Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Boating Safety
Is anyone wearing helmets when boating. >

Is anyone wearing helmets when boating.

Notices

Is anyone wearing helmets when boating.

Old 09-26-2010, 12:22 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is anyone wearing helmets when boating.

How many are wearing helmets during PR's, FR's, shootouts ect.? I've been thinking about it, after a friend of mine, got a skull fracture a couple of weeks ago, when he's boat stuffed, and he hit the windshield frame on he's Formula 292 with he's forehead. Luckily no one else was seriously hurt.
Old 09-26-2010, 01:55 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We did at the fall poker run because of rain, we were the only boat that had them.My wife and I did last year on a poker run but a some people thought we were nuts saying it is not a race. If I you running 90 MPH in the ruff I think it should be mandatory.
Attached Thumbnails Is anyone wearing helmets when boating.-me-ern-custom-.jpg  
Old 09-26-2010, 02:04 PM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

If not actually racing or running insanely fast people will find it odd and laugh at you. Head injury's don't seem to be very common so we just wear vests.
Old 09-26-2010, 03:01 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by thirdchildhood
If not actually racing or running insanely fast people will find it odd and laugh at you. Head injury's don't seem to be very common so we just wear vests.
I would agree. I don't see any reason to wear a helmet on a fun day on the water, cruising around at 45-50 mph. But when your doing a poker run or anything else where your going 90+ for long periods, I do agree with Brian41, that helmets would be a good thing. With the standard being 100+ mph these days, the water is pretty hard if you hit it, not to mention if you crash with another boat. I think it's a bit like bicycle helmets, people have to get used to see others wear them.
Old 09-26-2010, 03:15 PM
Registered

I always wear a vest and if I am going to be running hard in the ocean I will put a helmet on.Yes people will find it odd and laugh but I really don't care most of the members here on this board that have been killed would have been saved had they been wearing a PFD.

About 15 years ago I was running my Jet-Ski late Oct early Nov.I always loved that time as there was no one else out there and I had a full wet suit.One night got home early from work took the ski out running WOT hit a wave wrong got thrown off.I hit my ankle on the way off very hard and at the time thought it was broke.The ski was 100 ft away but stopped as I had my kill switch on.(great invention) So I am in the water with what I thought was broken ankle no one is around so I swim back to the ski using only my arms drag myself up onto it.I could not bent my ankle but kinda figued out at this point is was just a bad sprain and not broken
But had I not had a vest on or been wearing my kill switch might have turned out different.Oh and its the same scenario for a boat only you will be hurt worse.
Old 09-26-2010, 03:31 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Expensive Date
I always wear a vest and if I am going to be running hard in the ocean I will put a helmet on.Yes people will find it odd and laugh but I really don't care most of the members here on this board that have been killed would have been saved had they been wearing a PFD.

About 15 years ago I was running my Jet-Ski late Oct early Nov.I always loved that time as there was no one else out there and I had a full wet suit.One night got home early from work took the ski out running WOT hit a wave wrong got thrown off.I hit my ankle on the way off very hard and at the time thought it was broke.The ski was 100 ft away but stopped as I had my kill switch on.(great invention) So I am in the water with what I thought was broken ankle no one is around so I swim back to the ski using only my arms drag myself up onto it.I could not bent my ankle but kinda figued out at this point is was just a bad sprain and not broken
But had I not had a vest on or been wearing my kill switch might have turned out different.Oh and its the same scenario for a boat only you will be hurt worse.
No one will laugh at you for wearing a PFD IMO. The Coasties like to see it and there is no shame in wearing one. I insist that everyone wear one on my boat if we are running fast or if the water is rough. No helmets though.
Old 09-26-2010, 03:37 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by thirdchildhood
No one will laugh at you for wearing a PFD IMO. The Coasties like to see it and there is no shame in wearing one. I insist that everyone wear one on my boat if we are running fast or if the water is rough. No helmets though.
They must be laughing at me for another reason then.
Old 09-26-2010, 04:10 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Expensive Date
They must be laughing at me for another reason then.
Maybe because you wiped out big time and sent the PWC flying 100'
Old 09-26-2010, 04:29 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

I've carried a helmet for years......and have only used it in the rain. If you want to wear it, more power to you. I'm not going to judge you, and don't judge me.
Old 09-26-2010, 04:43 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, if the asian carp ever gets into lake michigan like they say they WILL and they almost are here... you can bet your A$$ I will be wearing a lid...

and a video for your viewing pleasure for those who aren't up to speed on the big bastards and the damage they do...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLFe8xfgx24

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.