Can I ask a dumb Question?

Notices

Can I ask a dumb Question?

Old 07-14-2011, 10:16 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Great Job!

Originally Posted by rich allen
Everyone here was a novice a some point. Here's a couple hot tips I can think of for you that will already put you ahead of many boaters if you follow them. Load your boat before you get to the ramp. So often you will see boaters carrying coolers, etc. down to the dock after boat is in water. Not a good way to win friends when theres a line of boats waiting to launch. Someone else also mentioned having your dock lines already tied to cleats when you back in. Makes things alot easier for you and whomever will be securing your boat while you park the trailer. When in water. no-one should ever be allowed to sit on sun pad or swim step when boat is running. Make it a habit to not even start boat if someone is back there. And when back at ramp at end of day, pound it in your head that the first thing you do when shutting off motor is to raise the drive. It should be second nature to you. Good Luck and have fun. Most of all, safety first for you and your guests.
All excellent points, I hope he reads your post! Im glad you brought up the points at the launch ramp, bcuz I see this time and time again, boaters' holding up the ramps, bcuz they are not prepared, and didn't go over their check list before they got to the ramp, then we all have to sit and wait, usually baking in the hot, summer heat....
Old 07-14-2011, 11:45 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Nevad Fish And Game tip Saved my Butt!

I had a Rienell tri hull that I had bought really cheap to fix up and sell. I went through the water pump tuned it up went through the carb etc had it running really good.
Anyway I was reading the Nevada Fish and Game boaters guide while this was going on.
And one of the tips they suggested was while your tied up to the dock start your engine and check all your gauges temp oil etc and of course check for water leaks in the back engine. Once the engine , temp is stabilized and the thermostat has opended up and the temp gauge is right where its at and you have no fuel or water leaks then shove off the dock. So what if every body is pissed you took a little time to start and stabilize. The'll get over it. /
Any way I took my boat down to the dock had my mom stay in the boat. I started it up tied up to the dock drove the trailer up to park it I came back down and Mom was screaming at me the engine was smokin! I hurried down shut it off and looked at the engine and it was really hot! I thought WTF happend that pump and everything is all brand new! I got the truck and trailer pulled the boat out of the water and I took the boat up and checked it out the inlet hose for the drive was the wrong hose and was kinked and had popped off. If I had shoved off like other people and started it up and headed out into the lake chances are I would of smoked the engine and had to paddle back. That one set of advice From Fish and Game saved my butt! Othere lesson to be learned put the right marine hose on there! DU! I call it start and stabilize. I really did save me.
Old 07-14-2011, 01:49 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 771 Likes on 352 Posts

Yeah - I always raise the hatch, look around for leaks, and I also walk back to the swim platform and check to make sure they are pumping water....
Old 07-14-2011, 02:23 PM
Registered

Can't believe no one has mentioned this before, BLOWER, BLOWER, BLOWER!!! ALWAYS run your blower for several minutes prior to cranking. Especially on an older boat that may or may not have a big warning sticker next to the ignition. After seeing more than one engine hatch being blown 50 ft in the air, I am VERY anal about running the blower. Also, like others said, prepare your boat BEFORE you get to the ramp, but by no means, let someone behind you rush you, that's when you make mistakes and forget things. Hopefully the guy behind you will remember when HE was a rookie. Be safe, and have fun!!!
Old 07-14-2011, 04:17 PM
Registered

Default Good point

Yeah nobodys mentioned the blower. I had the dog house out competely off and back at the house anything there was in there blew out. If you open the hatch first and let the engine ventilate out before strart it do you still need to run the blower? I guess if there is fuel vapors settled in the bottom of the bilge you should anyway?
4 minute of blower? Whats the rule of thumb?
Old 07-14-2011, 10:57 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Depending on how far you have to drive you can turn the blower on and let it run on your way to the water. Or maybe turn it on just before you get to the ramp when you stop for beer and ice. 3-5 minutes is usually good and make sure all of your bilge vent hose is in place as well. And also use blower when idling around at low speed
Old 07-14-2011, 11:09 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Good Point

Originally Posted by CrownHawg
Can't believe no one has mentioned this before, BLOWER, BLOWER, BLOWER!!! ALWAYS run your blower for several minutes prior to cranking. Especially on an older boat that may or may not have a big warning sticker next to the ignition. After seeing more than one engine hatch being blown 50 ft in the air, I am VERY anal about running the blower. Also, like others said, prepare your boat BEFORE you get to the ramp, but by no means, let someone behind you rush you, that's when you make mistakes and forget things. Hopefully the guy behind you will remember when HE was a rookie. Be safe, and have fun!!!
Yes, I completely forgot... EXCELLENT POINT!

Very good advice to every boater!!
Old 07-15-2011, 11:53 AM
Registered

Default Blower

While backing down with the blower on can you open the hatch also for added ventilation?

I asked eariler but what is the rule of thumb for the amound of rope for your anchor. For small fresh water lakes?

Thanks guys for all your invlauable input.

Roger
Old 07-15-2011, 12:41 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 771 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by BAD ASS SCARAB
While backing down with the blower on can you open the hatch also for added ventilation?

I asked eariler but what is the rule of thumb for the amound of rope for your anchor. For small fresh water lakes?

Thanks guys for all your invlauable input.

Roger
I don't even use my blower - I just open the hatch and have a poke and sniff around.
Old 07-15-2011, 12:49 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by seafordguy
I don't even use my blower - I just open the hatch and have a poke and sniff around.
That makes two of us. I never use the blower anymore. I never start up with the hatch closed. It's always open.

On my Baja, at some point the propeller somehow became dislodged from the blower motor shaft. I have no idea when it happened or how long it was like that at the time I discovered it. So there I was turning the blower on before each start, I'd listen and hear it turning and thought everything is just fine. Luckily I never needed it, because if there ever was fuel vapor present I would have blown up.

There's just so many things that can go wrong with blower ventilation, blower failures like mine and clogged hoses/tubes, etc., that I just don't trust them.

The first thing I do before firing up is a quick cursory inspection of the engines anyway, check oil, check drive fluid level, belt condition and tension, sea strainer clarity, etc. In the meantime, your bilge is being ventilated. Lastly, while in the bilge I sniff around to ensure there are no fumes present. Then I fire up and look again to make sure water's flowing, the belts are turning and all that good stuff.

Finally, if for some strange reason there are vapors present which do ignite, it's best to have the hatch open anyway, rather than closed. The firecracker theory: If one blows up in your hand with your palm open it will sting a little, but if you make a fist you'll likely lose some fingers.

Last edited by CigDaze; 07-15-2011 at 12:58 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.