both. And, I decided not to wear a helmet without a Lifeline vest when I wasn't racing.
Old 05-17-2011, 07:01 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Too Stroked
About 20 years ago when I used to do a little racing in the APBA, they had an interesting take on helmets. They were mandatory, but also required a Lifeline vest. Why you might ask? Because the Lifeline vests have a special "skid collar" built in.

If you wore a helmet and a vest without a skid collar, you ran the risk of the helment "bucketing" (their term) as you slid feet first across the top of the water. When the helmet bucketed, the rear of the helmet would grab the water and snap your neck. Needless to say, I wore both. And, I decided not to wear a helmet without a Lifeline vest when I wasn't racing.
Very good point indeed TS. Never thought about that one. Do you still wear a helmet when running PR's, FR's, shootouts ect.?
Old 05-17-2011, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by mlb75
No thanks I'll take my chances, it's always hard to argue against anything safety related but my opinion is if safety was my primary concern I'd stay at the house locked in the basement. Instead I'll enjoy life the way it has been for many generations. The day life jackets and helmets are mandatory to go boating I'll sell my boat that day.
ditto
Old 05-17-2011, 05:11 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 179 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by A.O. Razor
Very good point indeed TS. Never thought about that one. Do you still wear a helmet when running PR's, FR's, shootouts ect.?
To tell you the absolute truth, no. I gave up racing many moons ago. When the club I belong to (Rochester Offshore) used to have radar runs, I just wore the PFDs without a helmet. (Our club rules for Poker Runs only require PFD's.) In fact, I sold my Lifeline's about 10 years ago and only wear one of those high speed bass boat PFD's now.

I will agree that helmets - especially full face helments do make things more comfortable sometimes. The last club race I ever entered (and won) was on the Niagara River near Buffalo, NY and we had 2' waves and pouring / driving rain. I had an open face helmet and my navigator had a full face. By the time we finished, my face looked and felt like raw meat.
Old 05-19-2011, 11:46 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by ECeptor
No offense to you, but I think that cop is full of crap. No way someone is injured more by wearing a helmet sliding along the asphalt vs a bare head. Roads are like cheese graters on human flesh. I also don't believe his "died of burns" theory. The MotoGP guys wreck all the time and slide huge distances and many times get right up on their feet. No way in Hell they'd do that if they didn't have a helmet and full leathers.

With that said, a helmet and leathers won't help you if you hit something (like a guard railing or telephone pole) at speed. But, there is no doubt wearing full gear on your bike will reduce your risk and magnitude of injury.

I can't believe a Hi-Po was so stupid to say something like that.

+100
Old 05-19-2011, 05:16 PM
ENABLER
Platinum Member

My bro and I used to rip the lagoons of Mystic Island N.J. & Great Bay in the late 70's-early 80's always wearing helmets & vests---
Greatbay vid from "85"---Damn I feel old!
http://www.vimeo.com/3914089

Last edited by BLAZE; 05-19-2011 at 05:20 PM.
Old 05-23-2011, 10:34 PM
Registered

Do u guys think that 1 day helmets will be mandatory at Poker Runs ?.....for the lead pack boats going 150+... I just got back from DS last month, and there were a few boats out there going 170+ , even 185mph, no helmets.....
Old 05-24-2011, 04:37 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by PokerRun388
Do u guys think that 1 day helmets will be mandatory at Poker Runs ?.....for the lead pack boats going 150+... I just got back from DS last month, and there were a few boats out there going 170+ , even 185mph, no helmets.....
Nah, not really. It is more or less up to the organizers of each PR and powerboat clubs ect. If anything, it would be a law regarding boats, capable of certain speeds,and not PR's alone. My bet is no it won't. My guess is, that the future will bring more speed limits thou. No expert on this, just my thoughts.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.