Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Boating Safety
Help with Backing into dock space with twin engines. >

Help with Backing into dock space with twin engines.

Notices

Help with Backing into dock space with twin engines.

Old 11-04-2013, 08:00 AM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

NOTE: If your props spin in vs out the boat may react differently than someone elses......(spinning in generally is harder to control around the docks)
Old 11-04-2013, 10:35 AM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I have used this method but i don't recommend it.http://youtu.be/R6J2q1-_V28
Old 11-04-2013, 11:02 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisL
My previous boat was a 24 Outlaw so most of the time I never needed to back into a dock space. Since I didn't need to I basically never did. Now I have a 35 ZR and need to learn this procedure. I know with twin engines you can put one in forward and one in reverse to turn the boat but I have only done this a couple times. Is there a tech. That works better for you I would love to hear people's descriptions of the process. Which engine in forward or reverse etc. Thanks
Checked your other posts, and it looks like your props are spinning in. Assuming they stay that way, the boat is not going to react as well as if they were spinning out. As such, 'your mileage may vary" with the suggestions and things you read by others.

MOST IMPORTANT: Make sure your drives are STRAIGHT before you try to dock. If I have not idled in for a fair distance assuring me that my drives are straight, I'll pause, climb over the supad and and take a look for myself; or have an adept passenger do so for me.

Driving a twin engine boat is like driving a tank or a Bobcat. Visualize this just like the tracks on the ground.
If your SB drive is in forward, and the Port drive is in reverse, the boat is going to spin toward Port.
If your Port drive is in forward, and the SB drive is in reverse, the boat is going to spin toward SB.

One is pushing and one is pulling. The one that is pushing the boat in Forward is always going to be dominant (given still water and breeze).

You don't always have to have both of them in gear. You can use just one for slight movements, but the one in gear will also provide travel, vs. predominately pivot when both are engaged in opposing directions.

If you are backing into a dock, you probably do not need to have both of them in Reverse. Just back in with one, and leave the other one in neutral at the ready. Unless you are fighting a current, breeze, or collision, you really don't need to back up that fast; until you have your captain's license.

You crab the boat sideways by alternating; both drives, in opposite directions.
i.e.:
Port in Reverse, SB in Forward
Port in Forward, SB in Reverse

ALWAYS pause in neutral for a moment to allow the friction of the water to stop the prop before engaging the opposite gear. If you want to move to Port, spend more time with the Starboard side in forward. Again, this is ALL assuming no tide/current/wind.

This will take a while to be an expert. Eventually, you will never want to drive a single engine boat again.
Just don't touch the wheel and you will be miles ahead.

Last, this is a visual that I use for some people. Imagine the shifters are laid out flat, and they are spokes of huge steering wheel on a bus. If you put the SB side in Forward, and the Port side in Reverse, effectively you are "grabbing the spokes of that wheel and turning it to the left a.k.a. Port". This helps beginners understand which way the boat is going to turn.

Eventually, you will learn that you can use the throttle at the same time. If you want to "yank" the boat around in one direction, blip and sometimes hold the throttle up around 2x idle or so to get make one drive more dominant. HOWEVER, don't take your hand off the throttle. You must return back to idle before you shift out of gear into neutral and head for opposite direction.
For this reason, I really like throttles and shifters that are in the same pod, vs. separate.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 11-04-2013 at 02:36 PM.
Old 11-04-2013, 11:03 AM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Both hands on shifters, drive it like a bulldozer.

Don't be afraid to use the wheel too
Old 11-04-2013, 02:29 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
Checked your other posts, and it looks like your props are spinning in. Assuming they stay that way, the boat is not going to react as well as if they were spinning out. As such, 'your mileage may vary" with the suggestions and things you read by others.

MOST IMPORTANT: Make sure your drives are STRAIGHT before you try to dock. If I have not idled in for a fair distance assuring me that my drives are straight, I'll pause, climb over the supad and and take a look for myself; or have an adept passenger do so for me.

Driving a twin engine boat is like driving a tank or a Bobcat. Visualize this just like the tracks on the ground.
If your SB drive is in forward, and the Port drive is in reverse, the boat is going to spin toward Port.
If your Port drive is in forward, and the SB drive is in reverse, the boat is going to spin toward SB.

One is pushing and one is pulling. The one that is pushing the boat in Forward is always going to be dominant (given still water and breeze).

You don't always have to have both of them in gear. You can use just one for slight movements, but the one in gear will also provide travel, vs. predominately pivot when both are engaged in opposing directions.

If you are backing into a dock, you probably do not need to have both of them in Reverse. Just back in with one, and leave the other one in neutral at the ready. Unless you are fighting a current, breeze, or collision, you really don't need to back up that fast; until you have your captain's license.

You crab the boat sideways by alternating; both drives, in opposite directions.
i.e.:

ALWAYS pause in neutral for a moment to allow the friction of the water to stop the prop before engaging the opposite gear. If you want to move to Port, spend more time with the Starboard side in forward. Again, this is ALL assuming no tide/current/wide.

This will take a while to be an expert. Eventually, you will never want to drive a single engine boat again.
Just don't touch the wheel and you will be miles ahead.

Last, this is a visual that I use for some people. Imagine the shifters are laid out flat, and they are spokes of huge steering wheel on a bus. If you put the SB side in Forward, and the Port side in Reverse, effectively you are "grabbing the spokes of that wheel and turning it to the left a.k.a. Port". This helps beginners understand which way the boat is going to turn.

Eventually, you will learn that you can use the throttle at the same time. If you want to "yank" the boat around in one direction, blip and sometimes hold the throttle up around 2x idle or so to get make one drive more dominant. HOWEVER, don't take your hand off the throttle. You must return back to idle before you shift out of gear into neutral and head for opposite direction.
For this reason, I really like throttles and shifters that are in the same pod, vs. separate.
Thank you excellent description. The first couple times I tried this I kept trying to do it with steering and not keeping the drives straight. I understand the motion and movement of the motors forward and reverse but was trying to steer it as we'll. Can,t wait to play with this when the docks are deserted early next spring!!!!!
Old 11-04-2013, 03:29 PM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

http://youtu.be/W36rDKl4T5s
Old 11-04-2013, 03:40 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by 30ftpanther
Anyone can walk a boat sideways with a bow thruster!
Old 11-04-2013, 04:25 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 30ftpanther
I have used this method but i don't recommend it.http://youtu.be/R6J2q1-_V28
That's what I am trying to avoid!
Old 11-04-2013, 09:04 PM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks Sydwayz.. I have been trying to figure the crab walk out!! Was always trying to use steering.. I.e. to go to P. Turn hard to S, then fwd w/S and rev w/ P trying to push it over.. not too successful I might add.

Don't need to crab walk too often, but that lil trick comes in handy when you have newbies with you and sit and watch while your 3-4 feet from dock and they don't offer to grab the rope thats in your hand while your glaring at them as if to say.. "hello mcfly grab the f'n rope!"

Old 11-04-2013, 09:32 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

One thing it took me a while to figure out is that if the wind is blowing somewhat constant, you will be able to find the right mix of reverse and foward with throttle on one to essentially hold your movement straight. So for example, you might have one drive in reverse, the other forward and one might need just a little bit of throttle to stabilize you. Then going from there you can fine tune your backing in with small blips of reverse.

I have a slip that gets some awful wind and no break wall, so I've had to get pretty good at finding a way to balance those rollers pushing me further down. This seems to work well.

The throttle on a single drive can make a big difference in the attitude of the boat.

That said...this is useful for windy conditions. If it's nice and smooth, I'd probably keep out of the throttle Patience will get the job done in that case.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.