Maiden Voyage at LOTO

Notices

Maiden Voyage at LOTO

Old 05-29-2008, 01:40 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Maiden Voyage at LOTO

Finally got my 1999 Checkmate 283 Convincor to LOTO for Memorial Day Weekend and had a blast with it. I have some learning to do on docking and driving it, but I'm already improving. I was impressed with the rough water handling. Had it out of the water a few times, but she settled back in just fine. Good stuff.

I have a question or two. The port motor (454 Mag EFI) wasn't idling well and died on me a few times. The marina that surveyed it suggested replacing the IAC (Idle Air Control) motor. I'm starting at ground zero and wonder if this sounds right. I'll be digging into my manuals and figuring things out. I have no idea what one of these costs.

I wouldn't mind replacing the gages before too long and adding a GPS Speedo. Any recommendations out there for the best high-quality gauges to fit into the stock dash? These gauges didn't fill me with the highest of confidence.

I had the starboard drive reservoir spitting some drive fluid out and was told it's likely a bad cap, or rather the rubber piece that's part of the cap. Obviously, the fluid is gonna expand with heat. I switched caps to troubleshoot but didn't run as hard after that and haven't finished my "investigation". Anyone else have this issue?

Also looking for suggestions on lighter, higher-performance exhaust manifolds and drive showers that will work with the external Mayfair hydraulic steering.

I know that's a lotta info, but I figured I may as well pick some brains out there in Checkmate Land.

Thanks!
Old 06-04-2008, 10:22 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We got our new to us zt330 out on memorial day weekend as well. And what fun it was.

As for the IAC, to my knowledge (car mechanic) the IAC allows the motor to idle properly, that are electroically controlled. If the motor dies when idling, I'd begin with an IAC. I checked prices on them and they are under 100 bucks. cant remember exact price. Shouldnt be too bad to replace either. A few screws and a connector.

Gagues can get expensive from what Ive seen, typically about 150 each and up. A GPS speedo would be nice, and is quite price if I recall. Livorsi has a nice combo gauge that has gps speedo, prop slip, etc, but its about 800+. I just got a new GPS with a speedo so that will work for me.

The drive resevoirs alays leak from those stupid yellow caps. The design on them suck, and they can be replced for cheap money. I just got 2 for mine, I think the were about 20 each. Definately receommend them since they help keep the fluid free from water and the bilge clean.

For the exhaust, I honeslty have no idea, I have Quick and Quiet 2 on mine from factory, so thats pretty much all I know. Others on the board would have more info on that, you may need to post in another section of the forum to get responses.
Hope that helps.
~Mike
Old 06-04-2008, 06:24 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by beamog
As for the IAC, to my knowledge (car mechanic) the IAC allows the motor to idle properly, that are electroically controlled. If the motor dies when idling, I'd begin with an IAC. I checked prices on them and they are under 100 bucks. cant remember exact price. Shouldnt be too bad to replace either. A few screws and a connector.
Is this a marine-specific part or can it be bought cheaper at a car parts place?

The drive resevoirs alays leak from those stupid yellow caps. The design on them suck, and they can be replced for cheap money. I just got 2 for mine, I think the were about 20 each. Definately receommend them since they help keep the fluid free from water and the bilge clean.
Are these caps a standard part or did you upgrade to a different type/brand? Where did you get them?

Thanks for the feedback! It's slow here in Checkmate Land.
Old 06-05-2008, 10:23 AM
Registered

The IAC is a marine specific item. they are sealed better and such and 'supposed' to stand up the the elemets better than typical car parts. I wouldnt slack on items like that.

The caps are an aftermarket item, the factory ones suck. Any of the performance parts vendors advertising on the boards typically have them. I got mine from Diamond performace. They are all basically the same, just different colors.

I had the same difficulty getting info when I was looking into purchasing my boat. Sometimes if you post general questions in other sections of the forum you'l get more responses. The Checkmates are a rare breed around here, so be happy you didnt buy a 'bellybutton' <snicker>
Old 06-05-2008, 10:18 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

The IAC is a marine specific item. they are sealed better and such and 'supposed' to stand up the the elemets better than typical car parts. I wouldnt slack on items like that.

The caps are an aftermarket item, the factory ones suck. Any of the performance parts vendors advertising on the boards typically have them. I got mine from Diamond performace. They are all basically the same, just different colors.

I had the same difficulty getting info when I was looking into purchasing my boat. Sometimes if you post general questions in other sections of the forum you'l get more responses. The Checkmates are a rare breed around here, so be happy you didnt buy a 'bellybutton' <snicker>

LOL

I've always dug having something different as long as it's quality. I heard good things about the Checkmates and decided I'd start looking at them as well. So far, so good. I found an "offer I couldn't refuse"...

Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate it. Here's a pic of the boat's first trip to LOTO:
Attached Thumbnails Maiden Voyage at LOTO-checkmate_loto_40.jpg  

Last edited by Keytime; 06-05-2008 at 10:30 PM.
Old 06-06-2008, 05:38 PM
Registered

Nice looking boat, congrats!

I would get some Eddie marine leak proof trims caps they are like $15. Livorsi or Auto meters gauges would be great replacements. The iac controls are that expensive and are easy to replace, I would give your motor sometime on "fresh" fuel and see what happnens. Simerek drive showers seem to be what everyone is recommending these days.
Old 06-08-2008, 08:14 PM
Registered

Keytime, does your screen name have anything to do with Enduro racing. Was curious after seeing your bike in the picture.
Old 06-09-2008, 06:54 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Fast Willy
Keytime, does your screen name have anything to do with Enduro racing. Was curious after seeing your bike in the picture.
Yep! I race the Black Jack Enduro Circuit here in the midwest. With the new boat and other obligations, I've backed off the pace a little this year. Took me 9 years to get to the AA class and NOW I'm taking a break. But no worries... I'll be back at it hard once I get the boat and it's storage all sorted out. I also competed in Red Bull's Last Man Standing event down in Texas the last two years. Pretty much just a survival kind of thing, but fun to do before I get old(er) and smart. lol

BTW, that's the boat's name, too: KEYTIME

How about you? Do you race?

And thanks for all the help, guys!

Last edited by Keytime; 06-09-2008 at 06:59 PM.
Old 06-09-2008, 06:57 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Magic Medicine
Nice looking boat, congrats!

I would get some Eddie marine leak proof trims caps they are like $15. Livorsi or Auto meters gauges would be great replacements. The iac controls are that expensive and are easy to replace, I would give your motor sometime on "fresh" fuel and see what happnens. Simerek drive showers seem to be what everyone is recommending these days.
Are these the caps you're referring to?

http://www.eddiemarine.com/store/car...l&p=13743&c=38
Old 06-10-2008, 10:32 AM
Registered

Boat looks nice man, good luck with everything and enjoy

Quick Reply: Maiden Voyage at LOTO

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.